Labour Leadership : Reboot 2019

Bat Macdui

Re: Labour Leadership : Reboot 2019

Post by Bat Macdui »

No-one is going to be able to please anyone well enough on the GRA and related stuff. Has anyone even asked any of the others? Keir's probably the one who will get least vitriol about it, anyway. Because, you know, a man.

Owen Jones's Medium piece on Jess withdrawing is, even for him, horribly graceless.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Meanwhile, in some other reality, GMB have nominated Lisa Nandy and Angela Raynor. Like this. :lol:
lorri_b

Post by lorri_b »

My CLP voted last night for Emily Thornberry, with RLB a close second.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Bat Macdui wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:29 pm No-one is going to be able to please anyone well enough on the GRA and related stuff. Has anyone even asked any of the others? Keir's probably the one who will get least vitriol about it, anyway. Because, you know, a man.

Owen Jones's Medium piece on Jess withdrawing is, even for him, horribly graceless.
OJ gets more and more prattish. Such a dickwad.
Malan
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Bat Macdui wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:29 pm Has anyone even asked any of the others? Keir's probably the one who will get least vitriol about it, anyway. Because, you know, a man.
Agreed. People on Twitter did try to get the others involved, but they very sensibly avoided it.
He’s such, SUCH a cunt.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Marth wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:58 am I really like Lisa Nandy. I hope she gets through.
I had really mentally resigned myself to Keir as the Not RLB choice but I also find myself REALLY liking Lisa Nandy.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Jess Phillips is backing her now isn't she? My local MP is backing her too (though can't really say why in any detail because of the insane 50 word restriction). I'd be fine with her or Keir, I'm still undecided.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I would like Lisa or Keir, but will wait to see what the odds/numbers look like nearer crunch vote time. I am *terrified* of splitting the sensible vote.

I'm still not even thinking about Thornberry. Though when I considered this it is entirely because she once said something utterly stupid about Trident and I don't even CARE that much about Trident. :lol:
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Bat Macdui wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:55 pm I would like Lisa or Keir, but will wait to see what the odds/numbers look like nearer crunch vote time. I am *terrified* of splitting the sensible vote.
Same. And same re: Thornberry too. Although she also said something stupid about people who drive white vans and, given the current climate, I think she's probably a liability. Partner said she was useless at the Hustings.

I am currently No.1 Starmer, No.2 Nandy. RLB is unlikely to get many second choices, I reckon.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

I am the same Ruby. I’m not sure what my CLP will vote for. It looked like you had to be a member before the election to vote in the CLP so I guess I’ll skip that bit.
Marth

Post by Marth »

You needed to be a member for 8 weeks before the CLP vote.
Malan
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Which I think is before the election? I don’t think it matters anyway, the CLP votes just get them in the ballot I think?
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I can't go to my CLP meeting because if the SAM's parents evening.
Marth

Post by Marth »

Chicky wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:42 pm Which I think is before the election? I don’t think it matters anyway, the CLP votes just get them in the ballot I think?
It does show popularity and as such is important, but I feel that all three of the main contenders for leader will be on the final ballot. Starmer/Nandy and RLB

There are hundreds of CLPs still to nominate if they can be arsed.
Malan
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

My local party has stopped emailing me so goodness knows what they’re up to.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Team Nandy just emailed me a reminder to go to my CLP meeting tonight. :)) I have not signed up to Team Nandy, but I assume I am on a database somewhere from consistently emailing her as my MP (LISA WHAT ABOUT BREXIT/GRA/ANTI-SEMITISM).
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:51 am My local party has stopped emailing me so goodness knows what they’re up to.
Secretive factional meetings in the back rooms of Labour clubs, conspiring for Keir. :yes:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I didn't realise she was your MP, Bats. She's my preferred choice now I think.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

She is an absolutely excellent constituency MP. :yes: She's been on every picket line there's been during her time and the reason she gets laughed at for banging on about buses and towns is because what Wigan needs is good, affordable buses and investment in the town. If you want to look at what austerity and out of town locations do to town centres, come to Wigan. Cash converters, two Pound Bakerys, charity shops and vape shops. Marks shut last year. It's a fucking wasteland and I only go for the library and occasionally a muffin and a cappuccino in Cafe Nero. Before paying £2.50 to go a mile and half home on the (always late) bus.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I couldn’t agree more about the public transport issue (and the town centre regeneration one). I think that it is that sort of thing that makes people feel ‘left behind’, and makes a massive difference to day to day lives.

We have lots of very small towns with no links between them. It’s bad for the residents and bad for small businesses, as people can’t get to anywhere off the main A1 route without a car, and even on the bus route there’s not much happening after 10,00pm.