Care workers and the vaccine

smalex

Re: Care workers and the vaccine

Post by smalex »

In terms of this particular vaccine, I think it is an exceptional situation above all others, in that people are so vulnerable, we don't know everything about how effective the vaccines will be, over what time period and any day there could be a new variant which puts us back several steps. To allow someone to work- intimately and frequently- with the most vulnerable of people, without taking every reasonable measure (and I personally think a vaccine is a reasonable measure) seems irresponsible.

I do take your point Ken, about the lack of pay, training and care given to care workers, but I think that's an issue which also needs sorting out, rather than an issue which makes the above ok. IYSWIM.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I think it’s pretty bad to insist care workers take it but not NHS staff. There’s only a 76% take up where I work which I think is very poor.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Yes, I think the disparity (with the NHS) would enrage me if I was a care worker. I do agree that the poor conditions don't necessarily make it ok, but I guess I'd feel a bit outraged if my current employer was telling me what to, and that would have been hugely exacerbated if it was the care home when I worked there because of the conditions.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

It's everyone who goes into a care home. So many of my colleagues who visit now and then to carry out a review or whatever also need the double vaccine. I heard they were going to roll it out ot wider social care staff, and that would cover me as I come under that dept, though I am not a care worker.

I've worked at places where you need hep etc. Many workers in hostels and homeless services need that as well.
Malan
smalex

Post by smalex »

So if you're visiting a relative you must be vaccinated? That's good.

I know its harder in hospitals but my friend's husband was admitted (not covid related) on Monday and it took until Wednesday to covid test him which seemed bonkers to me.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I'm rather impatient with anti-vaxxers and don't see why they are happy to have all the other vaccinations they need but not this one because of something they read on Facebook. I get why this is becoming mandatory, but I still feel a bit uncomfortable about it, but I'm more uncomfortable about unvaccinated people looking after vulnerable people who have no choice in the matter.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I don’t think we should look at this as a mandatory vaccine though, people do still have a choice whether to have it or not. All we are saying is that if you want to work in an industry where you are caring for some of the most vulnerable in society then you must do the responsible thing and make sure you are vaccinated. I also agree that those that work in the NHS should be mandatory jabbed too. They have to receive various other jabs if they treat patients (like hepatitis) so why not this one?

I’m really concerned at the rise of the anti vaxx movement and how many people seem to believe it. I think it’s a real anti government movement, and while I obviously don’t think we shouldn’t question and hold the government to account on everything it does, this movement seems really dangerous. I’m worried it’s going to lead to proper violent civil unrest that will affect all of us.

In a Shropshire school for the last couple of days there have been anti vaxx protests outside a secondary school, hassling children as they go in. Mainly because the protesters are not happy that children 12-15 can consent to have the vaccine even if their parents don’t want them to.

https://www.facebook.com/20136246008/po ... 76009/?d=n
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

It seems absolutely maniacal. I cannot fathom where this bullshit comes from.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored