Umbilical hernia

Beatrix

Umbilical hernia

Post by Beatrix »

Have any hatchlings had an operation to fix one? I spoke to the doctor about M’s (she’s nearly three and a half), it’s not causing any discomfort but it’s not gone away. It was a phone consultation so I’d sent some pictures and the doctor seem to think it probably wouldn’t resolve itself, around here they refer children at age four for surgery.

We could just leave it and it may sort itself, although there are risks that as she grows her muscles could cause strangulation (where it gets trapped and can cause pain which would have to be fixed by surgery). Obviously a procedure under GA also carries its own risks, although these seem more calculated/known risks so I’m leaning towards surgery.

Grateful for any experience you can share.
smalex

Re: Umbilical hernia

Post by smalex »

My sister had this, she had an operation when she was...er.... somewhere between 3 and 7ish I reckon, to correct it. They found two further down I believe too which were also corrected. as far as I recall, 30 yrs later, she recovered quickly and that was that.

I don't think she'd had any discomfort from it in the first place, I guess it was just advice at the time to have it operated on?
Beatrix

Re: Umbilical hernia

Post by Beatrix »

Thanks, smal. I don’t think the advice has really changed much. I think it’s probably worth doing before she starts school so it doesn’t disrupt that.