"May You Live In Interesting Times": Brexit 2019

Bat Macdui

"May You Live In Interesting Times": Brexit 2019

Post by Bat Macdui »

Some minor Tory fisheries minister has resigned because he can't stand to delay Article 50. :lg:

This is not actually very interesting. Perhaps something more exciting will be along in a moment. Like pallets. Or Michael Gove being run over by a tractor.
Princess Morripov

Re: "May You Live In Interesting Times": Brexit 2019

Post by Princess Morripov »

We burnt loads of pallets in the summer. The modern day equivalent of setting a £20 note on fire. :regret:
rosy

Post by rosy »

I’m still reeling from TM channelling an imaginary meerkat. What next, Corbyn dressing up Fred from the Homepride ads? Bercow calling order by shouting “whasssssup”?
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I could run a sweep stake where everyone chooses a potential yet hysterical event and when the first one happens there's a prize. Possibly Grimsby's fishing rights, or seven free pallets.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Princess Morripov wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:20 pm We burnt loads of pallets in the summer. The modern day equivalent of setting a £20 note on fire. :regret:
This is a metaphor for Brexit.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

That’s the perfect thread title.

Has anything else been said about whether the EU27 will allow a short term extension to A50? I’m sure I read something about Macron vetoing it.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Somebody called 10 Downing Street "Castle Mayskull" which amused me for a bit.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Before I remembered that the leader of our country quoted a pretend fucking meerkat. In Parliament.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I got some petrol earlier on and wondered whether that was going to be an issue if we go with no deal. Presumably it’s imported?
rosy

Post by rosy »

We are almost self-sufficient for crude oil (so petrol & diesel), but we import just over half of our natural gas - mostly from Norway with some from Africa.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Little My

Post by Little My »

My inlaws are visiting from the UK soon. I'm worried they won't leave.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

That’s probably how the EU feels about us by now.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

rosy wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:27 pm We are almost self-sufficient for crude oil (so petrol & diesel), but we import just over half of our natural gas - mostly from Norway with some from Africa.
No, we aren’t. We import over 30% of our crude and that may rise, OPEC set the prices and if the price of barrels drop along with the £ you are going to get companies not drilling here, prices will rise. That’s pretty much how the oil downturn started. We have the oil, we just can’t afford to get at it.

The gas is less of a problem for import as nearly all it is piped so no queue in a truck.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Oh! Thank you Hamm, I was wrong. Was there a time that we were self-sufficient?

In other news, this has cheered me up no end this morning: https://youtu.be/Atku5LWhjog
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

I don't know. It's a weird set up, we import almost as much as we export so that must be based on production and storage. We do have huge oil storage though, Ireland stores their's here (and are moving it post brexit so another blow). So I'd bet a lot of it is down to barrel price and it's cheaper to buy in than to produce, particularly when you take into account H&S and pay, the North Sea is an expensive place to drill, Africa is not.
rosy

Post by rosy »

That's interesting, and I guess things might change post Brexit. I'm sure I was taught/was told that we had sufficient production to meet our own needs and I never really questioned that or looked further into it.

Eurotunnel have settled with the government for a mere £33m over the Seaborne Freight debacle. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47414699
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

We do have enough. But OPEC set the cost for everyone at xUSD per barrel so the companies can't actually afford to drill, so that's when you get the layoffs. Plus is the £is weak?

In addition to that OPEC in times of low oil price set how much can be produced to avoid huge stores and flooding the market with cheap oil which then lowers the price even more and the West can't compete.

So it's not we don't own it. We can't get to it.
Blue Eyed Laydee

Post by Blue Eyed Laydee »

Fucking hell. It really is all a game to them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Christ almighty. In the middle of all this.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Yes, it's hilarious for all of those who have no worries about the effects of Brexit. Fucking arseholes.