Sarah Everard

rosy

Re: Sarah Everard

Post by rosy »

That poor woman and her family.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Lily wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:31 pm
Disco wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:03 pm I thank my lucky stars very often that I avoided becoming a murder victim.
I think about this far more often than I should do, and I promise I'm not a stalker.

So the guy's been arrested on suspicion of murder. I really did hope for a better outcome, although I knew it was unlikely. :(
I cant see this reported. Is it on the main channels?
Malan
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

rosy

Post by rosy »

It’s on the BBC:
“A serving Met police officer has been arrested on suspicion of murder following the disappearance of Sarah Everard”
Sarah Everard disappearance: Met officer arrested on suspicion of murder https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-56351135
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Marth

Post by Marth »

Thank you
Malan
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

My sister also has a friend who knows her, I just found out. It's awful.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Oh how terrible Beatrix and purple!
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

That's awful, her friends must be devastated.

Caitlin Moran tweeted this, and it's so true:
Being a woman: my "outside" day finishes at sundown. If I haven't taken the dog for a walk/jogged by then, I can't. In the winter, it often means the choice between exercise and work. Today, I had to stop work at 4 to exercise. My husband worked until 6, and is now off for a run
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

That's so absolutely true Liv.
smalex

Post by smalex »

I do run in the dark. Obviously my mother thinks this is terrible. I basically have Actual Dark routes, Quiet (early but light) daytime routes, busy daytime routes and - Just too secluded for any scenario. A ridiculous amount of thought!
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve been wondering why I’ve not got out for a walk on a Friday when I am at a loose end at home. This is why.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I tend to run in the dark to avoid having to deal with men’s appraisals of how I look. It’s all so fucked up, all of it. That poor, poor woman.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

I live less than a 5 min walk from the station and I won't walk back in my own after 8ish. I always go to the station before and get a taxi or the bus, as that stops outside my house. My husband just doesn't get it. It's so unfair.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:42 pm I’ve been wondering why I’ve not got out for a walk on a Friday when I am at a loose end at home. This is why.
There are some glorious countryside and reservoir walks near me but all I ever do is walk up and down the main road because that’s the only place I feel safe walking by myself.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I ran in the dark when I did run, wearing earphones too although I stuck to main roads. I will walk in the dark too, again sticking to main roads. Since J moved in, we mainly go for walks together and it always surprises me how blasé I feel walking through desolate parts of country parks etc with him.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

The poor woman. She probably thought she was doing the right thing, not taking public transport, because of covid.
Marth

Post by Marth »

I will walk and cycle home quite late, but only in well lit and populated places. However I won't go out and walk around a big park, or more rural area alone either very early or later afternoon. Actually at any time of day if it's a bit remote.
I could never get the thought of jogger Margaret Muller out of my mind when walking or running in places like these.

I used to walk to the tube very early sometimes, and in the winter it would be very quiet and dark. I never used to put my headphones in so I could hear what was happening around me.
Malan
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

I found moving to Raynes Park from Central Wimbledon quite a shock in terms of walking home at night. I missed the crowds, Jesus I even missed the leery pissheads on the pavement outside of pubs. :ella: Then I came here. And it got even quieter.

I never ever walk home at night on my own. Always a cab. I do in early-dark winter work time because there's just enough people around. But late at night I feel entirely alone.

Mr R never gets a cab unless it's howling a gale and shitting it down or something*. Even though he was the one who got mugged here coming home late at night. The interesting thing about that, looking back, was that, not having been trained to think like prey since birth, he did what I never would have done. When he realised he was being followed, he turned into a side road. He'd never even heard of the advice to walk in the middle of the road.

*or I pick him up to stop me worrying.
rosy

Post by rosy »

They’ve found a body. I can’t bear to think what her family and friends are going through.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Oh god.