"May You Live In Interesting Times": Brexit 2019

Ella77

Re: "May You Live In Interesting Times": Brexit 2019

Post by Ella77 »

My husband has a thick, lazy colleague who is originally from Spain but has just this week got British citizenship. Apparently he has just confidently announced to the room that a no deal Brexit means that we simply stay in Europe. How can anybody STILL think this?
smalex

Post by smalex »

HOW DO THESE PEOPLE STAY STANDING UPRIGHT? FUXACHE :mog:
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

I know I shouldn’t read the fail, or the comments on it, but I saw this simple solution a couple of weeks ago. Boosh! Let’s crack on growing our own pineapples :perky:
smalex

Post by smalex »

We can catch tuna in the rivers and grow bananas in the orchards if we just try hard enough. My unicorn farm is opening next month, it's only been the EU holding me back all this time :perky:
smalex

Post by smalex »

I want these people to have such an almighty shock, but I doubt they will. They'll just imagine some other mindless 'solution' to their enormous fucking ignorance.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Fishermen can catch “whatever they like” :uhh:. Pets, orphans, scuba divers?
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

We might need to resort to eating anything, so yes :lol: :scuba-diver-on-toast:
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

smalex wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 4:23 pm I want these people to have such an almighty shock, but I doubt they will. They'll just imagine some other mindless 'solution' to their enormous fucking ignorance.
I want them to hurt so much. It's horrible.

My parents are smug, airy fairy brexiters who were absolutely OUTRAGED to have read someone suggest that people who voted Leave should be at the back of all the queues for food and medicine. Entitled baby-boomers who have wanted for nothing their whole lives and can't begin to comprehend not getting everything they want now.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I told my dad the other night that we'd need to pay for visas if we were going to Spain this year, to which he replied that the Spanish have already said they want all the ex-pats to stay and visitors still to come so they will sort something out to make it easy for us. :ella:
rosy

Post by rosy »

I've heard the same from people, Shoe. "Oh, they won't charge us £52, they want our tourist money." :ella:
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

I think they want Gibraltar more, though.....
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Edith, that’s so enraging, fuck.
Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Shoe wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:26 pm I told my dad the other night that we'd need to pay for visas if we were going to Spain this year, to which he replied that the Spanish have already said they want all the ex-pats to stay and visitors still to come so they will sort something out to make it easy for us. :ella:
Urgh I’m so sorry Shoe. Did you point out to him that (1) that the Spanish can’t do anything as that price is set by an EU agreement and (2) after the pound tanks against the euro people who want to go to Euroland will find they can’t afford to and won’t have spending money and (3) it won’t just be 52 pounds as he’ll now have to pay for health insurance and find his data roaming costs have been jacked up to silly levels?

Can everyone on here that knows a Brexiter personally thank them on my behalf for taking away my freedom of movement (as well as their own) that I’ve enjoyed for nearly 2 years and dropping me in a new fresh level of German bureaucracy hell (until my Irish passport comes through) Mind you, if the alternatives are only blue passports and living off turnips then Ausländerbehörde- ich komme!
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

It’s shit. My mum does the defensive smirk too. I’m not sure people over 60 should have been allowed to vote.

Yes, and they’ll all say we don’t need Europe any way. We can holiday here. The country with unreliable weather that’s going to be even more expensive. They easily forget that all of their “good old days” stories of holidays in Skegness were interspersed with rationing, vitamin deficiency, leaving school at 15 and the 3 day week tales.

I swear, if I see one more D-Day landing meme saying their £52 is already paid I might just explode.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

What totally baffles me is I know my parents both voted remain and my dad is generally very sensible but he seems to have a total mental block about all this. :verm:
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I remember just days after the referendum I was at a work thing and one of the guys was saying exactly the same thing, 'there won't be travel problems, they need us blah'. And me and this other woman had to point out that borders are more emotional than economic, and couldn't he see this from the result? He just didn't get it. :lg:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

What does everything think is likely to happen this week? I can't help assuming we'll continue to go round in circles and have no more clarity by the end of the week than we do now. May's deal seems unlikely to go through, No deal also seems unlikely, they may vote for a delay but then the EU is unlikely to agree (I think?), so I guess we end up hovering between a default no deal or revoking article 50, and I can't see there being any consensus on that either.

Or I could have it all wrong, or everything could change. :ruby: How am I supposed to know how to time my final cat food order? :panic:
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Sooner or later she will get her own way in parliament, I'm reasonably sure of that.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I can't even begin to imagine anymore. It'll be fucking shambolic, whatever it is.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

What makes you sure, Alan? I can't see it at the moment but I also think my brain reached overload on this about two weeks ago and no longer operates correctly. I can certainly see that she's stubborn enough that she'll try to keep forging through but I don't see that actually working.

I don't even know what I want to happen anymore. Is it better that her deal gets through and we don't have to face the strong possibility of no deal, or is it better if it fails and we have the distant hope of revoking? :panic:
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents