What's in a name?

Lily
Picker-Lily

What's in a name?

Post by Lily »

Has anyone gone out with someone who had the same name as a previous partner?

I have a slight crush on a ridiculously handsome man but I couldn't go out with him because (amongst other reasons) he has the same name as my ex Will (Will wasn't his real name). It would be too odd talking about him because everyone would be asking "Which Will?" if I spoke about him.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
smalex

Re: What's in a name?

Post by smalex »

Will wasn't Will's name?! This has blown my mind. I think your ex Will was a while ago so people would quickly forget about him and presume you were discussing New Will.

No, I haven't. I've always dreaded fancying someone called Alex. It's never happened, though.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Oh! I didn't know it wasn't his actual name!

But no, I haven't although it wouldn't bother me, especially as Will was so long ago. Might be a bit weird if it was a few years ago but it still wouldn't stop me.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

No :)) I called him that because we used to call our cat Will (this wasn't the cat's real name either). Anyway I don't know if I could handle calling New Will Old Will's name (not for emotional reasons, just because of weirdness) so I would have to call him something else and people get funny about that.

Yes, I couldn't go out with someone with the same name. Couples such as Nick and Nicky, etc. And that's just the straight couples - imagine being a bloke called Steve fancying someone else called Steve. Horrendous.

Luce

Post by Luce »

You can totally get over a name if you like someone a never. I was devastated at T's name. But the being in-love part did help a bit.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

:mog: Poor T!

I once snogged a guy called Wayne, but I didn't find out that was his name until afterwards. I must have looked horrified because he said "It's not my fault!"

I was in love with an incredibly fit bloke called Kevin but part of finding out he'd got married to someone else was relief that I wouldn't be marrying a Kevin.

Glint

Post by Glint »

Another in the Will wasn't actually Will shock camp.

Mr G is one letter away from an ex's name, it was a bit odd at first, however it didn't stop things but Santa is right, being in love makes you blind for some things.
smalex

Post by smalex »

You forget about names in general after I while, I think. I know a woman called F. anny and it honestly takes me by surprise when people snigger if you mention her, and it reminds me that its a crap name to be saddled with.
Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

B has a dreadful name, but I get round it by rarely saying it and just using nicknames instead :))

I will never understand why my friend called her son Joe when she has a Jo for a sister. Oddness!
Luce

Post by Luce »

Lily wrote: I was in love with an incredibly fit bloke called Kevin but part of finding out he'd got married to someone else was relief that I wouldn't be marrying a Kevin.
This is T's brother's name. You couldn't make it up. The chinese have the most AWFUL taste in English names. Categorically. Across the board :)) Fair enough, really.
smalex

Post by smalex »

My friend called her daughter her sister's name. But not after her sister. Just chose the same name. I didn't really get it.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Santa Claude wrote:
Lily wrote: I was in love with an incredibly fit bloke called Kevin but part of finding out he'd got married to someone else was relief that I wouldn't be marrying a Kevin.
This is T's brother's name. You couldn't make it up. The chinese have the most AWFUL taste in English names. Categorically. Across the board :)) Fair enough, really.
Oh God! Foot in mouth! :lol: Sorry!

I also know two brothers called T and K. They are not Chinese though so they don't have that excuse. The Chinese have so many nice names to choose from, why go for ones like that?!
Last edited by Lily on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Derek Nimmo

Post by Derek Nimmo »

So her daughter will be Little Sister's-Name, and the sister will be Big Sister's-Name forevermore. Nice.
rosy

Post by rosy »

Honestly, it won't matter if he's a good guy. You'll know which you are talking about, and you can always give him a nickname!

My mother was called Judith, as was my stepmother - they used different short forms of their names so it was never a problem that my dad married two women with the same name.

(I did know Will wasn't a Will).
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Arrietty

Post by Arrietty »

MrA and I have basically got the same name, one of which was mentioned above. (Not Kevin :mad: )

And I went out with someone with the same name as my brother for three years.

My best friend and SIL have the same name, so I always have to clarify.

Anyway, I don't think it pays to get too hung up on these things!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

No word of a lie, my brother in law has a colleague in Hong Kong called Clitor.ia. So what Santa said!

I disliked my ex's name but got used to it.
Arrietty

Post by Arrietty »

Oh yes, my mother and MIL have the same name too. :lol:
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Oof, I don't know if I'd like someone having the same name as me but not being named after me. (I mean a family member; I appreciate I have no say over what other Lilys in the world are called.)

I remember a thread about calling a pet the same name as a pet you had years ago though and to me this kind of comes down to the same thing; my first gerbil was called Jeeves, which is an ace name for a pet, and I'd love it for a dog or a cat but calling another animal Jeeves feels so disrespectful to the first Jeeves.

Intriguingly, Very Handsome Man's first name is NOT Will - he has just sent me some details (for work purposes) and it turns out to be (a) my grandfather's middle name and (b) the name of one of my sons if I ever have one as my son would be named after my friend who died. He's one of those people who doesn't call himself by his real name! :disco:

Clit.oria wins the thread. :mog:

Arrietty

Post by Arrietty »

We're all basically called Steve! :humble:
Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

I have!

Mini's father and my Mr D are both called S.

Mini loves to annoy her dad by calling him S1 and Mr D S2
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing