"May You Live In Interesting Times": Brexit 2019

Ella77

Re: "May You Live In Interesting Times": Brexit 2019

Post by Ella77 »

If it had gone the other way, we wouldn’t be having our citizenship revoked against our will.
rosy

Post by rosy »

My philosophy tutor suggested tonight that this shitshow might eventually lead to a huge change in British politics - more proportional representation, more consensus, more decisions based on actual facts instead of 52% of the country holding the other 48% to ransom. I admire her optimism.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Nah, we’ll all just get more entrenched for a couple of decades, after which the water wars will consume most of our attention :ruby:.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

It would certainly feel like we are on the cusp of burning all our systems down and starting again, if only we had any leadership capable of carrying that out. :ruby:
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
rosy

Post by rosy »

I think you've found the flaw in my tutor's reasoning, Goat. We don't have anyone capable of doing anything other than running around in circles complaining that the sky is falling.

Maybe we should subscribe to Aristotle's view that anyone who wants political power is unsuited to hold it.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I've just read something that broke my head on how complicated it is to change Exit Day, just within our own Parliament. I am beginning to think the easiest solution here might be to find a hole in the space time continuum and go back to being a small child. I think I could crack that quicker than the govt can crack Brexit anyway.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

How much of a laughing stock to you have to be to have Trump Jnr having a pop at you? I’m with Goat on the space-time continuum.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Topcat wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:09 pm I'm no expert but he didn't do anything wrong legally, did he? If the vote had gone the other way this wouldn't be a conversation.

I'm not backing him, I'm but not sure what he could be done for.
I suppose he was in charge of the country and he did something spectacularly, dangerously stupid, without considering it might backfire. That's negligence in extremis.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

He was warned that it could backfire.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

MAYBE THIS IS ALL A FILM AND WE JUST HAVE TO WORK OUT WHERE WE WERE STANDING AND WHAT WE SAID WHEN EVERYTHING WENT WRONG AND DO THAT AGAIN.

I've malfunctioned.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I think Cameron was selfish and stupid but didn’t do anything actually illegal. The idea of making it binding should have been challenged at the time but that ship has sailed.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Are you expecting I Got You Babe on the radio, and Bill Murray and Andie MacDowell trying to get things right? :))

I don't think it's you malfunctioning, it's our politicians.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Or for magic fairy dust to fall from the doll's house the boy next door made for me, or to go to a Chinese restaurant with my mum, or to visit a fortune telling machine at the end of the pier...:)) God I would love a day lying on the sofa watching bodyswap films.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Even more so now I read that Barclay has written to the cabinet instructing Operation Yellowhammer (worst case planning for no deal) to be implemented on Monday.

Hoping this is yet another stupid bluff aimed at frightening everyone into capitulation but fearing it isn't.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I think it's treason if you plot to do something to the Royal Family. Also, arson in Her Majesty's Dockyards. Like we've got fuck all of them left.

I think focusing on the process means I don't end up *as angry* but I read some tweets from Hillary Benn this morning about fucking indicative votes and I felt like decking the lot of them. Indicative fucking votes my arse, I feel like screaming at them; JUST FUCKING STOP THIS YOU BUNCH OF ARSEHOLES.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Also, yellowhammers are lovely, they should've called it Operation We Fucked It, Dude.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

PLUS. I am genuinely sick of all the media going interviewing Leavers in austerity towns. I reckon it wouldn't take them too much effort to dig up the odd sobbing remainer.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Bat Macdui wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:05 am PLUS. I am genuinely sick of all the media going interviewing Leavers in austerity towns. I reckon it wouldn't take them too much effort to dig up the odd sobbing remainer.
It's not just me then? Every time they send a roving reporter out its like they've targeted the most likely hard line Leavers they can find. IT WAS 50/50 FOR FUCKS SAKE.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Agreed. Nobody gives a shit about Remainers.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

How are we ever going to forgive them?

This level of anger won't be healthy (for us as individuals) in the long term but I have no clue where to even start getting past it.