Pandemic Politics and Economics

sally maclennane

Re: Pandemic Politics and Economics

Post by sally maclennane »

I hate so much the easy ride he gets from the media. I keep thinking about how Ed Miliband who was happily co habiting until he became Labour leader and then hastily got wed because GOD FORBID we have a co habiting PM! Suddenly now it's different because it's Boris, what's he like, eh? :ella:
Last edited by sally maclennane on Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Ella77 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:44 pm How will we know the difference?
:lol: True.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Light relief - @BCredibility on Twitter is tweeting analysis of bookcases behind public figures interviewed from their homes.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I watched PMQs over lunch (I know how to live life, really). And I am quietly impressed by Starmer and would note, like all other commentators, that Johnson's bluff responses do not play well when the chamber is empty and there's not all that godawful Eton mess of a booing and hoorahing. We should definitely ban all that when they all go back. It was miles easier to listen to as well.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I saw KS on the news and thought he was very good, you can tell he was a QC in a previous life. So much better than Johnston and his bluster and waffle.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Also, I stand slightly corrected from my earlier 'WTF is Starmer doing' post, as commentators with more time to dedicate to this sort of thing (and interest) than I have seem to be of the opinion that Starmer was actually cutting a quiet but lethal swathe through LP admin. Hence the recent departures of Milne, Formby etc. I am sat here, patient, waiting for someone to dig a really big hole under Len McCluskey now.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Has Formby gone??
Malan
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Resigned two days ago. It is quite easy to miss this sort of thing at the moment. :))
Marth

Post by Marth »

Bat Macdui wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:59 pm Resigned two days ago. It is quite easy to miss this sort of thing at the moment. :))
Oooooo I completely missed that. Anything to do with that bent report I wonder? :puddled:
Malan
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Isn’t it just because she’s a mad Corbynite (?) and can’t stomach Keir Starmer? (I am so ignorant, so sorry if I’m wrong.)
Marth

Post by Marth »

Ella77 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:39 pm Isn’t it just because she’s a mad Corbynite (?) and can’t stomach Keir Starmer? (I am so ignorant, so sorry if I’m wrong.)
There is that, but there's also a big kerfuffle about a leaked report.
Malan
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

The leaked report is interesting, but not for the reasons that a lot of Corbynistas think. I'm glad Formby has gone and her position was untenable really. I will be interested to see who replaces her, as I think it's unlikely it will be Emily Oldknow now
Roma

Post by Roma »

So it seems as per the news the infection rate in the UK is already rising again. I really wish we’d stayed in total lockdown for at least another couple of weeks.

In other London news the Congestion charge in London is to start up again at a more expensive rate and with extended hours. Workers are encouraged to drive to work but then have to pay more to do so. I think with that rise and parking issues only the very well paid would even consider driving in.

I guess the government really only wants people to cycle and walk to London, but completely ignore the actual distances most London commuters have to travel. Everyone will just pile onto the tube and trains again...
Roma

Post by Roma »

Oh and also just read that the government will not extend funding to help rough sleepers in England. I despair with this government.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

That’s not quite fair. They’re* trying to make London (and other cities) safer for cyclists and pedestrians, and the increase in the congestion charge is intended to dissuade people from casual car use. There is a rebate scheme for front-line workers, including care workers.

If hypothetically I wanted to tool around in my car in town and go and visit people, I’d pay a higher congestion charge for the privilege. That’s fine by me, because it would be non-essential.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... down-eased

* the London mayor, not the govt. Very different people!
Marth

Post by Marth »

Yes our mayor has always been really invested in reducing car travel as pollution is so high in parts of London and is killing people. Also tfl have been compelled to do this by the govt in return for a few measly months funding by the govt. I am beyond pissed off.
Malan
Marth

Post by Marth »

Roma wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:15 pm Oh and also just read that the government will not extend funding to help rough sleepers in England. I despair with this government.
Yep. They are pulling the rug out asap
Malan
Marth

Post by Marth »

Marth wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 7:21 pm Yes our mayor has always been really invested in reducing car travel as pollution is so high in parts of London and is killing people. Also tfl have been compelled to do this by the govt in return for a few measly months funding by the govt. I am beyond pissed off.
Just to be clear, I'm not pissed off at the increased congestion charge, I'm pissed off at the conditions insisted upon by the govt to help TFL to September. The govt.are turning the screws. They hate Sadiq.
Malan
smalex

Post by smalex »

Do the government want to replace TFL or something? (I've no idea who owns tfl so 'scuse my ignorance). It seems insane to want to run it into the ground
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

They just want to break the unions.