School bullying- what is reasonable to expect.

Ruby

Re: School bullying- what is reasonable to expect.

Post by Ruby »

In 'defence' of the school, it can be really hard to suspend/exclude a child. Especially if there are social/emotional/behavioural issues. You have to wait until they do something horrific. There's a child at our school who throws massive rocks across the playground. He's had numerous suspensions for it but we can't permanently exclude him because it's never fully hit someone. :woteva: Presumably we have to wait for a child to be crippled or killed.

ETA : it still sounds like your school are being a bit weak about it though.
smalex

Post by smalex »

My sister said there's been a lot of pressure on schools to exclude less kids.

I'm not honestly expecting exclusion, but the head is so wet. When someone pointed out this was a slowly worsening issue over 6yrs he basically said he'd only been there 2 so the first 4 didn't count :ella: :ruby:
Last edited by smalex on Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I know of three children who were excluded from our primary school and all of them involved throwing actual tables! One particular child was in my nephews class and they regularly had to evacuate the classroom while he trashed it.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Kleio wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:10 pm I know of three children who were excluded from our primary school and all of them involved throwing actual tables! One particular child was in my nephews class and they regularly had to evacuate the classroom while he trashed it.
Eeesh. There was a boy in Ws bubble last year like that, but he mysteriously left fairly quickly.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Just bumping this to ask if you all think this sounds fair/right. Its calmed down on the boys side, W's group and the other group just don't mix but that's fine as far as everyone seems to care. Anyway, yesterday apparently one of the girls set upon one of the others in the classroom, kicked and hit her. Not without provocation, from what I'm told, but I don't know for sure. Anyway, the (supply) teacher broke it up, and the head got involved. He publicly told the class the girl was to be suspended (she's to work from his office for a day or two). By contrast the boys who have done similar weren't suspended (so far as we can tell) nor was their punishment (if there was one) publicly announced?! We (the parents of the boys) are a bit miffed to say the least!
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

I'd be really pissed about that. I guess one way to approach it would be to get a load of you to contact the head commending him for tackling the situation and seeking assurance that any further issues between the boys will be dealt with to the same rules and standards?
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

I agree that it seems unfair. Was it the same teacher dealing with both incidents?
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Like Purp says, go with the positive reinforcement. But it does seem like everyday sexism.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

That's proper institutionalised sexism! Girl offender gets public and severe punishment, while boys will be boys and can't be shamed for their behaviour. With a side of boy victims shouldn't be such wusses.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Right?! I'm fine with her punishment except that its not even slightly on a par with what the boys have received! Its sexist bullshit.

Their class teacher is new and she's been off sick for most of the last 3 weeks, so not the same teacher dealing with it but the same head. The only difference is this incident happened in the classroom in front of the teacher, whereas the incidents with the boys have been in the playground or corridors (but, I'd emphasise the boys who complained are generally well very behaved and the boys who were accused have a very long track record of being disruptive, rude and bullying, so the 'well who can say who is telling the truth' argument holds no water for me).
Little My

Post by Little My »

I imagine the very long track record comes into play too. And perhaps reasons behind the long-standing poor behaviour. Stamping out versus the long game.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Hmmm. I'm absolutely sure they'd deny it but I think there's a big part of that. The head more or less said it to my friend in one meeting about the situation.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Yeah. It's absolutely not fair though.