Lockdown (And Beyond) Hatchlings

purple_dress

Re: Lockdown Hatchlings

Post by purple_dress »

I think some kind of live contact is useful for making them feel connected with the teacher and like they're still part of a class. Ours are starting this week and it's going to be one story session and one optional helpdesk slot.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

L has camera on for form registration in the morning but off for lessons. I think that is compulsory to minimise distraction.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I think it's a bit 'off' that students are required to have cameras on, tbh. A lot of kids probably have good reasons for not wanting their home or face broadcast.
Luce wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:02 pm Our one live lesson per day has been a really useful anchor point, something to focus on/aim for. It is making a huge difference. I’ve no idea what it does academically but it feels like a big change.
I think that's a good idea. One or two live sessions a day (including a 'registration') and then a mix of different activity types - maybe a recorded lesson or a specific TV programme to watch or an online quiz/Mathswatch etc. That would be my manifesto.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Ruby wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:44 pm I think it's a bit 'off' that students are required to have cameras on, tbh. A lot of kids probably have good reasons for not wanting their home or face broadcast.
Luce wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:02 pm Our one live lesson per day has been a really useful anchor point, something to focus on/aim for. It is making a huge difference. I’ve no idea what it does academically but it feels like a big change.
I think that's a good idea. One or two live sessions a day (including a 'registration') and then a mix of different activity types - maybe a recorded lesson or a specific TV programme to watch or an online quiz/Mathswatch etc. That would be my manifesto.
A lot of students are scrambling around for devices to do the work and not all of them have cameras. If schools require video to be switched on it will draw attention to students who just don’t have that resource.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I meant off for lessons being compulsory, I don’t think they have to have them on for form group.
Luce

Post by Luce »

The school hasn’t required it of him, I have. I agree it would be a very bad idea if it came from the school. But actually we’re making him do it because, short of standing over him, I’m running out of ideas on how to make him listen/engage. I reckon if he had his camera on, he’d be forced to pay more attention.
Dáire

Post by Dáire »

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... nges-again

They U-turned on the keyworker thing. I'm not sure people working from home now qualify.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

Ruby wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:44 pm
I wish you were N's teacher Ruby!! He has a couple of live sessions a day and they really make him come alive, it makes such a huge difference to his mood. However, the rest of the time it's all (exercise) books and one or two lessons a day that can be done online. I love the online stuff because the pogramme tells him if it's right or wrong and if he makes no mistakes, he gets a crown at the end, which he absolutely loves and will do his best to achieve. When he's working from his books, however, it's a constant barrage of "mum look, mum I need help, mum what is this, mum I don't understand, mum mum muuuuum!" :banghead:
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

J's set work has been hit and miss this week, with a few live lessons. I've asked him to follow his timetable and, if he doesn't have work set, find something relevant. If he's out of ideas I'll suggest BBC Bitesize, but he's spent a lot of time on Oversimplified and Duolingo (History and German are his favourite subjects). He's finished by 12-1 every day but I think he's putting in a decent amount. From next week they have live registration and then all live lessons. He will not be happy :))
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Ooo, I reckon my J might like Oversimplified. Thanks!
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

The SAM was very devoted to Oversimplified for a while. I may have used it myself. :look:
Heebie Jeebie

Post by Heebie Jeebie »

The keyworker thing is still boggling my mind. My friend and her husband are both keyworkers apparently. She's a music teacher so I get the keyworker thing for her, although she is expected to do remote lessons which seems harder for music than many other types of teaching. But he's a programme manager for an IT services company. Anyway they aren't getting places because both would have to be working outside the home to get a place. But I think that's fair enough because otherwise if they are saying key workers need to have childcare to be able to work at home, it's a pretty blatant acknowledgement that the rest of us also can't work!

My ex is being a bit more flexible this time so far so I think with some long shifts on days I don't have Beebie I will keep my head above water in the short term at least. I worked a bit yesterday when I couldn't sleep and it felt a bit passive aggressive sending emails at 5am so I might begin keeping things in my drafts folder then doing a mass send at 8 each morning or something.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I really wouldn't, Heebie. You're not doing it to make a point, so please let it be visible that you are having to work stupid hours to get things done.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Yes, I agree with Lora. People can make sure they don't get notifications at 5am, you don't have the option of not working then.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I would usually be a bit :ella: about someone sending emails at 5am but right now, I wouldn't bat an eyelid. As Smun says, if people don't want to read them at that time, they're in control of that. Unless you're emailing them at 5.10am saying "why have you not replied yet??" Maybe don't do that :))
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

As long as it’s clear you’re not expecting responses at that time.

This is just so horrible. It already feels like it’s been longer than all of March & April last year.
viggy

Post by viggy »

We all have email signatures now that say we may send emails outwith normal working hours, but don't expect a response (or something like that).
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

That's a good idea.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Yes, absolutely send at that time for visibility of the effort you are making to keep afloat.

My old department tried to insist on something like that in our signatures but it felt like it was trying to encourage us all to work 24 hours a day so I used to view anyone with that in their signature as a try-hard kiss arse :look:

I think signing off the email/including a PS saying you appreciate it’s early/late and you don’t need an immediate response would seem more personalised?
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Everyone at work just uses delay-send. I can tell because you get 30 emails all at once at the default time of 8 am.