"May You Live In Interesting Times": Brexit 2019

Edith Bacon

Re: "May You Live In Interesting Times": Brexit 2019

Post by Edith Bacon »

According to a BBC article, there are four RN boats on standby, ready to protect UK fishing waters. The bloody military :cry: I can’t help but fear this is all going to escalate horribly.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Its hideous. I find that so fucking disturbing. So much for Europe staying 'friends'. Is there any actual need for this other than to ramp up public animosity towards the EU
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Oh dear. There was already a lot of animosity between the two sides - from what I've seen here, both the French and English fishing companies complained of the other constantly being in their waters.
mojojojo

Post by mojojojo »

smalex wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:26 am Is there any actual need for this other than to ramp up public animosity towards the EU
I really can’t see any other need for it :(
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Its feeding into the narrative that somehow the UK are the victims here, plucky little Britain is just defending itself. And all the arseholes with a WW2 fetish (born after it obviously) can get excited about sticking it up the foreigns.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
smalex

Post by smalex »

Its sickening. 50yrs of friendship, solidarity, FUCKING PEACE down the toilet. People forget so quickly how often europe liked to kill each other before we all figured out we might be better off as friends
Roma

Post by Roma »

smalex wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:58 am Its sickening. 50yrs of friendship, solidarity, FUCKING PEACE down the toilet. People forget so quickly how often europe liked to kill each other before we all figured out we might be better off as friends
This is exactly how I feel. I was so shocked this morning reading about the Navy boats. What does the government hope to gain by this behaviour. Trying to amend laws to be able to break international rules, putting the Navy on standby.

I can sort of see how this would appeal to some Brexiteers and otherwise deluded racists that want make Britain great again and show the Foreigners who’s boss :ella:

However, I don’t understand at all what this will achieve in terms of our reputation internationally? It is so damaging and wrong, I really just do not get it.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

The most utterly ridiculous thing about the gunboats protecting the fish is, as several people have pointed out, they're always there anyway. The navy always has boats out there. Or ships out, whatever. For general security and patrolling and presumably because navies need to be staffed by people used to hanging about in gunboats, not people who sit at home in Slough waiting to be summoned if we have a bit of a sea war going on.

Godawful jingoistic briefing by a ridiculous government reported breathlessly by the Mail. FFS.
Montana

Post by Montana »

smalex wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:58 am Its sickening. 50yrs of friendship, solidarity, FUCKING PEACE down the toilet. People forget so quickly how often europe liked to kill each other before we all figured out we might be better off as friends
This has always been my overarching reason for being a Remainer. Even over the ecomomy, potential shortages, even over my *sob* EU citzenship. I don't think you can take for granted how important a mutually beneficial (even if not always amicable) trading relationship is to peaceful relations. And my fear is that this may be the prelude to a wider break of of the EU*, leading to conflict between the remaining 27. Absolutely horrific, even if the UK manage to remain detached from it.

*Why I am in favour of the EU being tough on exit negotiations to discourage others from leaving.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Apologies, apparently the actual gunboat story is we're having four more on top of the four already there. :lg:

If you want an almost comprehensible article about customs/trade, Ian Dunt's written one. https://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2020/1 ... -of-brexit
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

I posted parcels to GB today and the lady in the Post Office said, oh, you're OK, you don't need a customs forms YET. I nearly cried.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

It's all just so hideous and embarrassing. I almost hope we are banned from travel to Europe as I'm too ashamed to show my face there.
Roma

Post by Roma »

Hideous is the right word for it. I still can’t believe it’s actually come down to this.
Last edited by Roma on Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

kiwi wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:51 pm It's all just so hideous and embarrassing. I almost hope we are banned from travel to Europe as I'm too ashamed to show my face there.
Same.
Roma

Post by Roma »

I love Ed Miliband on Andrew Marr! I’ve never seen Ed so angry!
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

I just went online to get a grocery order and was put in a waiting list to access the site - it looks like Panic Buying Part II is about to kick off. :ella:
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

The EU have just announced they have made progress and have agreed with the PM to continue talks.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I just want them all to lose it and start kicking him in the face.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Ok, that's what I want to do. I was projecting.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Livilla wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:19 am I just went online to get a grocery order and was put in a waiting list to access the site - it looks like Panic Buying Part II is about to kick off. :ella:
I noticed yesterday that our local Waitrose had moved massive packs of washing powder to fill the gaps in the loo roll aisle. I think as soon as people see they are low on supplies, they snap up what's left and that makes it worse.