Saint Gary of Lineker

Epponnee Rae

Saint Gary of Lineker

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Thoughts anyone? I would LOVE a full boycott of MOTD by all pundits and players until the Beeb backs down.
Turtle Bean

Re: Saint Gary of Lineker

Post by Turtle Bean »

That would be interesting wouldn't it. I mean not saying anything political is kind of a requirement of his job isn't it so he must have known what would happen. It's a ridiculous rule though, as long he is not speaking on behalf of the BBC and he is not exactly a journalist is he? Anyway he is not a saint but I do believe he means well. And I'm glad Ian Wright, who I adore, has spoken out in his support.
Epponnee Rae

Post by Epponnee Rae »

That’s really it though isn’t it? He is allowed opinions and the freedom to express them. A contract with the Beeb isn’t a deal with the devil where every waking moment is being weighed against the debt of your soul. Well, I don’t think it is. Policing employees private accounts isn’t their business. Though these days, it’s quite grey.

That’s why they got rid of my fave DJ on 6 Music. Though he was never explicit he was increasingly antigovernment on air - which at least GL hasn’t been.

The fact that the Beeb are clamping down because criticisms the government isn’t impartial is ridiculous. Because toeing the govt spin line is absolutely impartial :ella:
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I've been reading that this policy doesn't seem to be applied consistently across the beeb.

Many workplaces have a clause saying that you shouldn't bring your workplace into disrepute (or be a member of a prescribed group) (my workplace has these, we also have to declare certain types of debt actions that might have been taken, in case we can be bribed, blackmailed)

However it seems in this case it's one rule for one, and I imagine the govt applied tons of pressure on the beeb as the inhumane hostile environment is one of their flagship policies .
Malan
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

The BBC (and the government) has really shot itself in the foot with this one. Looks like all the main presenters and pundits have pulled out in support of Lineker. I'm glad he hasn't backed down.
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

As they said on Twitter, the Beeb was fine with him slagging off Qatar's government. And he surely wouldn't have been stepped down if he said that he thought Suella Braverman's policy was the best thing since sliced bread.

Andrew Neil wrote for the Spectator whilst working at the Beeb and that was fine. It's complete double standards because all the recent appointments to the BBC are politically motivated and here's the result. It's awful.

But I loved Wrighty's response. :hbeat:
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I really enjoyed the Alistair Campbell interview. Made me laugh a lot.
https://mobile.twitter.com/chrishainsto ... shainstock
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Marth wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 7:20 am I've been reading that this policy doesn't seem to be applied consistently across the beeb.

Many workplaces have a clause saying that you shouldn't bring your workplace into disrepute (or be a member of a prescribed group) (my workplace has these, we also have to declare certain types of debt actions that might have been taken, in case we can be bribed, blackmailed)

However it seems in this case it's one rule for one, and I imagine the govt applied tons of pressure on the beeb as the inhumane hostile environment is one of their flagship policies .
Yes, they had no issue with Alan Sugar's political rants. Funnily enough.

This government is truly appalling, not only did they come up with the awful policy, they are so incredibly thin skinned about it.

Alastair Campbell was hilarious, imagine trying to take HIM on in relation to media strategy!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Gary is spot on. He didn't use the word Nazi, he was careful to just say 1930s Germany and he's right. The language is scarily similar. A Holocaust survivor told Braverman this and was told she was wrong which says it all. Good for him and for Ian Wright to support him.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I love Alastair Campbell.

They’ve properly messed this up. To any football fan, it’s very clear GL only speaks for himself; he works for other broadcasters too. He only needs to be reasonably impartial about football while broadcasting.

The BBC is obsessed with itself, it always leads with stories about itself. It also needs a good think about whether it is independence that matters over “impartiality”.

This weird need for balance in all news stories is what gave Nigel Farage a platform.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

The Beeb are really excelling themselves this week, with the Attenborough documentary thing as well. It's fucking dreadful.
Tabitha

Post by Tabitha »

I’m sure it’s completely coincidental that the director general of the BBC is an ex Tory politician, right?

Good on Gary I say, and the others who refused to fill in for him.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I didn’t realise that about Tim Davie as well, fucking hell.
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

All the commentators have stepped down too. Good on them.
rosy

Post by rosy »

I’m so impressed with the other commentators, who are generally less well paid and have more to lose financially by taking a stand.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

And the Football Focus lot now too.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
rosy

Post by rosy »

And now it’s spreading to clubs too; Bristol Rovers have tweeted that they won’t be talking to the BBC before or after their match today and tweeted #WeStandWithGary.
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Wiggle

Post by Wiggle »

I don't like Gary Lineker, football or MOTD, but today I certainly have a lot more respect for him and his colleagues.
mischief

Post by mischief »

But it's OK to trivialise domestic violence
https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/ ... se-4060233
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Rebel Pebble wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:01 am The Beeb are really excelling themselves this week, with the Attenborough documentary thing as well. It's fucking dreadful.
That sounded like a made-up story to me - their explanation (and they absolutely refute the rumour) was much more plausible.

From what I saw of the Stanley Johnson thing, Fiona Bruce was quoting his 'friends'. If your own friends say you did it "as a one off" it's pretty obvious you did it and it says a lot about your friends, too. Although I do agree that she could have done it with a bit of a raised eyebrow rather than just reporting facts as if "to give the other side of the story".
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored