Sarah Everard

ParisGal

Re: Sarah Everard

Post by ParisGal »

They must just see woman / man as an identity on the same level as keen reader or goth or sports fanatic.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Red wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:42 pm
Lily wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:03 am Sisters Uncut included names of trans paedophiles and rapists in their "list of women who have died at the hands of police institutions" (i.e. in jail). Plus a woman who died of cancer while in jail. Something is going very badly wrong here.

I don't understand this at all. Do they genuinely believe rapists are women if they simply say they are or identify as one?
What is their aim/end goal?

Its very depressing when other women are so actively working against us.
Apparently so, and yes I found it terribly depressing.

On the plus side: the male friend about whom I posted on Monday has retracted his statement, apologising, saying he was wrong, and asking questions.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

This seems like a good place to put a link to the petition to get parliament to debate the Policing Bill.

In case you haven't read about it yet, our delightful government are trying to restrict the rights to peaceful protest dramatically, riding the wave of "public opinion" against the blm marches and Everard vigils.

Odds on this will do fuck all good, but at least its an attempt to make opposition heard.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Thanks Del. I’ve been reading about it in further abject horror (along with the recent mass shooting in Atlanta), and wondering why anyone on here hadn’t mentioned it.

I’ll bet fucking Rees-Mogg is behind it.
Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I've always said the most likely reason for me to get arrested is for some sort of protesting, looks like the government are keen to make it happen.

I have avoided coverage of Atlanta because I don't have the capacity to deal with anything else at the moment.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

The petition has now gone over 100,000. Not that the government will do anything about it, but still. I would write to my MP, but I know she's firmly against it as is, so feel the familiar impotent, voiceless rage. Yay!
Luce

Post by Luce »

I feel similar about my MP. Pointless.

At the Sarah Everard thing (memorial?) in town there had been signs put everywhere telling him (the mp) to piss off and that he should be ashamed of himself, Mums against His Name etc - as a result of his craven Tory voting of the protest bill, I think. Anyway, some elderly gentleman tried to take the signs down and the Mum who had put them there got in a stand up fight with him in the middle of the bandstand. So I stood up and joined her, shouted my support then tried to calm it down. I cannot tell you how out of character this is for my town. She was standing there screaming, absolutely lost her cool. She obviously then apologised profusely because we just can't help it right? It feels like a damn has broken.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Same here re my MP and the fact that I can't really add anything or bring any pressure to bear so I feel as though I can't really take much specific positive action via that route. My MP is great and I trust him to vote in line with what my conscience would normally suggest, therefore all the petitions and stuff from Open Britain etc where they ask you to contact your MP to make your views known are fairly pointless for me.
rosy

Post by rosy »

My MP is so far up Johnson’s arse he could clean his teeth from there, so it’s pointless contacting him on anything unless it’s a local photo-op.

I’ve signed the petition but my anger is turning into despair.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I'm really debating whether to write this or not as it probably sounds awful but anyway.

Tonight, and for another two nights a documentary on BBC1 is covering the darkest side of football. I really feel for these poor men who were repeatedly raped as children and young adults. It's absolutely devestating for them and they deserve to have their side of the story heard.

But, in a month where yet another woman has been snatched from the street and murdered. When women have yet again been held accountable for mens violent actions. Where 97% of women have admitted they've had some sort of sexual harrassment where is our documentary?
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I mean, it's children, rather than men as such. And still male violence. But I sort of take your point.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I'm watching it now; to be fair, I don't see it as any different from the recent documentaries about sexual abuse in gymnastics, which focused on girls. It's appalling and these men deserve to be heard.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

They do definitely. I think I maybe just wasn’t in the right frame that night and it hit me wrong.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I've been upset about the epidemic of male violence against women and girls, and it's invisibility all day (all my adult life).
It's horribly upsetting. I hope he fucking rots.
Malan
Sky

Post by Sky »

There isn't a lot that gets to me these days but the details of how she died really upset me and I can't even begin to imagine how terrified she must've been. The statements from her parents and sister were so dignified.
nineseven wrote:What's the point in being slim if you have to stay indoors all the time, leaking from your anus?
http://www.justgiving.com/Pamela-Ward" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I didn’t think it could be any worse, but hearing the details, it really is. It’s absolutely chilling.

I’d have got in that car in. Probably most of us would have.
Sky

Post by Sky »

emma_p wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:24 pm I didn’t think it could be any worse, but hearing the details, it really is. It’s absolutely chilling.

I’d have got in that car in. Probably most of us would have.
I hate to say that I probably would too because of the police badge and that's what the bastard was counting on. The footage caught on the dashcam is horrifying and heartbreaking.
nineseven wrote:What's the point in being slim if you have to stay indoors all the time, leaking from your anus?
http://www.justgiving.com/Pamela-Ward" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
smalex

Post by smalex »

The police badge and the context- it was lockdown. Everything was weird.
So so upsetting.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Sickening. And I wonder if he’s done it before.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Yes, I'm not the greatest conformist, but in that sort of situation, you are wrong footed, taught to trust and obey authority, covid news everywhere about stay home or else.
I think most of us would not have run. Would have been worried, unsure, probably really had a gut feeling that this wasn't right, but wouldn't have had time to do anything else, like Sarah.
I think this, (amongst every other aspect of this ) is what makes this so horrifying.
Last edited by Marth on Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malan