Brexit Party
No votes
Some other fucker
6%

Total votes: 89

Loralei

Re: Ho ho ho! Merry Election 2019?

Post by Loralei »

Lily wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:32 pm Because I was the only one who was asking the question. :)) Or maybe I was the only one being polite!
Several people asked questions and were polite, but I didn't see Luce's remark as being insulting.

Thanks to you and No1 Son, Tsu. I absolutely get the argument that the EU is flawed but am a believer of change from within (and we did have a disproportionate amount of influence given our size and relative importance) and the fact that it's imperfect makes me even more fearful of being on the outside of it.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I didn't say it was insulting. I didn't think it was accurate.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

smalex wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:07 pm It does also make me reflect on how I probably overly romanticise my view of the EU. For most of my life I actually didn't much care about being in the EU. Not that I thought it was bad, I just didn't think about it at all. It certainly wasn't the panacea for all ills, which I've a tendency to see it as now it's being taken away.
Agreed.

He knows a lot more about it and has researched it a lot more thoroughly than I have!

It gives me hope.

Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

It's interesting to read, although I still don't understand how anyone who's a thinking person (which he clearly is) could think that voting to leave without any kind of clear planning or agreement for a Norway style agreement could result in anything but this omni-shambles.

As he himself says, never trust a Tory but he trusted them to deliver something as complex as Brexit? I don't say this to attack him*, just to point out some serious cognitive dissonance.

*Nor the silent minority on here.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Lily wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:18 pm I didn't say it was insulting. I didn't think it was accurate.
What? How can my opinion (that people on this thread are actually being polite) not be 'accurate'?? It's an opinion!
Montana

Post by Montana »

Luce wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:53 pm Edit; thank you, that was a credible and well thought answer and remarkably similar to what my mum says - although she is against free movement. I don’t necessarily agree with lots of it but I wish so strongly that more Leave people were like that.

It still doesn’t tell me what perceived benefits we’ll get from leaving but I can appreciate the ‘rock/hard place’ argument.
But how do you know there are not 'more' Leave voters like that? Surely that reinforces the point that Lily is heroically making - that discussion with people whose views differ from yours should not necessarily be about trying to change people's minds but to engage with them and de-demonising them (and you to them). The Leave voters I know in real life are in the category of Tsu's son (although in their case this doesn't translate into wanting a Norway type exit)

If nothing else, as has been acknowledged on this thread, although things are incredibly polarised at the moment, it's in an extremely non-traditional way. I'm finding it hard to get my head round why traditionally working class areas would have voted Conservative (although in some cases the Labour vote went to the Brexit Party which is a bit more comprehensible and hopefully non-repeatable) and just lumping them as racist / stupid* is not helping me understand it. Is it wrong for me to believe that it wasn't just (or even mainly) the anti Semitism?
indigo

Post by indigo »

I would really love to know what the Leave voters think about the situation that the millions of EU citizens living in England face. You know, for example, the 76 year old woman from Germany who has lived and worked here for over 50 years and for whom applying for Settled Status (because she can't afford citizenship, what with being a pensioner and everything) has made her ill with the stress.

Are she and people like her just collateral damage and/or snowflake remoaners?
smalex

Post by smalex »

Montana wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:18 am
Luce wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:53 pm Edit; thank you, that was a credible and well thought answer and remarkably similar to what my mum says - although she is against free movement. I don’t necessarily agree with lots of it but I wish so strongly that more Leave people were like that.

