New World Order - Politics 2021

Derek Nimmo

Re: New World Order - Politics 2021

Post by Derek Nimmo »

Cummings as a vindictive shit was fairly inevitable though! My enemy's enemy is still not my friend :)) They're all such vile profiteering moral black holes, but let's hope the in-fighting fucks them all.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Derek Nimmo wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:05 pm Cummings as a vindictive shit was fairly inevitable though! My enemy's enemy is still not my friend :)) They're all such vile profiteering moral black holes, but let's hope the in-fighting fucks them all.
This
Malan
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I still doubt anything will click with the electorate. Even I find it hard to care too much about his bloody decorating.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

200k to decorate a house they’ll be in for a few years. It’s not much less than the average house price in the UK! Fine if they are paying but expecting someone else to pay seems a bit (a lot) entitled.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

Oh totally. But in the general scheme of things, it doesn't seem that important to me and I strongly dislike him so I wonder if his supporters will actually care.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

His supporters are like Trump's supporters, its like a cult. Any criticism of him just makes them dig in deeper.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

When the repossessions and evictions start after furlough ends it will be more difficult to defend, though. Anyone at risk of losing their home is going to struggle with the idea that someone can spend 200k on decorating.

Having said that, I agree about the cult thing. It's incomprehensible to me, as I struggle to see Johnson as anything more than a comic character. He even speaks like someone out of the Beano.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Presiding over a catastrophic death toll to matter much more than 200k on new curtains, but sometimes these seemingly smaller things do blow up much larger, for one reason or another.

Not every tory voter in the last election is a cultist, most aren't, there's still a lot of minds that could be changed. I feel very pessimistic but also hate the very resigned discussion about it. People (here and elsewhere) talked this way about Trump and in the end it didn't turn out that way.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I think that Johnson has become conflated with Brexit, and (a lot of) people would see turning against him as admitting that they were wrong about that, which is now tantamount to admitting ignorance, stupidity and racism.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

This is interesting, I think.

It's a YouGov survey of attitudes of LP members towards Starmer and the party in general.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Brexit is (as ever) too big to conflate into a single attitude. I think there's a lot of visible and vocal volte facing going on, particularly where the impacts are being felt the most. Lots of 'but they promised/missed opportunity/we told them' coming from obvious subsectors like fishing, farming, exporters, logistics, Northern Ireland. And Ian Dunt is saying some interesting things about the Blue/Yellow constituencies, which I hadn't thought about before. Those that vacillate between Lib Dem and Tory because Labour is too much for them, but they're generally centists* with a more right lean. They are very very turned off by Johnson's government.

*Like bloody most of the country.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

I hope that translates into votes when the time comes. I read something last night about Johnson having given the nod to the football super league thing, too. That won't do him any good if there is proof.

The Guardian is also saying that he said that he would rather see thousands more dead than have a third lockdown. Again, we need proof, but FFS! If that doesn't see him off we are doomed.

Why is Demonic waiting until May to show his hand? Is it to get the elections over with?
smalex

Post by smalex »

The Mail is leading with that '1000s dead' thing, too. As much as we all justifiably loathe the Mail, it'll carry more weight with likely Tory voters in there than the Guardian.

He said it. We all know. Course he said it.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

Oh yes. But if he said it in a meeting, people will refuse to believe it and say the leak is 'just spite'. There really has to be proof, and I pray to the wee donkey that there is.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Emma Kennedy says Cummings has tapes.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Shit! No way.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Morganna wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:51 am Anyone at risk of losing their home is going to struggle with the idea that someone can spend 200k on decorating.
Maybe he used the decorating company that I got a quote from the other day.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I do think the Mail turning is significant and will carry weight. I shake my head at the illegal redecoration of his flat being the thing that (ostensibly) triggered this, rather than, say, presiding over huge numbers of unnecessary deaths, fucking the economy, and paying for sex with tax payers money, but so be it.

Also I've said this before but I don't see how a true conservative (as opposed to someone who votes for them because one of their policies aligns with their prejudices) can support this government - they're not conservative.

I can't keep up via Twitter due to Line of Duty which is KILLING ME.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
smalex

Post by smalex »

nineseven wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:24 am
Morganna wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:51 am Anyone at risk of losing their home is going to struggle with the idea that someone can spend 200k on decorating.
Maybe he used the decorating company that I got a quote from the other day.
:lol:
Pootle
Topaz Titanium

Post by Pootle »

I think Cummings is refusing to give any media interviews at all, I don't think he ever really has. He has told the parliamentary enquiry he will answer questions for as long as they like but he does seem to have a bit of a proviso about not answering about absolutely anything (don't think there are reports yet over what the limits may be). He apparently told all who worked there to record all meetings so who knows what he has (that cardboard box is looking interesting now). Simon Case, the Cabinet Secretary, is in front an an enquiry today so should be questioned about all this rather than just Greensill. Thought that he'll deny having cleared Cummings of the leak about the second lockdown (the one Comings says was Carrie's pal). I'm very suspicious of how quiet Gove has been lately and am side eying him for leaks :))