"May You Live In Interesting Times": Brexit 2019

Topcat

Re: "May You Live In Interesting Times": Brexit 2019

Post by Topcat »

I presume that she is just outright lying now in order to get her own way.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Ian Dunt has a good summary of where we are.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

There is nobody standing up for my views or the views of the 48% who wanted to remain and I’m sick of it. I’m also fed up with the EU for giving a concession at this point, when if they’d just held their nerve things might have been different. So yeah. Glad no deal will be off the table but heartily sick about this country and it’s stupid, stupid, male dominated politicking.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Same here. It’s intolerable. I swear they just want us to give up completely and roll over. Which has kind of happened, hasn’t it?
smalex

Post by smalex »

Completely. Its been great getting our democracy back :ruby:
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Mother of all parliament my fucking arse, frankly. :))
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Yep. We’ve totally rolled over. MPs will presumably vote tonight to accept a deal that is IDENTICAL to the deal they voted against in the largest defeat ever by the government. And all the numbskulls who had been bleating about just waiting for the EU to cave at the last minute now think they’ve won. And now Geoffrey Cox has gone mad(def) too. FFS.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

THIS IS OUR ATTORNEY GENERAL
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Bat Macdui wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:15 am Ian Dunt has a good summary of where we are.
Thank you. This is great and I will read it again when my brain has responded fully to caffeine.

I'm the same as everyone else, I no longer know what to wish for. My gut instinct wants this ridiculous deal to not pass but my head knows that that will lead us down a dangerous path. I am generally all for the dangerous path, which is why instinct is heading that way, but my head thinks that the stakes are too high here and that this horrible deal is better than playing games with peoples' lives. So I'm thinking one thing and feeling another.

Also it's been so long since I thought there was a cat in hell's chance of her getting this through that I've forgotten what it will mean for our lives compared to No Deal.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Chicky wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:42 am THIS IS OUR ATTORNEY GENERAL
We might as well live in Trump’s America.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

WTF.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

So....AG says it's a tiny bit better but not much, so looking likely that it won't pass?

(my thoughts only, I don't know what anyone who knows better is thinking).
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Peston doesn't seem to think that it will either. I've no real idea how much he actually knows but he's been fairly close to the mark with most things so far which is why I am using him as a barometer.

The thing is, if she gets this through then the Conservative Party will become even more untouchable and that would be a truly fucking dreadful thing.

This entire fucking nightmare needs to stop. I've been fairly relaxed about things up to now, but it seems as though this is where the shit really starts to hit the fan.
Last edited by Topcat on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Leave woman on Preppers group is upset that people think people who voted leave did so out of not understanding the consequences. In next breath, asks what a hard border is. :ruby:
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Mountain Goat wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:24 pm So....AG says it's a tiny bit better but not much, so looking likely that it won't pass?

Yeah, basically. :)) They've taken the text relating to the backstop from the Withdrawal Agreement, added a few more codicils, and that's it. It still doesn't change the fact that the UK can't just opt out of it, though, which is the sticking point for the ERG and the raging Brexiteers that May is trying to appease. No-one is reporting what Labour is whipping for or against yet, so sort of *shrug*. Will be defeated but by a lesser margin would be my guess.
Last edited by Bat Macdui on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

The fact that Cox published his advice and the pound fell again is good indication that things probably won't go swimmingly. :))
smalex

Post by smalex »

Mountain Goat wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:27 pm Leave woman on Preppers group is upset that people think people who voted leave did so out of not understanding the consequences. In next breath, asks what a hard border is. :ruby:
:lol: I've got to laugh at this stage, otherwise I'll go on some sort of murderous rampage.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Peston does seem to have been right a lot. And a few Brexiter MPs have now said they won't vote for it (though who knows how representative they are and what might change over the course of the day), and the pound has dropped. So not looking likely.

Yes. But now will she end up resigning* and then what? The flowchart just ends in horseshit whichever path you pick.

* too stubborn? And winning the vote of no confidence makes it harder (but not impossible) to force her out?
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Slow posting. Life moves too fast this week. :))
smalex

Post by smalex »

I don't believe she'll ever resign. That article that Bats linked to seemed likely. She'll push for an extension, then we'll have an even bigger cliff edge to fall off in a couple of months.