Anger, bile, tears and tea

Derek Nimmo

Re: Anger, bile, tears and tea

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Trump explicitly endorsed the far right terrorist, white supremacist groups and encouraged violence, whatever Biden did/didn't say pales into insignificance!
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Yes, as far as I can tell, Biden dealt with a depraved lunatic as best anyone can, particularly since the moderator seems to have had all the authority of a Sylvanian toy.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I REALLY wish that someone would come up with how you fight this. Because fighting Trump by being old style reasonable and decent doesn't work. Same with Johnson here. Someone needs to work out how the fuck you do it without high siding over into being a slightly different strain of dictator driven populism. :lg:
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

This is an interesting article (but don't read it if you're feeling anxious).

I Lived Through Collapse: America Is Already There.

https://gen.medium.com/i-lived-through- ... 1e4b54c5fc
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

God, that's made me well up (as opposed to anxious :)) ). We're there too, fiddling as democracy burns. It breaks me to see people minimising and defending actions that have such long claws.

But yes, how the fuck do you fight Trump (et al)? It's a cult, isn't it? Logic and sense doesn't dissuade anyone, they just dig in their heels deeper at the sense of an enemy attack on their dear leader. How do you carry out a mass deprogramming when the control of some of the media is in the cult's hands?
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

[NOT VERY CHEERING CONTENT COMING UP]

I mean, the main issue is surely Russia interfering in their elections? There's little point in deprogramming when Putin's pulling the strings.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Mountain Goat wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:53 am God, that's made me well up (as opposed to anxious :)) ). We're there too, fiddling as democracy burns. It breaks me to see people minimising and defending actions that have such long claws.
Agreed. This bit really got me.
If you’re waiting for a moment where you’re like “this is it,” I’m telling you, it never comes. Nobody comes on TV and says “things are officially bad.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Yes. Churchill's not going to come on the radio and tell us we're at war while we all gather around the wireless this time. Not least because that idea presupposes that the leader is on the same side as the country/people.

And yes, Lazz, true.

I don't think anyone would open this thread expecting cheering content, mind. :))
Luce

Post by Luce »

Or they do, quite explicitly but it means nothing.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

It's true, the clue's in the title. :))

I'm hoping that Harris - Pence will be the knockout it should be.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Mountain Goat wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:07 am Not least because that idea presupposes that the leader is on the same side as the country/people.
Indeed.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Luce wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:08 am Or they do, quite explicitly but it means nothing.
Yes. The LA LA LA CAN'T HEAR YOU is one of the most frightening aspects (for me) of this era, in the US and here alike.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

lazzbo wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:05 am all the authority of a Sylvanian toy.
Excellent work :))
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Mountain Goat wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:24 am
Luce wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:08 am Or they do, quite explicitly but it means nothing.
Yes. The LA LA LA CAN'T HEAR YOU is one of the most frightening aspects (for me) of this era, in the US and here alike.
I agree. It's horrifying. I feel like the whole world has taken leave of its senses.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

nineseven wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:04 am
lazzbo wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:05 am all the authority of a Sylvanian toy.
Excellent work :))
It's unfair to Sylvanians, in all likelihood. :))
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I reckon the Brown Bear mum would do a fine job.
FiveO'Clock

Post by FiveO'Clock »

Mountain Goat wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:53 am

But yes, how the fuck do you fight Trump (et al)? It's a cult, isn't it? Logic and sense doesn't dissuade anyone, they just dig in their heels deeper at the sense of an enemy attack on their dear leader. How do you carry out a mass deprogramming when the control of some of the media is in the cult's hands?
Exactly this! I didn't think Trump could surprise me any longer, but he managed to last night. Cunt.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

It was an absolute car crash and I don’t think the debate will have changed any minds unfortunately. A cult is exactly right.

Trump is the classic school yard bully - shouting and stamping his feet to make his point and his base will have loved it. I was so horrified watching it yet there will have been so many people thinking what a great job he did, how strong he is etc.

My timeline is mostly denouncing how awful Trump was but there is a smattering of how they were both as bad as each other! Not even fucking close!

And I’m hopeful Harris will rip Pence a new one.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Is there no hope that enough people who just automatically voted republican in 2016 will change their vote this time? Since even then he didn't win the popular vote...
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

The Lincoln Project certainly seems to support your theory, Paris. :fc: