"May You Live In Interesting Times": Brexit 2019

absley

Re: "May You Live In Interesting Times": Brexit 2019

Post by absley »

I don't know either.

What happened to the idea that Labour back her plan on the proviso it was put to a public vote? That seemed to be gaining traction at one point but has now vanished and I didn't notice why.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I think that amendment is on the backburner until her deal does or doesn't get through, but there are so many amendments that I'm losing track.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I am now worried that her deal won't go through, she'll have to go and we'll end up with Boris :ruby:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Christ. That too. :cry:
absley

Post by absley »

Thanks Goat. I'm worried about that too, emma.
smalex

Post by smalex »

emma_p wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:22 pm I am now worried that her deal won't go through, she'll have to go and we'll end up with Boris :ruby:
It probably doesn't matter, every outcome of the flow chart ends with: FUCK, WE'RE FUCKING FUCKED.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I have given up wondering now, I'm just going to wait and see what fresh hell awaits us when somebody, anybody, makes some sort of decision. :ella:
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Mountain Goat wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:21 pm I think that amendment is on the backburner until her deal does or doesn't get through, but there are so many amendments that I'm losing track.
I read an article this morning that was all MV1, NB2 (meaningful vote, one, non binding amendment2). Then my brain exploded.

Plus, she still might pull the vote, plus she still might pull the No-Deal vote or the extension vote even if she doesn't pull the main deal vote. Plus, if it goes through it's still not endgame, there's still Prime Minster change, government change as possibilities. Or those after meaningful vote 2 :ruby: and others.

I have actually, genuinely taken up knitting. It keeps me off Twitter *and* has the extra plus that I'll be totally well prepared for when we start guillotining the fuckers.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

emma_p wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:22 pm I am now worried that her deal won't go through, she'll have to go and we'll end up with Boris :ruby:
Apparently Hunt is the front runner to take over.

I have no idea what will happen and possibly even less idea what I want to happen (well revoking A50 goes without saying but within the realms of possibility). While my head thinks I should hope her deal goes through as no deal will be an utter catastrophe my heart is hanging on to the slightest minuscule chance of the whole thing being called off.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

If we end up with a dramatic change like a new PM, government or in going for a second referendum, surely we still can't get anything done that would prevent a no deal in time for the 29th? Or would the EU be likely to grant us more time if there was a big change like that?

I see she's likely off to Strasbourg this afternoon for dinner with Juncker. God knows.

I have never had such a clean and tidy house. :))
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I have nothing to back up my thoughts, it is just that really.

But they are all such a cowardly bunch of arseholes that I would imagine that they will eventually cave in and back what in my view is the most incompetent Prime Minister of my life time.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Although I just read that Peston has said she's going to get utterly trounced again tomorrow - by somewhere over a hundred votes.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I just read something about them voting on a notional deal rather than the actual deal.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

To quote him "Arguably we are witnessing the greatest diplomatic humiliation for a British government in more than half a century, and our political system seems powerless to prevent it."
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Mountain Goat wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:12 pmIf we end up with a dramatic change like a new PM, government or in going for a second referendum, surely we still can't get anything done that would prevent a no deal in time for the 29th? Or would the EU be likely to grant us more time if there was a big change like that?
This has been my hope pretty much all along. Assuming that the EU would rather we stayed, they could agree to start negotiations again if we had a new government, but only if the new lot offered something sensible in return.

I am even more bewildered by all the possibilities than usual, so this outcome is at least something I can understand, and cautiously hope for.

I can bung some knitting patterns your way if you like, Bats? Warm jumpers will be handy when we can't afford to put the heating on.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Texaco Shirley wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:19 pmI just read something about them voting on a notional deal rather than the actual deal.
What does that mean? (if anything).
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I just read something about how if it were a secret ballot, May's Deal would pass, but as it is it's all about ego and political alignments and even those that do support it (at least as a better option than whichever of no deal or not leaving bothers them the most) won't vote for it publicly.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Morganna wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:22 pm
Texaco Shirley wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:19 pmI just read something about them voting on a notional deal rather than the actual deal.
What does that mean? (if anything).
Voting on the deal + some possible amendments? I’m not sure but I can’t see how they can have a vote on anything except the deal which is actually available and still call it meaningful.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Morganna wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:20 pmI can bung some knitting patterns your way if you like, Bats? Warm jumpers will be handy when we can't afford to put the heating on.
Thanks, but I am still at blanket for the cat stage. :))

I keep thinking about my Mum banging on about being in O Level biology and waiting for the nukes when it was Bay of Pigs. I can tell my niece's kids, ooooh, all those months when we just didn't know. Possibly might need to learn Russian...
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Christ, today is even more shambolic than I expected, and May reading from Corinthians while Rome burns.