"May You Live In Interesting Times": Brexit 2019

sally maclennane

Re: "May You Live In Interesting Times": Brexit 2019

Post by sally maclennane »

We don't have much of a stockpile as we had no kitchen until recently. I am more concerned about meds because I cant stockpile them :ruby:

The whole thing is so utterly depressing. I still believe that Johnson's backers want a No Deal because there's something in it for them, we are governed by sociopaths.
Last edited by sally maclennane on Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Agreed, Del.

Did anybody else watch the Guardian Live thing with Marina Hyde and John Crace last night? It was very good, but the only positive aspect of all this was Marina visibly enjoying the prospect of Johnson being the Tory party scapegoat for a few months before being replaced by a younger model in about May. She was visibly cheered at the thought of it.
sally maclennane

That'll be Rishi Sunak then?

Johnson doesn't really care, he'll much prefer being ex PM, all the glory and none of the work.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

But why would he prefer being ex PM who brought Britain to its knees? Where's the glory in that?
smalex

Post by smalex »

Yeah, the greatest punishment on him would be to make him be PM forever. Obviously we'd be cutting off our noses to spite our faces with that mind
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

sally maclennane wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:00 am That'll be Rishi Sunak then?
He's about the same height as Barbara Windsor, he'll never be PM. :))
sally maclennane

lazzbo wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:02 am
sally maclennane wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:00 am That'll be Rishi Sunak then?
He's about the same height as Barbara Windsor, he'll never be PM. :))
I also think the gammons won't tolerate anything other than a white PM.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Ella77 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:58 am Agreed, Del.

Did anybody else watch the Guardian Live thing with Marina Hyde and John Crace last night? It was very good, but the only positive aspect of all this was Marina visibly enjoying the prospect of Johnson being the Tory party scapegoat for a few months before being replaced by a younger model in about May. She was visibly cheered at the thought of it.
That is indeed the only silver lining. I don't think he'll enjoy being remembered as the PM who presided over the worst Covid death rates in Europe, nor the "Leader" who led us to crashing out and [x] years of Depression as a result though Sal. He's our Trump.

ETA Or what they said - despair must make me type slowly!
Last edited by Derek Nimmo on Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
sally maclennane

lazzbo wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:02 am But why would he prefer being ex PM who brought Britain to its knees? Where's the glory in that?
He'll just pretend that never happened, its what people like him do " ah yes, Covid, terrible thing, foreigners brought it in y'know, wiff waff, dead cats, something in Latin. ANYWAY, about my new book on Churchill..."
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I think he'll view his reign as a resounding success. Delivered Brexit and found a vaccine.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

Ah, I dunno, I just don't think he'll be able to disentangle himself from Brexit, ever. He campaigned for it, he ousted TM for it, he said he had a deal in 2019, he said no deal would be a failure of statecraft. He is (synonymous with) Brexit. And the results will be clear from 1 January 2021.
smalex

Post by smalex »

He'll always be a hero to many, and that'll be what he choses to listen to.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

What he wants is a hagiography and he'll never get that because his successor will have to publicly disavow everything Johnson has done for the last three years.

But, genuinely, what do I know?! I'm probably just being ridiculously optimistic, there's a consistent pattern here and it's always me who ends up weeping on election night. :))
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

I think the whole careful construction will start crumbling once the Murdoch and Tory knives are out for him and his own party start their hatchet job, and the process will be complete when the effects of Brexit are felt over the next few years.

I reckon it will be difficult to find anyone willing to spit on him if he were on fire in five years time. Too late by then, but hey ho.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

smalex wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:08 am He'll always be a hero to many, and that'll be what he choses to listen to.
Honestly, in 2021, if there's no deal, I can't see him being a hero to anyone but the likes of Rees-Mogg, who can absolutely take any sort of economic meltdown without being affected.
sally maclennane

smalex wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:08 am He'll always be a hero to many, and that'll be what he choses to listen to.
Yes, plus his entire life is one of privilege and not taking responsibility. The man doesn't acknowledge his own children, why would he accept responsibility for anything else? The easy ride he gets from the press infuriates me, if a Labour PM (or a black footballer!) had done half the things he had,they'd have been burned at the stake.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Or a woman. My god. Can you imagine.
sally maclennane

smalex wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:16 am Or a woman. My god. Can you imagine.
I can, sadly. Children by 3 different men? They'd have had a field day.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Turtle Bean wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:07 am I think he'll view his reign as a resounding success. Delivered Brexit and found a vaccine.
Yes, sadly. An ego like that is unpuncturable. That isn't a word.

In reality my stockpile is more than sufficient, but it's my comfort blanket, and the one thing about this I have control over. And really it's the inability to stockpile meds that is most likely to be an issue.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:13 am I think the whole careful construction will start crumbling once the Murdoch and Tory knives are out for him and his own party start their hatchet job, and the process will be complete when the effects of Brexit are felt over the next few years.

I reckon it will be difficult to find anyone willing to spit on him if he were on fire in five years time. Too late by then, but hey ho.
Yes; they were saying that he will probably have to go abroad to get the kind of job he's used to having here. The chances of going back to a £300,000/year job writing a weekly column are pretty slim. Here's hoping, anyway.