"May You Live In Interesting Times": Brexit 2019

Clarice

Re: "May You Live In Interesting Times": Brexit 2019

Post by Clarice »

I feel so much impotence watching it from (not that) afar, that I would have probably imploded by now if I was in the thick of it like you all are.
What I don’t understand is if the politicians can have multiple votes as they are changing their minds now the reality of what brexit means has become clear, why can’t the people have another vote?

Surely those with a modicum if intelligence have actually informed themselves a bit mire now? Or am I hoping for too much?

We’ve had the no-deal plan in place since earlier this year, drugs are stockpiled and contingencies are in place as much as they can be.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Edith Bacon wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:29 am How are we ever going to forgive them?

This level of anger won't be healthy (for us as individuals) in the long term but I have no clue where to even start getting past it.
Same. I know life would be so much easier if we didn’t care about it. My father might as well be a member of the ERG, the way he’s talking these days (apparently), and I can’t bring myself to deal with him at all. My FIL is at the other end of the political spectrum, and I don’t want to spend any time with him either.

I know this isn’t all about me, sorry :blah:. Just thinking aloud.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I’m going to go full on Richard Herring shortly and trawl twitter for anyone using the phrase “will of the people” and post this all over the place.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

1000 of a difference :cry:

I am just clinging onto the hope that Scotland will able to vote for independence again and hope it goes the right way. I'm sorry because it feels like abandoning the rest of you but it's our only hope.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Honestly Sally, who wouldn't think that? Save yourselves. We'll be buggered but I'd rather not take you down too. Especially if you'll let us move there. :))

I haven't looked at the news yet today, I need to ease myself in gently. I do think the Operation Yellowhammer thing is pathetic game playing rather than a signal of intent but it doesn't help. I don't know what's in it exactly Clarice (I'm not sure it's been revealed at all?) but I'd assume that there would be an awful lot of last minute regulatory procedures aside from the stuff they've already done. I think it is real, but announcing it is yet another attempt at blackmail.

And I feel the same. I argue every fucking point in my head with Mr G's dad and get as angry as I would do if I saw him. I haven't spoken to him on this subject since the referendum, but when he tried to bring it up at Christmas and Mr G told him to drop it, he giggled, as though I was the silly one for being potentially touchy about it. It must be nice to be in a position where you feel sure you'll be fine even if the rest of the country isn't. I completely understand people avoiding thinking about it too much, everyone has different ways of coping and we must do what works for us, but to accept it might be terrible for other people but just be smug because you're alright, Jack, is infuriating. Also he thinks that he automatically knows better because he's lived longer and has more experience. I won't start on that. :))
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
smalex

Post by smalex »

I dread some social events now when people I suspect might be Leave voters are there, that's how bad it is. Then I sit there thinking PLEASE don't bring it up in conversation because I can't face listening to it.

I suspect a lot of Leave voters are appalled by the situation we're in, but I'm agog at the ones who don't seem to be. We are supposed to leave in NINE days and we've still absolutely no idea what is happening, or on what terms. That anyone, however much they believe in Brexit, can think that is anything other than an utter scandal is amazing.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Oh my god, now I've seen the news. :ruby: So she's only asking for a short extension, which means a second referendum is impossible, so it's her deal or no deal, but hasn't sent the letter yet, so there's still some chance, and Bercow is hinting madly that Labour can take advantage of process and force an emergency debate?

My lower back has tightened right up.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I can’t see the EU granting a long extension anyway unless it’s specifically for ref 2 or a GE. Maybe they will reject the short extension and counter offer with that?
smalex

Post by smalex »

From what they've said, they won't grant a short extension anyway on those terms. 'You need a clear plan' does not equal 'I want to attempt to ram through the same deal that keeps being rejected even though at the moment I'm not even allowed by my parliament to try'
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Yes, I agree with all of this. With no clear plan presented we won't get anything anyway. I was hoping for the tiny chance that we could go down the Kyle Wilson route as that just seems to be the only thing that has a chance of getting a majority but this, if sent, rules that out (not that May would ever put that option to the EU anyway so...). But also means that Labour have never really had a voice in this.

I think I read somewhere that the EU can't put the condition of a second ref on an extension, only we can do this? I have no idea where though and whether that has any credibility.

It does look like they're getting the magnifying glasses out on process now to see what can be done. I can't catch up and keep up though and work though... :panic:
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Presumably the EU are allowed to strongly suggest what would get them to agree. We know there needs to be an actual plan so they could give examples rather than specifying what they would accept. Splitting hairs I know...
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

I’m reading this thread and nodding, nodding, nodding along - of course it’s about you, Ella - you and me and all of us. Shutting up and accepting we lost hasn’t done any of us any good so we have to do something with it and if banging on about it here is all we can do then we damn we’ll need to do it.

And Sal - can’t blame you for that AT ALL!

Goat - your FIL might be my dad. I see him once a month and the closer we get to the end of March the more my anxiety about just being near him grows. And Smal - I get genuinely panicky if I think Brexit might be discussed and I suspect Leavers are party to the discussion. I have an ongoing plan to just leave an event if that happens because I cannot bear to just sit and listen and imply agreement with my silence, nor can I trust myself to keep my rage about in check.

So yeah, will of the people can fuck off.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

So fucking Christ. Plans to table emergency debate on the extension letter by Labour have been thwarted by Corbyn who won't support it. You can't make this shit up. :cry:
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Won’t support a debate? Good grief.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

:ruby:
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Yep. Labour won't back it.
Understand that any move to secure/call for a long Article 50 extension, whether through SO24 debate or other means, will not be supported by Labour.
(Jack Maidment, retweet from Ian Dunt, who adds "Screams forever".
Last edited by Mountain Goat on Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Corbyn is going to meet Barnier though.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Oh yes, forgot that. Presumably to get him onside for a no deal while pretending to have nothing to do with anything.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Also Juncker says there is unlikely to be a decision on the delay this week which presumably means MV3 won’t go ahead anyway.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

What is Corbyn hoping to achieve by meeting Barnier?