Best hair dye?

Froozy

Best hair dye?

Post by Froozy »

S (6) is desperate to dye his hair blue and school think it’s a great idea so I’ve agreed we can give it a go. I haven’t used any hair dye since an unhappy sun in episode about 15 years ago so am not sure where to start. Can anyone recommend one?
F'Artiste

Re: Best hair dye?

Post by F'Artiste »

Manic Panic have quite bold colours and tend to be conditioner based, so they don’t wreck your hair.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I used Crazy Colors on Squeak’s hair.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Crazy colour blue tends to go green after a couple of washes.

Bleach London is good but I’m not sure if they have blue. I use Live permanent blue and I’m sure they do some semipermanent.

Would he be happy with chalk?
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

Thanks all, this is all new territory for me! Do you bleach their hair first, or are they light enough not to need it? I’m definitely not at that level, especially for a first go!

Hair chalk might be a good starting point for me, Kleio, but does it rub off on everything?

I’ve also seen wax-type products that rub into dry hair, but again, assume they’ll stain everything he gets near.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

What colour is his natural hair?

I wouldn’t be keen on bleaching near the scalp, I’d maybe put a little bits on the end but not on short hair.

Chalk is pretty good for it transferring and I’ve heard some good (and bad) things about the coloured waxes.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

I’d say his hair is mid-dark brown so I think it might struggle. And it’s short. Chalk seems like the best option - any recommendations for that too? Thank you so much!
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Chalks all seem to be pretty much the same. I’d apply to slightly damp hair and hairspray afterwards. Sometimes a spritz of dry shampoo first can help.

I think L’Oréal do a spray chalk.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

Brilliant! Thanks all of you - I had no idea where to start!

Although, he’s just told me the one of the TAs said he should dye his hair white first so the blue would take well. I’m not massively impressed with the idea of telling a 6yo to strip their hair, but maybe something’s been lost in translation :))
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Colorista is quite good also.
Malan
Sky

Post by Sky »

Blue is the cockroach of hair colours and near impossible to get rid of, just to make you aware! I had to strip it for a job a few years ago and you could still see it after two bleach sessions.

I use Adore and Crazy Colour and my hairdresser is always telling me to buy Manic Panic but it's a lot more expensive and I've not got around to trying it yet.
nineseven wrote:What's the point in being slim if you have to stay indoors all the time, leaking from your anus?
http://www.justgiving.com/Pamela-Ward" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

I can’t seem to find the colorista hair make up online at the moment, Marth. I’ll have a look in store on Friday but it looks like it might be discontinued/Brexited.

Thanks Sky, but I don’t feel up to semi-permanent on his head, especially if I’d have to strip it first - I don’t have the skills or the motivation :lol:
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

For a little kid wouldn't a spray-on dress-up type product be better? If he's got dark hair I reckon he'll be disappointed with any dye done without bleaching first.