Labour Leadership : Reboot 2019

Mountain Goat

Re: Labour Leadership : Reboot 2019

Post by Mountain Goat »

Montana wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:42 pm
ETA - And I also think that if and when the Sun and the like do get hold of this the danger is going to be that the backlash against trans people could be enormous and really unpleasant.
I think this is a very real danger. I foolishly ended up in a conversation about this with Mr G's Daily Mail Brexit dad as it was refreshing to not completely disagree until I realised that everything I was saying he was twisting into fuel for his own anti-trans argument. :ruby:
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Montana

Post by Montana »

Yes, I can just see exactly that kind of scenario on a nationwide level once this becomes reported in the popular press - especially as we seem to be living in an era where nuanced debate has become increasingly rare.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

The right wing press are covering it. The Spectator, Times and Telegraph have all run (relatively sensible) pieces on it. Janice Turner (Times) and James Kirkup (Spectator) have been doing brilliant work and frothing with bafflement for years now. The Telegraph spins it as woke Labour lefty weird. It's also seen a bit, I think, as a women's issue, and disregarded as a consequence. The Daily Mail has been plugging away with TRANS INSANITY but it just sits there along with the rest of their PC Gone Mad type content and I doubt anyone who reads it takes it massively seriously as an issue which could change the way public spaces operate. This is part of the problem. It's viewed/disregarded as a woman's issue, it's associated with the right wing (you can accidentally find yourself on the same side as a US evangelist with a surrendered wife). It's complex and nuanced. And like, none of us lot are going to share a Daily Mail article with friends and say 'LOOK AT WHAT IS HAPPENING?' are we?
Last edited by Bat Macdui on Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

The Olympics might blow it fully open though.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

You are good. :zirk:
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Needed a hobby after Brexit. :mrgreen:
Montana

Post by Montana »

Interesting! I'd assumed that the broadsheets wouldn't have entirely ignored it but I'd assumed that because I hadn't seen it in glaring outraged headlines on the covers on the Mail or the Sun, they weren't reporting it at all.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Red wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:19 pm I do get what you are saying, Morgs.

The really worrying and sad element of the young transitioners for me is the whistleblowing from the Tavistock staff who claim that some parents have openly said they would rather have a trans kid than a gay one. One clinician was sure that a father insisting his daughter go on puberty blockers was a paedophile.
My cousin is going through the Tavistock clinic. We have been worrying about him enough doing this as he's autistic and we don't think that has been dealt with "properly" for want of a better word but this worries me even more.

I don't dare watch that discussion about rapists being in women's prisons but can I ask how people reacted to it?
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I’ve voted. Keir (and Lisa Nandy #2) then Angela Rayner for deputy.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Who the hell is everyone voting for as Deputy? I could research but I'm not sure I can bring myself to care enough if it's not a Richard on the Nevill line at the moment. :mrgreen:
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I'm leaning towards none of them. Rayner will storm it anyway.
Malan
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I haven’t got my ballot paper yet.

An email came round yesterday saying anyone without one by tomorrow (today) should call a number, so I’ll wait for the post, but it’s cutting things fine.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Have you not got a log in for an online vote, Morgs?

I feel I should have a go at Not Raynor. Is Ian Murray still in? Do we know anything about him?
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I wanted to ask the same question - he's the only one except Burgon who hasn't signed the pledge I think, but has no chance. I think some good people nominated him.

I have voted for leader but the browser crapped out when it came to deputy which was just as well because I did not know what to do.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Oh ok good, I didn't know what to do about deputy either, even after some light googling, so I just left it. I felt too embarrassed to mention that here but you've all made me feel better :mog:
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I wasn’t sure either so I panic voted Rayner and now regret it. I should have gone for the Scottish chap instead.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Bat Macdui wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:59 am Have you not got a log in for an online vote, Morgs?
No. I got an email yesterday saying that anyone who hadn't got a ballot paper by today should contact Leadership 2020 and let them know. I have been busy all day, so have just done it, so fingers crossed they can do something in time.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Did everyone vote in the end?

I nearly forgot. In the end I went Keir 1 and Lisa 2. Didn’t vote for the other one, I don’t like her.

For deputy I chose AR, then RAK, then I forget but Burgon was last.
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:30 pm Did everyone vote in the end?

I nearly forgot. In the end I went Keir 1 and Lisa 2. Didn’t vote for the other one, I don’t like her.

For deputy I chose AR, then RAK, then I forget but Burgon was last.
Yeah. I voted the same.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
smalex

Post by smalex »

I voted, what seems like, a lifetime ago. Kier first, nandy second. Something something for deputy #payingattention