Buns in the oven

Loralei

Re: Buns in the oven

Post by Loralei »

I pay attention and knew that Ken was undecided, but felt she and P should make a decision sooner rather than later. :teacher: It is funny the things people decide about you (one) though. Digs said to me the other week, "You always really wanted children, didn't you?" But I didn't think about it much before I met P, other than knowing I didn't want children with my ex. (Digs doesn't count as rude though; she knows me well enough to say such things. :)) )

I am very pleased to hear they are going to scan you. Chances are it will be fine but at least you'll know and can breathe a bit easier.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I would have thought the same Lora, that you always wanted them and it was a strong desire. I mean that in a good way :))

I have been surprised by a couple of people (IRL not here) when they have announced a pregnancy but I have always kept it to myself, and I think covered any surprise!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Yes, I find having the check reassuring and had looked into private scans in case they hadn't wanted to.

I count you guys the same as friends I've discussed it with as I've had lots of conversations about the things that put me off on here so I'd not be offended if anyone here was surprised /shocked. ;) I think it's more when it's acquaintance when it's not like I'm a teenager or something. Turns out that I was correct that pregnancy is totally shit though. :lg: Let's hope I'm less right about the baby part. :lol:

I have cancelled the holiday. I am a bit gutted as I feel like I've said goodbye to things I've enjoyed in a pre-child life more quickly than I wanted to /planned but I can't really complain as we have had quite a few years pleasing ourselves and it's obviously a true first world problem.
Last edited by Kenickie on Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Scooter wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:42 pm When I was pregnant I had someone at work argue with my that G/B twins could be identical. I :ella: ‘d til my eyes rolled out oft head.
I swear to god I read an article about G/B twins being identical the other day.
smalex

Post by smalex »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-47371431

OK, semi-identical. And only found twice, ever.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

sally maclennane wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:35 pm I would have thought the same Lora, that you always wanted them and it was a strong desire. I mean that in a good way :))
Well I think it's fair to say that once I made the decision I threw myself into it 100%. :lol:

I'm sorry about your holiday, Ken. I hope you find an alternative that cheers you up.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Loralei wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:45 pm
sally maclennane wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:35 pm I would have thought the same Lora, that you always wanted them and it was a strong desire. I mean that in a good way :))
Well I think it's fair to say that once I made the decision I threw myself into it 100%. :lol:

I'm sorry about your holiday, Ken. I hope you find an alternative that cheers you up.
Go big, or go home :))

I'm sorry about the holiday, Ken. Even when you feel it's the right thing to do, it's such a let down. I hope you find an alternative.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Lora! :lol:

Thanks. I think I'm just going to hope that I'm eating normally by then and go out for some nice meals as I think anywhere in the UK I'll just be moany that it's not hot and spa stuff is out because of the hot tub /sauna etc restrictions.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I am sorry about the holiday but it sounds like the right thing to do to minimise stress for you, and you never know how hot it will be in the summer in th UK. We had about 4 days of it going above 17 degrees last year! :disco:
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

The best reaction I heard for us was when my brother found out how long we’d been trying and that we’d been referred for IVF, apparently he blurted, “Oh that’s great news!” :lol: He hadn’t been sure we wanted kids at all so he was just excited to know we did :))

Sorry about the holiday, Ken. Hopefully it takes the pressure off at least, having made the decision.

I had the anti-D yesterday at my 28 week appointment and it was definitely painful, but I’d happily take it over whooping cough given the choice. Once it was over it was fine, whereas WC was swollen and painful for so long afterwards.

I also had a different midwife and she was LOVELY. It sort of showed mine up - she was just so much more experienced and (tactfully) corrected a few mistakes that had been made that she spotted straight away.

Also, I guess this is standard but after she did the fundal height, she told me she was going to check the baby’s position and she could tell me where she was and the shape she was lying in :love2: I probably sound like an idiot but it amazed me she could do that from the outside, and it totally checks out with the movements I’ve been feeling. She is basically transverse (with her wee bum sticking out :lol: ) but she didn’t seem concerned. I was able to choose to see her again so I did, it was all just a really nice experience.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

I'm sorry about your holiday, Ken. Hopefully we will get another hot one in the UK this year.

