maya

Re: Tiny Turtle Hatchlings

Post by maya »

Congratulations!!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Any advice about leaking nappies? Tim is leaking all the time. His penis is being pointed downward, the cuffs are being pulled out, and we've switched to the smallest size in case they were too big (currently using Pampers, we originally had size 1in Pampers, Asda and Tesco but have now got Pampers size 0). It means we're having to change the cot sheet constantly so a solution would be good!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Pampers always leaked with Joe. The only ones that didn't were the Huggies in the red packet. I think they were flexible or comfort fit or something. I'll see if I can find a link rather than a vague description :))
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Apparently they don't sell Huggies anymore, so that was a useful post :))
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Oh, that's really annoying!
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Where do you think they're leaking from? The leg holes? When J was tiny, we used to fold the top of the nappy down and then do the tabs up sort of lower and tighter to minimise any leg hole gaps. Are you making sure all the frilly bits around the leg holes are pointing outwards?
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Probably /possibly the leg holes. Frilly bits are definitely out. We will try the tabs lower and tighter technique, thanks. Well, I say we, but P is currently in sole charge of nappies. ;)
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Do them up a lot tighter Ken :yes: that’ll be why they are leaking. Biggie has had a few leaky ones on A’s watch :)) because he gets too feared of doing it too tight.
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

I concur. Leaking nappies are usually due to not being done up tightly enough or, confusingly, due to them being too small and needing the next size up.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Yeah, I'd say that needs the next size up. I found Boots own brand to be the best of the nappies.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Thanks, all. He's leaked in size zero and size one so I'm not sure if it's the size, but perhaps sticking to the size ones might help. I've passed on the advice about tightness. It wasn't massively well received. :look: Last change P said that his penis had moved to face the side although it had started off facing down so that seems to suggest that it was too loose.

The breastfeeding counselor came round again today. Having her is hugely helpful and reassuring. They're struggling to latch on to the left side so were destroying the nipple a bit which was getting quite painful, so she suggested feeding lying down which has helped a lot. She also said it's a better position for them controlling the flow, as she thinks I've currently got an over supply. I've managed the same position on my own for the rest of today, even getting them both on at once at one point. It's never quite as good as when she's here to guide me though so I think I'd quite like her to move in for a bit and just talk me through each feed. :lol:

Midwife and health visitor tomorrow, so fingers crossed they've put on weight.

:blah:

Also, at the moment babies are just being fed, changed and cuddled - when do I need to worry about entertaining them more?
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Not for ages! I had the same thoughts but I now see it was madness. They can barely see, can’t learn anything like mimicking or grasping or whatever for weeks yet. Everything right now is feeding and sleeping and cuddles, and if they hear your voices too that’s a sensory party. Do you have any books or apps that provide an update on their week by week developments? My SIL gave me a book that has short but informative chapters for each week and it’s been brilliant for anticipating what changes might be coming and also what they’re capable of, especially when it’s not a lot. It doesn’t reference twins so there are probably better things out there for you, but she swore by it and so do I now. Link below just in case.

Your Baby Week by Week
https://www.waterstones.com/book/your-b ... e+Shopping
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Oh, that's a really good idea. Short chunks of info sounds ideal. And I'm glad that we're not being neglectful already. ;)
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

That book was my bible!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I bought it for my kindle and just read it during a feed. There is even a section this week in entertaining them which just says to look at them and make faces. I have discovered that I should be giving them vitamins though. :look:
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I never gave my babies vitamins. Is that an American thing?

The Wonder Weeks app is the one I swore by. Especially when it helped me realise they were going through a “leap” so that was why they were so cranky.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Princess Morripov wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:42 am I don’t know what app you are using but Sprout is a really good app, you can track loads of things on there. I used it for Tupac for feeds and dirty nappies and to time his naps when he was older and it was really useful.

You can have more than one profile/baby on it and switch between profiles so you could track each of them separately.
I meant to say thanks for this ref. Sadly it's not on android though. I think the one I have, baby tracker is similar as I've got a profile for each.

I think the book is British, Est.

I'll get the wonder weeks app too. I think Leap suggested it before but I forgot.

Both of them have lost their cords now, which is a relief as they were absolutely disgusting. :lol: I thought it might be something where it was different when it's your own child but no, I still found it repulsive. :lol:
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

I don't like the cord either, Ken. You're definitely not alone there.

Some places (I can't remember if it's a GP, MW or health visitor) will give you vitamins for free. My sister definitely got for her first but I didn't. I helpfully can't actually remember what we gave to J, but it must have been shop bought.

We had our first mw home visit yesterday. I thought he was going to get weighed, but she said not until day 5. I asked when I can stop feeding every 3 hours through the night and she said, now, as long as he's having plenty of wet and dirty nappies. So I was ready to catch up on sleep tonight, but instead he kept being sick (well twice sick, twice just retching) , but hours after his last feed. So of course I was jumping awake with every sound!

My nipples are starting to sting already, so I know the latch has to be wrong. The mw tried to watch a feed yesterday, but typically he just wouldn't take. But she did give me some pointers, so I'll get today's mw to check again, as I don't want to go through the sore and cracked nipples like I did with J. You'd think I should know what I was doing this time!