It still doesn’t tell me what perceived benefits we’ll get from leaving but I can appreciate the ‘rock/hard place’ argument.
But how do you know there are not 'more' Leave voters like that? Surely that reinforces the point that Lily is heroically making - that discussion with people whose views differ from yours should not necessarily be about trying to change people's minds but to engage with them and de-demonising them (and you to them). The Leave voters I know in real life are in the category of Tsu's son (although in their case this doesn't translate into wanting a Norway type exit)
Obviously it's difficult to say without doing a comprehensive survey of leave voters, but you have to admit there doesn't seem to be a great appetite for it, there didn't seem to be a lot of Leave voters saying 'hey, what about a closer arrangement like we were promised in the campaign?', putting pressure on MPs to come up with some sort of more compromised arrangement. The rise in support for the Brexit party during the EU elections (with a plain, No deal exit stance) and the victory of the Conservatives (who have some shambolic deal not at all like Norway or single market, and who have, at best, made it quite plain they're willing to go for No Deal if neccessary, with some evidence they're actually aiming for No Deal), not to mention vox pops on the TV, surveys I've read etc, seem to indicate a high % of leave voters aren't hankering after a Norway style deal.
I'll grant you we can't assume every leave voter we encounter will feel the same way, but I think it's fairly safe to say that, generally speaking, it's not a popular opinion among Leave voters.
Last edited by smalex on Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Luce wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:46 pm
Lily wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:18 pm I didn't say it was insulting. I didn't think it was accurate.
What? How can my opinion (that people on this thread are actually being polite) not be 'accurate'?? It's an opinion!
You said they were being painfully polite. As if that were a bad thing.

It was just asking without getting angry about it. That's all. And lo, a discussion came to pass.

Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Thank you Montana for explaining it better than I have!

Call me cynical but people with reasoned views on either side don't make for good TV or gripping vox pops. I wouldn't watch them!

smalex

Post by smalex »

indigo wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:30 am I would really love to know what the Leave voters think about the situation that the millions of EU citizens living in England face. You know, for example, the 76 year old woman from Germany who has lived and worked here for over 50 years and for whom applying for Settled Status (because she can't afford citizenship, what with being a pensioner and everything) has made her ill with the stress.

I'm so sorry for your Mum Digs. Has the application been sorted out yet?

I was chatting to my nail girl at the weekend about her visas and stuff (she's Romanian). Just felt so horribly embarrassed and ashamed (not that she made me feel that, the situation does). She's obviously a lot younger and hasn't been here anywhere near as long, but it's so hideous how people are being made to feel.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Lily wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:35 am Thank you Montana for explaining it better than I have!

Call me cynical but people with reasoned views on either side don't make for good TV or gripping vox pops. I wouldn't watch them!
You've picked out one element of the point I made, there. :))
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

That's cos I'm drying my hair and am trying to make things a bit jolly. It won't last.

Estrella

Post by Estrella »

indigo wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:30 am I would really love to know what the Leave voters think about the situation that the millions of EU citizens living in England face. You know, for example, the 76 year old woman from Germany who has lived and worked here for over 50 years and for whom applying for Settled Status (because she can't afford citizenship, what with being a pensioner and everything) has made her ill with the stress.

My dad is having to apply for settled status too. With the added complication that he no longer has a valid passport, so my mum has to take him to London (he’s quite disabled after a stroke so this is a huge undertaking as well as a cost) before he can even get it sorted. All this after 40+ years of public service in the UK.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Where is your dad from (originally) Est? I don't think I realised he was vulnerable in all this too. It must be so deeply unsettling.
Last edited by smalex on Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

It’s really not a jolly subject, Lily. And, IMO, ought not to be made light of.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

If it helps at all, my aunt found that the settled status application process was a lot easier than she expected once she went through it. She had a passport though, so I'm sorry it's extra difficult for your dad, Est. But yeah, she found having to do it quite galling after living here and paying taxes for forty years, with a British husband and child
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Thanks for asking your son, Tsu. His views are why I can understand the Leave vote a bit.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

smalex wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:58 am Where is your dad from (originally) Est? I don't think I realised he was vulnerable in all this too. It must be so deeply unsettling.
He’s from France. Has been in the UK since 1973.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Kenickie wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:05 am If it helps at all, my aunt found that the settled status application process was a lot easier than she expected once she went through it. She had a passport though, so I'm sorry it's extra difficult for your dad, Est. But yeah, she found having to do it quite galling after living here and paying taxes for forty years, with a British husband and child
Thanks, Ken. That’s reassuring that it shouldn’t be too arduous once he gets his passport.