Pandemic Politics and Economics

smalex

Re: Pandemic Politics and Economics

Post by smalex »

viggy wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:14 am I hear Trump has suspended payments to the WHO. :ella: Helpful.
Yep. Of all the fucking ridiculously stupid things the man has done in the last 4 years...
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Bat Macdui wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:45 am Also, some of the things reopening across Europe are things we've not shut. :look:
What, public parks etc? I’m fascinated by stationers, I wonder if it’s more like a newsagent.

And TRUMP, ffs. The man is horrific. I can’t believe anyone, anywhere still supports him in the face of such foul lies and disregard for people’s lives.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

It must be more like a newsagent, mustn’t it? We should find an Italian to ask.

I have to admit, I have a Paperchase basket ready. I recently felt a huge need to replace my to do list pad and get a new notebook to write down my workouts in.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Trump really is criminally insane. Withdrawing funding in the middle of a pandemic. Nice one.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Trump has outdone himself.

Stationers is presumably for people home working and homeschooling? We've been burning through paper, pens etc here!
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Trump is unravelling more each day, and I thought he had already reached the end of his yarn at least a year ago. He reckons this is all WHO's fault for ignoring it, doesn't he. As opposed to him being the one to ignore it when there was actual evidence.

Italy is still mostly small shops rather than big business (obvious exceptions etc, but compared to most of Europe and particularly to here). Also, important: there are garden centres that have a Seasalt and/or a Mountain Warehouse in them?!
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I still think he'll get re-elected.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

You know it.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Well now that the Democrats have chosen another right-wing rapey senile white man to challenge him there's even less hope. Poor Americans :(
smalex

Post by smalex »

Unfortunately I guess the virus isn't ripping through the areas where trump has the core of his vote, it's ripping through places who tend to already think he's a megalomaniac idiot.

Biden allegations aside, I'm not sure I preferred Bernie Sanders as an alternative against Trump. But maybe I'm tarring him with Corbyn's brush.
elena

Post by elena »

Stationers have been allowed to stay open here - as Emma says primarily for home schooling and children's craft projects - no-one is allowed out for exercise so some means of keeping children from climbing the walls is essential. Newspapers here are generally sold in the Tabacs - tobacco/cigarette shops which are also open.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

smalex wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:40 am Biden allegations aside, I'm not sure I preferred Bernie Sanders as an alternative against Trump. But maybe I'm tarring him with Corbyn's brush.
I haven't studied his policies in any detail and am mostly basing my opinion on following items about the primaries over there, but I think he is fairly Corbyn-like, but doesn't seem to have the jam making / never concentrating on the most important and urgent things traits. Either way either Sanders or Corbyn would be a million miles better than Trump. I've also read that people who are fed up with mainstream policies would vote Trump or Sanders as something different to the norm, but not Biden.

Obviously he's still a privileged and elderly white man, but maybe that'd allow him to get votes other candidates wouldn't?
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Turtle Bean wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:05 am I still think he'll get re-elected.
I agree. :sad:

I’m not overly enamoured by Biden either but I’m hoping that Obama fans will get behind him. It’s not the right reason for him to be elected but Trump’s last WH briefing was utterly disgraceful.

Now, placing his inaction at the door of the WHO is shameful.
Montana

Post by Montana »

Bat Macdui wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:45 am
Also, some of the things reopening across Europe are things we've not shut. :look: So whilst it is interesting to look at how others test this, it's also possible our May could see more strict instructions before we move to reopening.
My guess would be that they won't increase restrictions but that less strict lockdown will mean longer lockdown. Let's hope, if so, that they at least extend the Job Retention Scheme etc.
Montana

Post by Montana »

I think Trump will get re-elected too. Blaming the WHO is probably a very effective political strategy, targeted at the xenophobic demographic that got him elected last time. Biden is woefully uninspiring. I remember when Obama appointed him as his running mate he was considered a bit of a joke.
Montana

Post by Montana »

smalex wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:40 am Unfortunately I guess the virus isn't ripping through the areas where trump has the core of his vote, it's ripping through places who tend to already think he's a megalomaniac idiot.
Those sort of areas have taken so long to lock down or done so so ineffectively that maybe by November it will?
SunnyMum

Post by SunnyMum »

I've just read that the UK has shipped in plane loads of eastern european workers to pick fruit and veg that are otherwise doomed to rot in the fields.
Eh?
Sorry, but I must be missing something. Erm... Brexit? Lockdown? Unemployed Brits?
Can anyone explain to me what is going on ?
smalex

Post by smalex »

Yes apparently. There wasn't much uptake from British workers. Colour me surprised
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Yes, in news that shocks nobody, there are jobs that no Brits want to do but that are still essential, that are filled by foreign workers.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

Who'd have thought?