Homeschooling Help

Edith Bacon

Re: Homeschooling Help

Post by Edith Bacon »

smalex wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:09 pm She said they were due to do a block of Sex Ed in term 6 so they were going to send out resources if we wanted to tackle that. Gosh, yes, like a hole in head :mog:
Pretty sure Ruby’s your woman for that; she’s got a whole lesson plan for it :))
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

School asked for pupils to send in a short exercise video, and the best will be sent out for the rest of the school to follow. The girls have spent all afternoon choreographing, selecting music, practising and (making me do the) recording. There’s even a relaxation section at the end. :lol:
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

A had an inset day so he’s been on zoom a lot. L had to do a themed day about Holy Week rather than individual lessons. He’s made a tomb in an old heroes tub :mog: and HCBs are currently proving.
Little My

Post by Little My »

R's class had an end of year puberty unit planned too! I expect she knows all about it already anyway.

We have Google classrooms set up, and are expecting some actual coursework and online interaction next week. So that will be interesting. R had an oral presentation assigned which she now has to video and submit. And a clarinet piece to record. Strange times.

I did some literacy stuff with B this morning, then handed over to Dav Pilkey for the rest of the morning. :lol:
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

The sex Ed classes are making me laugh.

If anyone has me on fb, the children have all decorated a boiled egg each. They want people to vote for the winner. The prize is an Easter egg.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Our local Lego people are releasing weekly story building challenges. They usually run them as holiday clubs but obviously can’t. It’s a story told via video with building challenges set throughout so you need to pause the story after each challenge is set. It’s good for Master Builders and not Lord Business because there are no instructions. :))

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJjI-RqPLYR3YEG6TIi6d9A
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

J was horrified at the 30 day lego challenge because there were no instructions :lol: I think I'm going to have a go at stop motion with him as I think he'll be into that.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

purple_dress wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:41 am J was horrified at the 30 day lego challenge because there were no instructions :lol: I think I'm going to have a go at stop motion with him as I think he'll be into that.
No instructions! :)) Mine loves going his own way and has built his own Black Pearl.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

That's amazing!!

My youngest loves to build creatively but J loves to follow detailed instructions.
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

Wow, the Black Pearl is brilliant!
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Wow!
smalex

Post by smalex »

Oh wow, that's amazing! W doesn't mind going free range but nothing pans out quite that well!

The link looks great, I'm definitely pulling that out later this week.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I'm back.

Fucking hell.

Homework and a new fucking phone whilst trying to get my own job done really is not the mix. 2 hours into tantrums now and not a single fucking thing done.
Last edited by Topcat on Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

Urgh, TC. :sad:

F is in year one and the school have sent around a new school website for each year with daily lessons / curriculum to complete. ‘Make sure your geography lesson (clouds) is complete by Wednesday as the English lesson ties in with it’. :woteva: Definitely seems less optional but in a way that is good as we have been muddling through with the odd work sheet and PE lesson. :lol:

It is very time consuming though. We will need to rejig our weekday schedule to try and fit it in.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

A’s school are now up to speed and have sent out class dojo logins with daily tasks to do and upload. There’s no way it will take up much of the day but we’re still catching up with a few things from before the holidays. With that, watching a bit of bbc bite size and some reading I think we’ll have enough.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

The bbc bitesize stuff online is great. George’s school-set work took him 15 minutes. But the BBC stuff set for today filled the rest of the morning.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

We've got bloody tonnes of work to do - by the time I go through it with them it takes up pretty much all of the day, plus all of E's stuff needs my undivided attention. And I am genuinely despairing of C at times (he even spelt 'spelling' wrong when he was doing his spellings today).

I'm probably grumpier about it than I should be though as I thought today was an inset day, but it turns out not to be, so I was mentally unprepared for this shit this morning.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I went crazy at mine today as Elf was sitting by my ear making squelching noises, Betty was Mum! Mum! mum! mum! MUM! at me despite me telling her I’d help her once I was done with Elf and to move onto something else and Cube was trying to do the bare minimum “buuuuuut J only does 1 hour of work a day. Why do I have to do all of this?”

I had a massive fit, screamed and shouted and they agreed they were being awful so we started again.

Cube has done maths, SPaG, history and made an information booklet on Ramadan.

Betty has done maths, history, geography and comprehension.

Elf has made a lamp for Eid, made Pandora’s box and done some Maths.

I’ve kicked them out for playtime and then they’re reading until 3 then housework and the big two are making dinner.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I know that despair well, Flora. Simple basic arithmetic seems beyond her sometimes and it drives me up the wall.

There was a shit load of stuff to get done here today but I've sacked it all off absolutely such bbc bitesize on. I can at least get on with some actual work then.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I think that sounds the best plan TC! There’s no point you both getting worked up!

Do you think she’d work better on an evening? A few of my friends have had similar problems so let their kids have the day to themselves and work from 3pm.