Labour Leadership : Reboot 2019

Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Labour Leadership : Reboot 2019

Post by Marth »

Here we are again! Our rebooted thread needed a reboot.

Rebecca Long Bailey? Really??

I think we should have a woman leader definitely, but I can just see the Corbynista stooges voting her in to protect Corbyn. No matter that he lost the last TWO elections against a completely numpty and her Dementia Tax and a proven lying toff!

I would like Jess Phillips please. (For now, my view may well change) People are saying that the cut off to vote will be around the middle of Jan 20
Malan
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Re: Labour Leadership : Reboot 2019

Post by Kenickie »

I would also like Jess Phillips. I think she'd be excellent at holding the government to account, and is much more likeable and charismatic than Corbyn.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I third J P.

Does this mean I need to get my finger out if I am going to rejoin? I prefer to faff about dithering for a bit before doing things :)). Decisiveness has never been my strong point.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I would do it soon in case you're excluded from the vote!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Marth

Post by Marth »

Morganna wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:37 pm I third J P.

Does this mean I need to get my finger out if I am going to rejoin? I prefer to faff about dithering for a bit before doing things :)). Decisiveness has never been my strong point.
I understand the dithering, but you can always join and cancel later. If you are a member of an affiliated union and pay the LP pollical levy you will get a vote through that also .
Malan
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

She's up there for me too, although I'm not making any firm decisions yet. Forthright, pragmatic, principled, takes no bullshit, would totally deflate Johnson's inept, deceitful bluster in PMQs and would be a massive fucking breath of fresh air in this climate of lies, career-driven decisions, dithering and arrogant disconnect. It is also breathtaking how rare it is for someone in the public eye of politics to have these characteristics when in real life I know tonnes of women who are this strong and capable. My fear is how deeply unpleasant the more vile parts of the society will be about and to her, and how much misogyny will be unleashed. She certainly upsets that sort of man. Of course this is not a reason for her to not lead, not at all (the opposite, in fact) but I suspect it's not going to be pleasant.

I also think that Keir Starmer could be the acceptable face of Labour that could bring the lost voters back.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Marth

Post by Marth »

This is the LP rule book: https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/upload ... k-2019.pdf

The cut off for new members to be able to vote should be no less than two weeks after the timetable is agreed, so new members should probably join before the 20th of January.

No word yet on £3 voters.
Malan
Luce

Post by Luce »

Hello, I've rejoined Labour so I can have a say. I'm also all for JP, she's so bloody pragmatic which I really love. And seems incredibly authentic which is such a breath of fresh air.

I can't see her winning people over, is my only concern. Because of the whole woman thing. I'd LOVE that to not be the case. But I have such little trust in the general public that I fear it may be a case of supporting my principles at the expense of winning or supporting winning at the expense of my principles. Which is very Labour :))
smalex

Post by smalex »

At the moment my heart says Jess Phillips or Kier Starmer, but I'm trying to keep an open mind. I like them both, for totally different reasons.

I joined on saturday so I'm hopeful of getting a vote.

I don't know much about Lisa Nandy, but I hear her name a lot.
Marth

Post by Marth »

Luce wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:06 pm Hello, I've rejoined Labour so I can have a say. I'm also all for JP, she's so bloody pragmatic which I really love. And seems incredibly authentic which is such a breath of fresh air.

I can't see her winning people over, is my only concern. Because of the whole woman thing. I'd LOVE that to not be the case. But I have such little trust in the general public that I fear it may be a case of supporting my principles at the expense of winning or supporting winning at the expense of my principles. Which is very Labour :))
I've heard her speak on many different topics and I thinks she's so brilliantly articulate.
Luce wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:06 pm
I can't see her winning people over, is my only concern. Because of the whole woman thing.
It will probably be a women's contest anyway (which I think it should be), and I also think it will be ok. After all May with her most terrible election manifesto, and being a woman still managed to beat Corbyn.
Malan
Luce

Post by Luce »

Yes, that’s true although sometimes it feels that you’re only allowed to be a woman leader if you’re right wing. But I feel very hopeless at the moment an am basically never on the winning side.
Marth

Post by Marth »

Luce wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:43 pm Yes, that’s true although sometimes it feels that you’re only allowed to be a woman leader if you’re right wing. But I feel very hopeless at the moment an am basically never on the winning side.
I know, I feel the same. All I thought was right now seems wrong.
Malan
Luce

Post by Luce »

I bet we’re all a total joy to be around at the moment. Merry fucking Christmas :lol:
Marth

Post by Marth »

Luce wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:50 pm I bet we’re all a total joy to be around at the moment. Merry fucking Christmas :lol:
Another 5 years of Tory rule, I've got yet another fucking cold and my face has swollen up very unattractively. This is turning out to be the best Christmas :lol:
Malan
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

I really like Jess Phillips. This, of course, means she has no chance of being elected :doingbadlyinelectionslately: :hollowlaughter:
Marth

Post by Marth »

Livilla wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:59 pm I really like Jess Phillips. This, of course, means she has no chance of being elected :doingbadlyinelectionslately: :hollowlaughter:
I think this too, sadly. She would be very good.
Malan
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I have never been a member of a party before but am considering it now especially as I have found a lot of people in the area are members of the Conservatives (wealthy farming folk apparently). Forgive a massively stupid question but does it just help a party by your paying a membership fee? Also should someone who knows piss all about all these people get involved or is it cheating if I just vote for who you lot think is a good idea?
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Marth

Post by Marth »

Lily wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:12 pm I have never been a member of a party before but am considering it now especially as I have found a lot of people in the area are members of the Conservatives (wealthy farming folk apparently). Forgive a massively stupid question but does it just help a party by your paying a membership fee? Also should someone who knows piss all about all these people get involved or is it cheating if I just vote for who you lot think is a good idea?
It does help paying your fee. It's funding for the party. (Unless you are the Conservatives who get massive funding from big rich donors)

You can join and get to know what's going on and then make a decision you are happy with.
Malan
overthehill

Post by overthehill »

I'm wondering whether to join. It seems a bit hypocritical, due to being non-resident. But, then again, we are entitled to vote in elections until June 2022, so if we can influence the vote for leader ... seems a good reason. What do you think? Would they even have us?

Our London MP is bound to send out a newsletter with his views on the leadership. I don't think he was ever a huge fan of Corbyn, so I wonder who he'll back.
"Inagh to China Motorcycle Ride" blog, if you're interested: www.inaghtochina.com :))
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I wouldn't be joining them if they paid me in their current state.