Harvey Weinstein-the start of something?

Lily
Picker-Lily

Re: Harvey Weinstein-the start of something?

Post by Lily »

smalex wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:53 am Yes, I kind of feel like that too. Stories of the hollywood 'casting couch' are as old as the invention of Hollywood, so c'mon, who's actually surprised? And that's putting aside that this is everyday shit. Its loads of men, its loads of women, in every walk of life.
Someone on the radio has just said exactly the same thing.

I have no idea about that Bernard bloke, but I don't have any words either.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Lovely Me

Post by Lovely Me »

Zoomer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:25 am Meanwhile, in France, Bernard Cantat, who punched his girlfriend to death is on the front cover of a major magazine promoting his new single. :woteva:

It was only a woman he killed, though, so that's ok.
It makes me furious. The public support for Cantat who "paid his debt to society" :ella: and is "such a great artist" turns my stomach. He punched a woman to death, let her die on a sofa when he was drunk and sleeping, and then tried to defend himself during his trial by saying that she was a slut (4 children by 4 different men, but it strangely never was an issue for him before) and hysterical, and basically had it coming. Then his wife (whom he had left for Marie Trintignant) ended up committing suicide when he was in the same house as her. And people still defend him.
Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee!
smalex

Post by smalex »

I've never heard of this guy, but JESUS.
Mrs Danvers

Post by Mrs Danvers »

It's like that cunt Oscar Pretorius all over again. Johnny Depp still working and getting endorsements for Dior, the Stanford Swimmer, Ched Evans. You could go on and on and on and on and on and on really couldn't you. Mr D said to me the other day he doesn't understand why women aren't permanently raging.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

By about our mid-30s, many of us are.
Mrs Danvers

Post by Mrs Danvers »

That's what I said. I have always been raging, mind.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Its so ingrained lots of women don't even notice. I have to disengage with threads like this and subjects like this sometimes because I find it exhausting to resent and suspect 50% of the population. I'm probably letting down the sistahood and all, but I can't hack permanently feeling like that.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Spot on Smal!

I think the shock that Hollywood types are ascribing to "finding out" he did this is really shock that it's actually coming out for a change.

Anyway, what everyone else said other than that. The film industry over there is just like Brobdingnag in Gulliver. It's society write larger and uglier but really still just society. Everything (the power imbalance, the male entitlement, the objectification of women) SEEMS greater but all it's doing is holding a magnifying glass up to what goes on every fucking day all over the world.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Lovely Me wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:10 am
Zoomer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:25 am Meanwhile, in France, Bernard Cantat, who punched his girlfriend to death is on the front cover of a major magazine promoting his new single. :woteva:

It was only a woman he killed, though, so that's ok.
It makes me furious. The public support for Cantat who "paid his debt to society" :ella: and is "such a great artist" turns my stomach. He punched a woman to death, let her die on a sofa when he was drunk and sleeping, and then tried to defend himself during his trial by saying that she was a slut (4 children by 4 different men, but it strangely never was an issue for him before) and hysterical, and basically had it coming. Then his wife (whom he had left for Marie Trintignant) ended up committing suicide when he was in the same house as her. And people still defend him.
Yep, I am with you on this one.

I am also semi-permanently raging.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Ella77 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:16 am By about our mid-30s, many of us are.
Absolutely.

I feel the same way as Bats on this. Similarly to how I feel with everything these days. It is nothing new, it is old and boring and women have been saying it for fucking centuries and I feel like we're suddenly being told to be outraged because the sun is too hot. Yes. We know. We've never been cool with it.

Apart from all the usual horrors of Trump, the reason I was crying so much the day he became President Elect is because of this. You can assault women and you won't go to prison and you won't be socially ostracised but in fact you can become President. I can't. How are the future generations ever supposed to know their arse from their elbow?
smalex

Post by smalex »

Let's be fair, there were clear questions over Bill Clinton's conduct before he was elected (at least for the second time) so can we even claim to be that shocked that it didn't stop Trump being elected. It just doesn't seem to matter. Ever.
Luce

Post by Luce »

No, I was devastated and the surprise still hurt. I wasn't quite old enough to be aware of the Bill Clinton thing at the time. Trump was allegedly (etc) accused of raping a child with an upcoming court case, for fuck's sake.
Last edited by Luce on Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Bill Clinton?!

Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I've just read on the BBC that Twitter have blocked Rose McGowern's twitter access. I'm so horrified I can't think straight. This is the response? More silencing of women?
Luce

Post by Luce »

No, Trump. Sorry, I edited. He had an upcoming court case about a 13 year old girl. I think it got shut down pretty quickly (and probably easily) after he was elected.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I did mean 'we' in a more general sense than YOU. The concept that a man can be revealed as having a very questionable history with regards to women and it doesn't prevent them from high office; pretty well established, really. Its incredibly depressing.
Last edited by smalex on Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I was not a fan of Rose McGowern after she praised the IRA, but fair play to her for being so vocal on this. They have blocked her because they might get sued by whoever she's slagging off, I suppose.

Smal's link says it all. I'm disappointed in Weinstein (how come one is "I" and the other is "E" incidentally?) but not remotely surprised.

Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Santa Claude wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:58 pm No, Trump. Sorry, I edited. He had an upcoming court case about a 13 year old girl. I think it got shut down pretty quickly (and probably easily) after he was elected.
Bloody HELL.

I am contributing nothing of worth to this thread beyond expletives. Nothing new there...

indigo

Post by indigo »

I think something broke in me after the story about the rapist Brock Turner and I really remember feeling like this is never going to go away and it's never going to be different. I'm utterly not-surprised about HW and not even surprised that it was one of those open secrets that everyone knows but no-one does anything about. It's fucked but it will keep happening and keep happening and keep happening.