Pandemic Politics and Economics

SunnyMum

Re: Pandemic Politics and Economics

Post by SunnyMum »

:cry: Jings.

Who paid for the flights? The employers?

We're trying to put together our olive harvest team for October. About 1/4 of the team are usually non-French (in recent years they've been Bulgarian, Spanish, Italian and Russian) and they/we don't know if they're going to be able to come this year.
The other 3/4 are still in lockdown and unemployed (no furloughing for seasonal workers) and keen to get back to work but are awaiting new guidelines and govt instructions.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:44 pm Yes, in news that shocks nobody, there are jobs that no Brits want to do but that are still essential, that are filled by foreign workers.
If only somebody had warned us :cry:
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

There's a specific far in Kent that has to find the workers, THEN work out what do with 33 tonnes of strawberries when there's no Wimbledon. 33 tonnes. I can't even think what 33 tonnes of strawberries might look like.
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

Yes. Such a MASSIVELY SHOCKING SHOCK.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Nice one, Leave voters. Taking back control.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Its probably what they want, thinking about it. Come here, pick our veg then piss off back.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Yeah, happy to exploit people for cheap labour but no intention of giving them any rights. Taking back control.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

I really don't understand it.
Our non French workers work on various farms throughout the year. They are paid exactly the same as our French workers. They have the same rights. The only difference to me is the paperwork for their contracts.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

sally maclennane wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:59 pm Yeah, happy to exploit people for cheap labour but no intention of giving them any rights. Taking back control.
Ah, yes.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

SunnyMum wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:14 pm I really don't understand it.
Our non French workers work on various farms throughout the year. They are paid exactly the same as our French workers. They have the same rights. The only difference to me is the paperwork for their contracts.
I think in the UK it is more rights around freedom of movement, rights to in work benefits, time spent in the UK leading to a right to reside etc.

Not sure about equal pay here. I know there was some difference if using out of UK agencies. Corbyn and unions were very anti as it undercut wages here. Can't remember the detail though.
Malan
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Don't you pay lower "NI" etc. for them Sunny, in their home countries?
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

Ah. Ok. Thanks Marth.
No, PG, they pay into the Sécu in France, as do we as employers. They mostly already have a French NI number having worked here previously. If they don't then we do the paperwork to get one for them.
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

We don't use an agency or anything like that. They send their CV, ID, NI number and apply directly to us in the same was a French person would.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

SunnyMum wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:10 am No, PG, they pay into the Sécu in France, as do we as employers. They mostly already have a French NI number having worked here previously. If they don't then we do the paperwork to get one for them.
That's nice. I didn't mean to sound accusatory, I just thought that was how it worked under the EU rules but it's good that ethical employers have the option to do better.
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

No worries PG, it didn't sound accusatory.
I don't feel that we're ethical. We're just ordinary farmers hiring seasonal staff.
Dáire

Post by Dáire »

I wonder if the low wages here are because we cut a chunk of their salary off for 'rent' of the tiny on-site barracks they have to live in. They can therefore still be paid minimum wage, but take far less home.
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

Our seasonal staff come in their own vans which they've converted into mobile homes. We provide water and electricity, but otherwise they're autonomous.
viggy

Post by viggy »

In case anyone wants to read that Sunday Times article that analyses how and why our response has been utterly woeful. (the original is behind a pay wall)

http://archive.is/hBnH4
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

It's all quite horrifying listed out like that. I'm so black and white about meetings at work, I can't even contemplate missing a cobra meeting.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

viggy wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:01 am In case anyone wants to read that Sunday Times article that analyses how and why our response has been utterly woeful. (the original is behind a pay wall)

http://archive.is/hBnH4
Thanks Viggy. That's chilling to read.

When I went to Venice in the first week of Feb they took all our temperatures when we got off the plane, and had already stopped flights from China.

We fully expected there would be something similar when we flew back to the UK, but there was nothing.
Malan