Aural Hygiene

Zoomer

Aural Hygiene

Post by Zoomer »

DO NOT READ IF EATING LUNCH

Do you do something specific to clean out your hatchlings ears? If so, what please?

I refused to let J take an earbud to A's ears. (He still does his own, despite my warnings, but that's his own lookout.)

A had a checkup at school recently, and we were told to get her ears tested, so J and herself went off this morning. Apparently, there was a massive build-up of wax in there. They only managed to do one ear because A was flailing around in a terrified fashion so have to go back to do the second one later. :ella:

I obviously don't produce much wax as I've never done anything to clean them particularly and I'm fairly sure I don't have a build-up in there as my hearing is quite sensitive. It appears A is different and that we should be doing something :look: to prevent this happening in future.
purple_dress

Re: Aural Hygiene

Post by purple_dress »

Not really, no. J in the past has had a build up. He also suffered from ear infections though. We used drops as advised by the Dr. Olive oil ones did nothing. The sodium bicarb ones worked pretty fast but then he got an infection of the skin of the ear canal and had to have antibiotic drops. That happened twice when we used the sodium bicarb drops. The third time was fine.

S has very waxy ears too but the Dr said to leave it unless it was causing problems. He has said recently that they feel blocked though so we might need to get them checked again.

They don't syringe kids' ears here and a cotton bud is very much not advised these days.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Thanks both. Drops do not really seem like the way forward then: ineffective, causing infections, or awful. Hum. :))

I've just been reading the goverment medical advice pages about this subject and it just says to wash then under the shower in future. That seems a bit lackadaisical, but ok.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

You are supposed to just let water wash in & out of the ear in the shower.

Warmed olive oil is good for helping to soften the wax.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

There’s an amazing YouTube channel of a Leicester doctor who removes stubborn earwax. I’ve lost minutes to it before now.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

:ttth: No, thank you, Pip. :))
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

Pippedydeadeye wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:25 pm There’s an amazing YouTube channel of a Leicester doctor who removes stubborn earwax. I’ve lost minutes to it before now.
Oh my god, that’s amazing! Thank you Pip, I fully love that kind of thing :love:
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

I don't know anything about kid-specific ear stuff, but it definitely varies massively between people (and races, as I understand it). I rub a shampoo-y finger inside my ears every time I wash my hair (twice a week), then use earbuds ( :mute: ) afterwards. I get sticky wax that's easily removed through this routine and never have or have had any issues. OTOH my dad gets totally blocked ears, has to get them syringed, and using earbuds impacts it and makes it worse. I think possibly the level of hairy-ness plays a role too :lol:
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

My mum suffers from wax buildup and apparently has very narrow ear'oles, which is why. I don't think I've inherited it, though occasionally I feel a slight ear itch at which point I know it's worth wafting a cotton bud around. I'm careful just to try and clean against the sides rather then pushing the cotton bud deeply, that is usually all I need to do.

I've also tried those corkscrew-y silicone things but they don't seem to work for me. Mind you I did buy cheap knock-off Chinese versions off eBay...
Last edited by H1ppychick on Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
H1ppychick

Post by H1ppychick »

Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Froozy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:52 pm
Pippedydeadeye wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:25 pm There’s an amazing YouTube channel of a Leicester doctor who removes stubborn earwax. I’ve lost minutes to it before now.
Oh my god, that’s amazing! Thank you Pip, I fully love that kind of thing :love:
This is the guy. https://youtube.com/c/MrNeelRaithathaakaTheWaxWhisperer
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

H1ppychick wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:29 pm This kind of thing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Earwax-Removal ... ljaz10cnVl
GIFT IDEA FOR EVERYONE!!! :mog:

My driving instructor went deaf in one ear from using buds.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

Oh my god Pip. This needs to go in the "recommendations for other channels" thread. I am GRIPPED. :))
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Froozy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:52 pm
Look up Audiology Associates.

I have a waxy wars and blast them under the shower.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

You people are all perverts. :snooty:
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

I love hydrogen peroxide drops!
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

Kleio wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:37 pm Look up Audiology Associates.
Amazing :love:. This evening I have mainly been watching ears :lol:
bramblerose

Post by bramblerose »

I love Rhys Barber :love:. I've added the other chap to my watch list.
Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either, just fuck off and leave me alone.
Toast
Delboy

Post by Toast »

Audiology Associates is soooo good. He’s really lovely too.