Labour Leadership : Reboot 2019

Bat Macdui

Re: Labour Leadership : Reboot 2019

Post by Bat Macdui »

One of the commentators I follow on Twitter said that if Corbyn stood again in the Leadership he'd probably be elected. :lg: I think he might be right. Still. We are where we are. We just need to Get On.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Fucking owen jones did a piece this week that really annoyed me (quelle surprise) , claiming there was no evidence that people wanted labour to move to the centre ground, citing lack of success for the lib dems. Heavily hinting at electing a corbynite.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I saw his headline then decided that I wasn't reading it. Self-care. :yes: :))
smalex

Post by smalex »

Probably sensible.

He seemed to ignore that a lot of people who did vote labour did so in desperation and an absence of any other choices rather a glowing endorsement of Corbynism.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Labour need to sit down and properly work out what happened last election and then work out what they want to be. :yes: Then hang, draw and quarter fucking Milne. :pacifist: It's not *just* Corbyn, there are so many things they got wrong.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

smalex wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:21 am Fucking owen jones did a piece this week that really annoyed me (quelle surprise) , claiming there was no evidence that people wanted labour to move to the centre ground, citing lack of success for the lib dems. Heavily hinting at electing a corbynite.
That evidence not being then that we lost the fucking election. Fucking idiot.
Malan
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

There's a Labour survey about What Went Wrong. Here. It's aimed primarily at members/campaigners, but they seem to count you as a campaigner if you shared social media content and talked to friends and family.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

God, I love a survey.
Marth

Post by Marth »

Excellent. That felt cathartic. Thanks Bats

Q What groups of people did you feel were most resistant to voting Labour?

A: Tories. Some leave areas. Members of the Brexit Party. Members of the Lib Dems/Green. Also many previous Labour voters were now resistant to voting Labour.
Malan
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

That’s pretty much what I said. A lot of “just get an electable leader and do the policies once everyone has fallen for it”.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I thought a lot of the questions were a bit vague and repetitive. I suggested they hire a Comms Director capable of taking on Cummings, sort out their key messages, have responses ready much more quickly, and target separate groups like a budget explanation - 'a family of 4 on £x will spend £y more of tax, but get z back in improved services' sort of thing. And that they listen to people rather than thinking they can convert them with what they think they should want. I also did a fair few 'see previous answer' replies.

Who was resistant to voting Labour? Obviously Tories, but also people who don't have real freedom of movement in the UK, never mind the EU, because of house price differentials and so on, and are sick of being told they don't understand the implications of Brexit for those who do. And people who still associate a Labour vote with being working class, and want to disassociate from that. They used to vote Lib Dem, but as they are now such a shambles, Tory seemed a better bet.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Dan Jarvis on Radio 4 not ruling out standing!
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

He seems quite normal. For now.
Marth

Post by Marth »

There are mere days left to join, if anyone was pondering this.
Malan
Marth

Post by Marth »

Also I think Jess Phillips is going to announce today. I'll be emailing my Labour MP asking her to support her.
Malan
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Going back to something Ruby said earlier, I’m thinking that this will become yet another glass cliff situation, with women being allowed a shot now while there’s a lot of clearing up to do but no chance of actually leading the country for ages yet.

I haven’t explained that well :blah:.
Marth

Post by Marth »

No, I know exactly what you mean. May was the fall woman for the Tories.

Regardless though, the time is absolutely now for a woman to have a serious shot at leadership. If we have a woman now, it doesn't mean that we can't have another one leading in 4/5 years time.
Malan
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Marth wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:04 am Also I think Jess Phillips is going to announce today. I'll be emailing my Labour MP asking her to support her.
Given my MP is Lisa Nandy, I don't think this tactic will work in my constituency. :))

The Momentum/Corbyn Project Tweeters going mad yesterday about Starmer being the front runner was... entertaining.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Marth wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:00 am No, I know exactly what you mean. May was the fall woman for the Tories.

Regardless though, the time is absolutely now for a woman to have a serious shot at leadership. If we have a woman now, it doesn't mean that we can't have another one leading in 4/5 years time.
Two women in a row :crazy: That's PC gone mad.
Roma

Post by Roma »

I’m conflicted. I want to support any opposition to the Tories, but I’m still so angry with the Labour Party for the mess they’ve made with the election/ Brexit. I’m not sure if I can support them now and really would only want to see Jess Phillips or Keir Starmer as new Leader and I’m not likely that is.