Sarah Everard

purple_dress

Re: Sarah Everard

Post by purple_dress »

They definitely seem to be saying they think he just snatched her off the street, which is so scary.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

You just know there are a couple of people at the Met who aren’t at all surprised by this. I’ve never trusted any of them to keep women safe.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

No, apparently the rate of DV is quite high in the police.
Malan
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

It's horrific. You've never trusted any police officer to keep women safe, Ella?
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

As a group, no.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Given the institutional racism, institutional sexism also would not surprise me. Like all the women discouraged from taking sexual assault cases forward.

Remains does suggest something a lot worse than a body.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

True, but institutions are made up of individuals and there are plenty of "good" ones in there.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:32 am Given the institutional racism, institutional sexism also would not surprise me. Like all the women discouraged from taking sexual assault cases forward.
Yeah, I would agree with this.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I'd say misogyny rather than sexism, but yes.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

lazzbo wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:38 am True, but institutions are made up of individuals and there are plenty of "good" ones in there.
Yes that's very true. #notAllPolicemen. But as an institution they never had the best track record.

Same as there are lots of very good and just alright harmless men out there, but men as a group/class of people do the majority of raping and killing.
Malan
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

Definitely not all police. But as a job I think it does attract a particular type.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:32 am Given the institutional racism, institutional sexism also would not surprise me. Like all the women discouraged from taking sexual assault cases forward.
Yep. There are multiple lists out there of issues identified that I don't think anyone can be confident have been addressed. The officers who took selfies with the young women murdered in Wembley park are still serving, for example.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Ella77 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:30 amAs a group, no.
Absolutely the same. And now, more than ever, if I’m walking alone anywhere and a police car pulls up, now I get to be even more scared than before.

I had a meltdown about all this last night. The notallmen shit is back on Twitter. I went absolutely off on one at T because he seemed a bit bored by my ranting. I try and teach my male children but it’s just pushing them into being fucking misogynists even more. It all feels too big and too unfixable today. Absolutely futile.

I am Sarah, all my friends are Sarah. It’s sickening. That poor, poor woman and her family.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

So, yes ~NotAllPolice but also - continued challenge and questioning of their role and how they fulfil it is a very healthy and good thing to be doing.
Pootle
Topaz Titanium

Post by Pootle »

Bat Macdui wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:03 am So, yes ~NotAllPolice but also - continued challenge and questioning of their role and how they fulfil it is a very healthy and good thing to be doing.
Absolutely this.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Yup. About 25 years ago, I was mugged* while walking home late at night. When I rang the police to report it, I was repeatedly asked why I was walking alone at night.

*and considered myself very lucky that I was 'only' mugged
Pawpads

Post by Pawpads »

Please don't think that it is all Policemen.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Same, Luce. I cross the road avoid them when I see them walking around in pairs here.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Luce wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:02 am It all feels too big and too unfixable today. Absolutely futile.
Absolutely this.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

My tipping point was the people (the men) on Twitter asking why she was out in the evening during a pandemic. Why aren’t they asking why was the MURDERER out COMMITTING MURDER in the evening during a pandemic? (I know why).