Buns in the oven

Dutchie

Re: Buns in the oven

Post by Dutchie »

Glad to see you have checked off another week and all is stable in the twin-growing location. Sorry about all the pregnancy niggles! I'm afraid that is probably (partially) age-related, on top of you growing TWO humans of course! I was 41 when I had Neil and I had many more niggles than with the other two, despite being very fit.

If the hospital isn't doing antenatal classes, could you start going to antenatal yoga or so? I did that in my first pregnancy and they had 2 partner sessions where all the partners joined in. I found it more informative than the bog standard antenatal classes!
viggy

Post by viggy »

Apart from the dislocated jaw I had all these same symptoms ten years ago - mind you, I wasn't particularly fit then, either! I'm naturally quite bendy (others in my family are hypermobile) so unfortunately I think my body just isn't that fond of pregnancy Relaxin.

I've been thinking about pregnancy yoga for a while, but I'm still struggling with post-COVID breathlessness and exhaustion - I bit the bullet today and had a look to see what's available and there's nothing local unfortunately. I have signed us up to a Twins Trust online antenatal class though - it's supposed to be £90 but the Scottish Government are funding it for Scottish parents - thanks Nicola! :))
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

I’m so glad the ongoing updates are staying positive! Fingers crossed for a long and cosy time inside for them.

If it’s any consolation to L, I did the full normal course of antenatal classes in 2019 and they were nothing to write home about, in particular the one (1) that birthing partners were invited to attend. The entire session was quite openly geared towards informing feckless partners that the birthing process might involve them having to step away from their phone/X Box for more than 5 minutes, and while I appreciated that for the women in the class whose partners looked utterly bewildered by this groundbreaking concept, it definitely wasn’t worth the flexitime C used to attend.
mischief

Post by mischief »

My daughter in law had her anomaly scan last week and was told that she has a perfect beautiful baby. We are going over next weekend for a mini gender reveal :disco:
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Ah, that’s lovely news Mischief :love:

I didn’t go to any of the classes either time, (actually I’m not sure they were even offered second time round? I can’t remember). But I think the first time they coincided with a holiday for one, and then beyond that I wasn’t that interested in the breast feeding one and the one with both parents ended up clashing with an emergency growth scan (as a result of someone else using the tape measure that week and getting a completely different result). I don’t think I missed anything that I hadn’t already equipped myself with via google or whatever :lol:

I did pay for private physio towards the end which made a huge huge difference as my back was so fucked. I just went once a week to a sports physio and he straightened me back up and then I’d come back wonky again the next week to get fixed. It really helped though as I was sat at a desk all day and even with the spesh chair they got me it was becoming unbearable.
viggy

Post by viggy »

Lovely news Mischief :weewee: Gender reveals always make me think of a friend of a friend who was CLEARLY gutted she was having another boy :look: but hopefully your family will be a little more light hearted about the result either way :)

After a few weeks of stability, we got more bad news today -
the blood flow through twin 2’s cord has deteriorated and we’re back to twice weekly scans while they figure out how quickly everything is going downhill :cry: I’d really hoped they’d just grumble along like the consultant said, but now it looks like we’re headed along a path of when, rather than if, things get critical for my littlest boy. If things get worse and he doesn’t get enough oxygen he’s at risk of brain damage, so it will be a fine balance between how long to keep them both in, and when they’ll be safer in the outside world. I’m 24+2
now, but obviously the longer we can keep them both safe inside the better.

So far we’re clinging onto the fact that he’s not showing any signs of distress yet, and that the hospital is monitoring everything really closely.

We’re going to Blackpool on Saturday for a week with friends, and it now looks likely I’ll be driving back on the Monday and Thursday for extra scans.

On a slightly lighter note, we got a beautiful photo of twin 1’s face today, but couldn’t see twin 2’s face because it was covered completely by his brother’s arse :lg:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

:lol: I had some head in bum scans.

I'm really sorry to hear that though, I hope they can both stay inside as long as possible. Thinking of all of you.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
mischief

Post by mischief »

I hope they stay inside as long as they can x
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I really hope you can keep them in as long as possible Viggy.

Can the two hospitals not have a chat and get you scanned in Blackpool?
Jupiter

Post by Jupiter »

Keeping everything crossed that they stay put as long as possible.
viggy

Post by viggy »

I could go to Blackpool hospital in an emergency, but it’s different NHS systems so I can’t go there for ongoing/routine care unfortunately.
Tits McGee
Topaz Titanium

Post by Tits McGee »

I’m sorry things have been so stressful, Viggy. Fingers crossed you can keep them in there for as long as possible.

That’s lovely, mischief. :love:
I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

Got everything crossed for a prolonged stay in hotel Viggy!
viggy

Post by viggy »

Another scan today and the blood flow to twin 2 hasn’t improved - the doctor covering daycare “phoned a friend” who was the same consultant we saw on Monday so he knew my case well.

The good news is they didn’t give me pre-delivery steroids today(!) but whereas before we were working on aiming for 32 weeks, today we were told they’d be happy with anything over 27 weeks :cry: I’ll be 25 weeks on Sunday.

Fuck.

Being born mid July when you’d be full term mid October is shit whichever way you look at it.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I'm so sorry Vigs, really hope they can hang on in there.

How are you doing if that isn't a stupid question?
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Oh vigs, I hope you're as OK as you can be.
mischief

Post by mischief »

Having had a 25 weeker myself I hope you can hang on in there. He is now 26 and special care has come on in leaps and bounds since then.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Have you dropped a message to Lora? She might be able to give you some advice too.

I’m sorry it wasn’t better news Vigs. Crossing my fingers your boys stay where they are for as long as possible.
viggy

Post by viggy »

Thanks everyone. I’m reeling TBH - these past weeks we’ve always been on the edge of things going wrong, but we kept getting healthy measurements for everything and after a while you just accept that scan days are going to be a bit nerve wracking, but the rest of the week is just about being as normal as possible and getting on with things.

I think we’d done a pretty good job of getting our heads round 30-32 weeks as a goal rather than 36, but our revised aim of 27 weeks today has been hard, especially thinking about twin 2 who’s only on the 2nd centile. Both boys are wriggling away, kicking sonographers when they try and scan them - they seem to be doing so well, yet suddenly we seem to be talking about July instead of August. :cry:

It’s been a while since I’ve let myself contemplate the prospect of twin 2 not making it, but I’ve read some scary stuff tonight as well as some comforting things. The doctor said today they tend to work based on what’s actually happening with twin 2 rather than focussing on labelling the type/stage of growth restriction and so on, and I think that’s what I need to try and do, because the stats in general aren’t very encouraging.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Oh Viggy. I’m sorry that your aim date has been pulled forward again. At this point every day is a step forward for your boys. Rest up x