I'm glad you found the anti-d OK, Leap. I nearly passed out with mine! I had to sit on the floor as I felt really faint! I think my MW was just rubbish though, as the one after giving birth I barely felt. I'm still dreading it though!

That's good you've been able to book the same mw again. I think it makes such a difference when you get someone good.

I've been unsure since about 11 weeks If I've felt movements. It's those gas bubble type feelings that I remember from first time, but I don't know if it's actually just gas bubbles! :lol:
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Rhodonite wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:15 pm the one after giving birth I barely felt.
Could the new pain threshold comparison available that time be related? :uhh: :lol: I wonder though about technique now you’ve said that, that sounds really awful. She prepared me for it to be painful and then kept me talking and distracted while she did it so that definitely helped - it was more like a bikini wax in that way than a normal injection :)) I got used to being a pin cushion from the start though so maybe a combination of both.

Whether I was right or not, I think it was feeling the popping feeling so close to the surface that convinced me, as I’d never felt anything like that there before. It must be confusing when you have both memories! Lovely to be feeling it already :love2: Most of the second time mums in my groups got it (or recognised it) much earlier on too.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Movement. :love:

Sorry about the painful injections. I had no idea about the WC one being bad, but maybe that's why my midwife said 'and you HAVE to have whooping cough' with an evil glint. :lol: I'm really pleased that you have found a lovely midwife, Leap, it definitely makes a huge difference to have someone you feel comfortable with and have faith in.

Your brother, Leap! :lol:

I have had the weird bubble thing, Rhod. And also recently a feeling like something is poking from the inside. :eek:

I think I've just about got to the point where my belly is a big as my boobs now so I feel a bit self conscious going back into work. :lol:
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

The new pain threshold is a good point, Leap! The last mw did definitely have difficulty with it though. She said I had tough skin (so I immediately thought, "great I have a rhino skin ass!"). Then had to have more blood taken, then sit on the floor!

I don't remember the whooping cough one hurting, but maybe it did...

Poking! :love: It's going to be all sorts of acrobatics going on in the with twins!

Fab bump! Definitely more noticeable now! And I LOVE that jumper. I'm so glad not to have to worry about trying to hide my bump now. Gives me much more clothes options!!

ETA: Just checked my app again and the results from the scan / blood are there now. Lower chance.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Oh, good news Rhod! I seem to be fully behind both of you technology-wise - no app and I don't even get notes away with me. Apparently it's about being paperless but it's weird on the whatsapp group when everyone is comparing measurements and blood draw results etc from their hand held notes and I have nothing to go on besides what I was told at the time.

I also love your jumper and bump, Ken :)) Are you comfortable enough with it if people who don't know begin to notice? Two of my former managers (one who had twins) deployed long scarves for the duration of their pregnancies as I think they preferred to discourage comments/scrutiny. They're both as slim as you which is probably no coincidence.

Also, the whooping cough jag was fine going in for me*, it was the injection site which got sensitive/painful for about a week after it so if they ask you, I would get it in your non-dominant arm if it might bother you.

*Possibly helped by the distraction of the nurse doing a funny little step/twirl on her approach, which I realised afterwards was her method of hiding the needle from me. :lol:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Brilliant news, Rhod!

Your nurse's step twirl jab sounds impressive, Leap! I googled clothes to conceal a pregnancy a while back and someone suggested scarves, and then someone else posted that people kept doing this in her department so she started being able to suss people as soon as they wore one. :lol:

I think this thread needs more bump pictures!
Last edited by Kenickie on Wed May 01, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Last edited by Kenickie on Wed May 01, 2019 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

That's a shame you don't even get a book, Leap. I took photos of all of the pages from my last one, after I gave birth, as they take it away afterwards! I still refer back to them now.

I find it easier when the gossips talk too. I absolutely hate making any sort of announcements! In fact I got J to tell his preschool. Then the manager took me aside at pick up last week, as she thought he was telling people when he shouldn't have been!

I'll try to remember to take a bump photo tonight. I have a baggy t-shirt on at the moment.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Last edited by Kenickie on Wed May 01, 2019 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

:lol: Poor J nearly getting into trouble! Outsourcing it to him is a good idea though.