What's in a name?

Skips

Re: What's in a name?

Post by Skips »

I'm currently dating John and my first husband was a Jon. So, technically they are different they sound the same. Nobody has said anything (or cares)
rosy

Post by rosy »

Ella77 wrote:No word of a lie, my brother in law has a colleague in Hong Kong called Clitor.ia. So what Santa said!

I disliked my ex's name but got used to it.
Can't. Breathe. :mog:
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Lily wrote:
Santa Claude wrote:
Lily wrote: I was in love with an incredibly fit bloke called Kevin but part of finding out he'd got married to someone else was relief that I wouldn't be marrying a Kevin.
This is T's brother's name. You couldn't make it up. The chinese have the most AWFUL taste in English names. Categorically. Across the board :)) Fair enough, really.
Oh God! Foot in mouth! :lol: Sorry!

I also know two brothers called T and K. They are not Chinese though so they don't have that excuse. The Chinese have so many nice names to choose from, why go for ones like that?!
Oh christ no, I didn't choose it! :lol:

My sister has had three (3) fiancees and two of them had the same name. She married the third :))
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I didn't know Will wasn't called Will and I've met him :lol:. (I'm assuming I knew at some point and didn't call him by the cat's not-name.)

I've said before that P has the male version of his mum's name, which she swears she didn't realise for several weeks, and on his dad's side he has a brother, sister and nephew (child of said sister) with different versions of the same name. There are many nice names in the world, people! (That said, all my children are named after family members; the boys with their middle names and Bert's first name.)
Livilla

Post by Livilla »

smalex wrote:My friend called her daughter her sister's name. But not after her sister. Just chose the same name. I didn't really get it.
One of my good friends, C, named her oldest son the same name as her Dad, and her youngest son the same name as one of her brothers. Her sister named her daughter C (i.e. the same name as her aunt) and one of her sons after their other brother. They are like a Tudor family where they only use 4 names or so . :lol:

I have dated a Warren, Amos and Gerrard in my time, all of which are fairly grim names. I have gone out with two different Simons, too. This shows you both the dangers of people being both imaginative and unimaginative in naming boys. :))
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

I had two serious boyfriends called Calum and then Callum within a few years of each other and it was never a problem - I just started calling the first one Original Calum if I had cause to speak about him, which I almost never did. After I split up with Second Callum, that became his name. He knew there'd been one before him but it was a total non-issue, I remember telling him on the way to a party in case someone mentioned it and he looked at me as if I was mad.

I've mentioned before that one of my friends has the same name as his boyfriend, and neither of them abbreviate it or use a nickname so conversations that include both of them involve having to full name them throughout or it gets very confusing.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Amos! :mog: I missed that. I remembering being absolutely gutted once when an internet date turned out to be a C.olin. Apologies to all the C.olins out there. His surname was a girl's name so I couldn't call him that either, and then one day he told me his childhood nickname (along with many Colins no doubt) was 'co.lly.wo.bbles" and I think I ended things not long after :adult:

I had a decade long crush on a C.olin throughout my tweens and teens so I apologise again and I am sure it was me and not him/his name.
Lola

Post by Lola »

Clitor.ia :mog:

I met my ex in a nightclub & I thought he said his name was Wayne & I thought there's no way I can go out with a Wayne. Luckily when he wrote his number down for me he also wrote his name, which turned out not to be Wayne. (It was Lee which isn't much better really).
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I've mentioned this before but locally a few years ago a family were involved in a car accident.

The local paper reported their names and ages and the parents had called their children after themselves. Can you imagine shouting on someone in that house?

It was reported as:

David 42
Anne 41
David 11
Anne 8

It reeks of either a high level of narcissism or a complete lack of imagination. I'm going with the lack of imagination angle. :))
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I met a perfectly nice guy called Phil but I could not return his call because of it. It's also my dad's name and while I generally go by Pip, loads of people do still call me Philippa. I just couldn't do it.

Otherwise I think I'd be fine with a boyfriend having the same name as an ex. My first ever boyfriend was called Wayne and he was (and still is) a lovely looking boy with a great personality.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Duophonic wrote:I have!

Mini's father and my Mr D are both called S.

Mini loves to annoy her dad by calling him S1 and Mr D S2
My friend likes the same name - both her children have a dad called S, but different blokes.

I married a man with the same name as an ex.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I had two exes with the same name and I can't say I'd really noticed or thought about it until now. I think it would be weirder if they were immediately consecutive otherwise it's not an issue really.

Similarly Mr S has a silly name and I don't mind. It would be a bit naff if I was with someone with the male version of my name but I'm the sort of person who would probably find it funny :mrgreen:.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

S has had two previous girlfriends with the same name as me! It's not *that* common.

My first boyfriend was called Colin, which is a terrible name. My significant ex was called Dominic, which is awful too.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Skips wrote:I'm currently dating John and my first husband was a Jon. So, technically they are different they sound the same. Nobody has said anything (or cares)
This is my situation - or would be if I went anywhere near the very handsome man - in reverse!

Lora, I can't believe you thought Will was Will :lol: I do hope I introduced the poor sod to you properly.

Colly.wobbles has killed me. KILLED me. :mog: i am trying to think what his surname could be now ... Colin Mavis? Colin Jane?
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

I don't mind Dominic at all.

My friend's husband is called Donald :no:.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

It is such a naff name (to me).
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I can't get past a bad name. I once tried to date a Malcolm and it was harrowing.

I can happily deal with duplicates though - there have been at least six Robs in my life. :humble:
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

Malcom is bad :lol:
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

I think I must have looked mortified whenever I had to say his name as people just openly laughed. If I'd said it like it was completely normal and fine it may have been less obviously hilarious to everyone.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I could handle a Dominic, but not a Malcolm. It's not on a par with a Wayne, but he would be in his late 50s and wear faded brown cords.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored