Oh, that’s so good :lol:
Loralei

Re: Anger, bile, tears and tea

Post by Loralei »

Wow. The authorities stand no chance against such genius subterfuge :mog:
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Oh my god is that really how that chap died? Tasered himself in the balls and had a heart attack? What a way to go!
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Yes as his tasor went off in his pocket. And he was a Safety Coordinator or similar at his job.

According to Twitter, there's another protestor who was trampled who took a sign saying "Don't tread on me" or somesuch. Horribly painfully ironic.

I can't believe this has happened. I really can't.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

overthehill wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:39 pm
Edith Bacon wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:18 pm I worry about what will happen when the Capitol-storming dickheads and their orange leader start crying about being censored and having no voice.
I think this is a real concern. It plays right into their 'right to free speech' narrative and, by extension, loss of constitutional rights, country, etc., making it easier to justify their actions as, in some way, 'patriotic'. Could be disastrous.
I'm not that worried tbh. Mostly because I can see from recent history that if you remove people's platforms they lose their relevance - Katie Hopkins, those Britain First FB twats, for example. I think they also need to do the same on the left, to be fair, with disinformation sites like The Canary.

There are always going to be some nutters - as there were before social media - but at least they're not going to be radicalising your Auntie Linda on Facebook.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I agree with that, Ruby. My dad has been fully radicalised by Tommy Robinson and would have probably remained just slightly right wing and a bit thick without social media giving him a platform.
Dáire

Post by Dáire »

Milo Yiannopoulos. Can't get any work now.

The taser story is still unproven, with no source other than a reporter who heard of it, but retracted her tweet when she found there was no evidence it was not just a rumour.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Dáire wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:21 pm Milo Yiannopoulos. Can't get any work now.
Yes! Exactly.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Arnold Schwarzenegger's broadcast thing on Twitter is really worth watching. If you're interested, obvs.

It's got Conan's sword in it, too. :love2:
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Bat Macdui wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:34 pm Arnold Schwarzenegger's broadcast thing on Twitter is really worth watching. If you're interested, obvs.

It's got Conan's sword in it, too. :love2:
:lol: That's righteously epic!
Malan
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

It’s so good, isn’t it? I had to check which party he was from.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Ella77 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:51 pm It’s so good, isn’t it? I had to check which party he was from.
Me too! (Although I do remember being gutted when he ran for office as a Republican.)
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

It's interesting that he's chosen to dress in black, flag regalia behind him etc - maybe in the hopes of getting those with fascist tendencies to at least listen for a bit before realising in horror that Arnie's not on side? :puzz:

It's gloriously overblown, but I can't deny the sentiment behind it!
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I do not have seven minutes for that, but beginning with Kristallnacht was a strong start. :))
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:29 pm It's interesting that he's chosen to dress in black, flag regalia behind him etc - maybe in the hopes of getting those with fascist tendencies to at least listen for a bit before realising in horror that Arnie's not on side? :puzz:

It's gloriously overblown, but I can't deny the sentiment behind it!
Yes, it’s full-on hyper-masculine fascist symbolism, but that must be the only stuff that gets through.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Yeah, I feel like its important people like him speak out. Its like how I sometimes think Gary Lineker talking about Brexit carries a disproportionate amount of weight.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

I have wondered all along why the slebs haven't been speaking out against Trump. Maybe they have, just not reported here so much.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I think a lot of them have, but I guess a lot are perceived as being left wing anyway so it probably carries little weight with the people who need to hear it.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

I love the Arnie broadcast. Despite running as a Republican I’ll always have an 80s action soft spot for him. And his love of his tiny horses is just ridiculously cute.

I was reading a thing a while ago about how Hollywood right wingers have had to be really careful about publicly speaking out in support of Trump because of the potential backlash and risk of losing work. Apparently there was a group formed back around the 2016 election but it dissolved again a while after, though perhaps went further under the radar.

Here’s a helpful list from O mag, though there’s a few other lists out there with others missing from this list. It’s not exactly a list of the greatest, biggest stars out there though. And while the industry may skew left/more liberal, there’s also the penalty for being too vocal about that with white, middle/conservative US audiences, although I think the last election cycles have changed that a lot.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.oprahm ... lebrities/
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

I always think of Clint Eastwood, when I think of vocal Republican A-listers, but I notice even he doesn't endorse Trump. I'm a bit disappointed by Tim Allen.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))