Secondary Considerations

Kleio

Re: Secondary Considerations

Post by Kleio »

Ruby wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:09 am
Kleio wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:10 pm What do pre-teens/y7 need? Are branded stuff wanted? Would he be bullied for a fortnite pencil case etc? I’d love to let him loose in Smiggle but I’m guessing that’s too young for secondary.
I would say they don't need branded and probably not a Fortnite or Smiggle pencil case. :mrgreen: The SAM always has a novelty pencil case - once he had a banana and once an avocado. I think he has a shark this year? It doesn't seem to get him bullied but he is 100% geek anyway. Nobs has a galaxy print one.

I would get him a maths set, pens (BIC colour change are always popular), pencils, highlighters, ruler, glue stick, rubber & sharpener. They both had to have a specific scientific calculator that the school told us about.

I can't tell you how helpful it is when kids have their own red/green biros, highlighters and glue.

ETA : oh and Nobs has his own pencil crayons with the names of the colours on because he's colour-blind. :mog:
By branded I meant games :))

Your list pretty much matches the same as the one sent by the school apart from the highlighters. I’ll definitely add some of those :hbeat:

He would love a shark pencil case!

I’ve also ordered him a spell checker and he has a C-pen on the way for his dyslexia.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Kleio wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:37 am He would love a shark pencil case!
It was this one;
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Multi-Function ... ci&sr=8-25
Glint wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:12 am
Ruby wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:09 am
ETA : oh and Nobs has his own pencil crayons with the names of the colours on because he's colour-blind. :mog:
Oh! Could you please tell me about these as I am too lazy to get into a google loop? I am always asked is it this colour?
Crayola ones! Not any fancy type, as they might not have the names on, just these big standard ones;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crayola-24-Col ... ray&sr=8-3
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I will say that I totally indulge the chaps and buy them pretty much all the stationery in the shop. Partly because I love stationery but also I really have a *thing* about how so many boys come to school without the right equipment. Obviously it's annoying as a teacher but it also makes me sad about 'Boys And School' for reasons I can't quite articulate.
Glint

Post by Glint »

Thanks Ruby!
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

That pencil case is excellent.

I need to check what Joe needs. He's very excited about a scientific calculator, the tiny nerd.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I’ve pretty much just indulged Cube too. He bought half of WH Smith’s and has cemented himself as a stationery fan.
Luce

Post by Luce »

You're very kind. This is going to absolutely bankrupt me between the uniform, the stationery, the fucking multiple versions of PE kit :cry:

I bought him his (new) school hoodie today and I predict it won't be coming off all summer.

He's so massive these days, lockdown doesn't appear to have stunted his growth at all, bless him. My baby, etc :cry:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

He’s huge Luce!

You’ve reminded me I need to take a picture in his leavers hoodie.
Luce wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:33 pm You're very kind. This is going to absolutely bankrupt me between the uniform, the stationery, the fucking multiple versions of PE kit :cry:
P.E kit here is nearly £200! Thankfully, I’ve spoken with people already there and we only need about a third of it. School uniform, a third of the PE kit and shoes are still going to come to about £250 though. :faint:

I’m glad I convinced the exlaws to get him the c-pen, calculator and spell checker.
Rosa

Post by Rosa »

He looks very proud. Such a good looking boy!
Luce

Post by Luce »

He's probably not too far off 5ft now, we all think it hilarious that he'll be bigger than his dad in a few short years. I mean, T finds that less funny than us :)) F went out on his bike with his mates earlier and they all had their (too big) hoodies on, thinking they were all big and cool :love:

I've deliberately not priced things up, it doesn't bear thinking about.

I really wish it was a nicer, more exciting rite of passage for them all than it is at the moment.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

He looks so grown up, Luce. :love2:
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Look at F! :love:

J is now just over 5ft, according to our highly accurate Grandma Scale. I think both he and Berty are going to be tall, even though P and I are distinctly average.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

Its such a a shame that they've missed out on the end of year 6 stuff. I hope their first experience of secondary school is as normal as possible.

H is 5ft 5 now! She's almost caught me up.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Ismee wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:37 pm H is 5ft 5 now! She's almost caught me up.
Wow! She’s taller than me. :))

My children will be incredibly unfortunate to not grow taller than me.
Luce

Post by Luce »

We use the grandma scale too! :lol: Although for T's mum so we've not managed in a while! I'm only 5'7 and T is shorter than me so I assumed my children will be small-average height. My Dad's brothers were all tall and so was my Nan (she was also taller than my grandad :love: ) so I wonder if a tall gene has snuck in there. I do love this stage though where all the girls tower over the boys, I remember that very fondly.

Oh, and we have the same size feet now, too so I nick his Nike 270s a lot. You know, for 'clout'.
Luce

Post by Luce »

olive wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:55 pm
Ismee wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:37 pm H is 5ft 5 now! She's almost caught me up.
Wow! She’s taller than me. :))

My children will be incredibly unfortunate to not grow taller than me.
They'll be alright, feminism will take over one day and make it ok to not be tall if you're a bloke. T always says he'd be unstoppable if he was a normal height :))
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Luce wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:15 pm We use the grandma scale too! :lol: Although for T's mum so we've not managed in a while! I'm only 5'7 and T is shorter than me so I assumed my children will be small-average height. My Dad's brothers were all tall and so was my Nan (she was also taller than my grandad :love: ) so I wonder if a tall gene has snuck in there. I do love this stage though where all the girls tower over the boys, I remember that very fondly.
P and I are 5'10" and 5'6" respectively, but P's brothers are 6'6"+! No idea how, as their mum is a shortarse too, but maybe there is a hokey-cokey tall gene in his bloodline :))
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

L is taller than me now and mentions it at every possible opportunity.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I think the SAM is probably about 5'4" now. There's a very wide variation for boys his age. :)) He is not the shortest any more. Unfortunately for him, he already has a deep voice and hairy legs and massive feet so I expect he doesn't have a huge amount of growing left and is never going to be very tall. I think he will be lucky to get to 5'8" to be honest
Disco

Post by Disco »

Monk is about 5'9", I think. Perhaps just under but I don't think he'll grow much more if at all.