Secondary Considerations

Cerise

Re: Secondary Considerations

Post by Cerise »

I liked Latin too and was good at it. I did it for two years and then found out that I couldn’t continue to GCSE which was disappointing.

I enjoyed freaking my child out by listing off what he’d had for lunch. I can look it up on the payment app. :))
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

H was very bouncy and enthusiastic about it all. Loved getting her planner and timetable etc and likes her teachers so far. Then had a massive wobble at bedtime and sobbed about missing her friend's and feeling like everyone knows each other. :cry:

She was the same today but said she's ok when she's there. I think it's just all been very overwhelming.

I am a bit broken by it all. I think I preferred the days of night feeds and nappies. :(
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I was broken by the SAM hating secondary school too, Ism. :cry: We had a lot of bedtime crying. I think it's made worse by the fact they're so tired.
Beena

Post by Beena »

Oh Is. :(

Bambs' is going through the same, but at college. She doesn't know a soul and is convinced everyone knows everyone else. It doesn't help that there's huge gaps in the school day - she had 2 classes today, one finished at 11 and the next doesn't start til 3 pm. They've no work yet, no clubs running so I've had a steady stream of texts as she drifts from the library to the cafe and back.

I don't know what the answer is, other than giving it time.
Dáire

Post by Dáire »

I was about to say 'my college was like that...' and then I remembered she might well be at the same one. I found the fragmented days really hard (very easy to get lazy and stop going in, too, when first and only class is 2pm or something, or you're tired of wandering round the shops for four hours between lessons) and it meant everyone sort of drifted in, did their class ("no talking!") and drifted home again without really forming groups or friendships. There was no rally point, like a form, no real 'getting to know you' or meeting opportunity. And I guess that's college, it taught some self-sufficiency I guess, and reminded us that it wasn't school anymore, but it can be a hard one to overcome.
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

Oh its such a big change for them all. They must be exhausted poor things.

Beena, I was just coming on to post similar! We have no timetable, a vague come in at 9ish on Monday and not a lot more. It is all very confusing and different. Fingers crossed they get into the swing of it soon.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

So how are all the new year 7's doing?

H has been happier. Has a few friend's and is mostly enjoying the lessons. The two girls she's mostly friend's with seem to be doing lots together without her which is unnerving her a bit but she still seems very keen on them.

She tried out for the football team, there were 3 girls and 40 boys trying out. She got a place in tonight's after school match. I got there for the last bit, there were two girls on her team and none in the other and one boy in particular shouted at her quite a bit during the game. :verm:

She was a bit tearful about it after but is determined to keep going. I really admire her, she really puts herself out there but I just want to wrap her up and home school her. :cry:
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’m glad H is starting to settle.

It’s before & after school still causing us issues as she won’t be alone.

But Squeak is loving school. She’s joined the netball team and while she’s not happy with playing Wing Defence she’s definitely finding her place. I think her glasses are helping with seeing the board now too. :)
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

Well done H. Truly she is made of stern stuff. I'm glad she's happier, and that Squeak has settled well.

We went to see our local school last night. I went last year and really liked it but was worried J (and B) would be put off by the size after their one-form primary, but they both LOVED it. J and I are going to see a couple of others (one faith school with an excellent reputation, but the travel puts me off, and another local school just for comparison) but I can't see them knocking this one off the top spot. We're in catchment but only by 2 metres and it's oversubscribed, so fingers crossed!
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I really hope Squeak settles at home for you soon. Lora is right though, H is made of sterner stuff than I.

We also went to see a local school last night. It was my old school (in an older now demolished building) and some of my teachers are still there 21 years after I’ve left! It’s the one Cube had his eye set on and one Betty would like to attend too. Unfortunately, we are just out of catchment but it wasn’t oversubscribed last year so here’s hoping! We also have a one faith school to see and the other local school. The latter is part of an academy who have been in the press A LOT. It’s an Outw**d Academy and I’d rather cut off my own arm than send him there.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Which school is that Lora? I get confused which is nearest to you. Glad they liked the look of it!
Luce

Post by Luce »

Good news, Lora. F will (hopefully*) be going to my old school which is an 11 form entry. From a 1 form entry primary school! We went to the open day last year for a recce but will be looking round properly next week. Hopefully he likes it as much as last year because the only other school is a Catholic high school that is in another town so that isn't an option (the school he wants will be a 5 minute walk)

*There doesn't seem to be any kind of catchment for this school although we are in the 'priority area' so assuming there aren't 4 million siblings then he should get in.
Beena

Post by Beena »

Dáire wrote: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:53 pm I was about to say 'my college was like that...' and then I remembered she might well be at the same one.
Holy Cross, Daire? Bambs was offered a place there and in the Grammar school sixth form, but we moved away. I think she's at the same one that TC's eldest went to.

How is eldest settling in, Mayday? Bambs is oh-kay. She's made a few tentative friends within her classes, but it pretty much as Daire described so it'll take a while for her to find her place. She's pretty lonely at the moment and has taken to wistfully watching Phoenix Nights to combat homesickness.
Dáire

Post by Dáire »

Ah, no I went to Bury.

Gosh yes, the move too. Hope she's ok. Still early days. How's she finding the area in general?
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

Phoenix Nights, oh Bambs :cry:

Eldest is much the same (minus the PN!) a few vague acquaintances similar to Bambs but it is just such a different environment. I do feel for him, all his pals went back to sixth form and I think he is regretting his lack of effort. Too late now, and maybe a lesson that he needed to learn.
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

Over here, school started on August 19th, so Jake has had a full month of secondary school already. He loves it! This is a huge relief to us - I think I was more nervous than he was! We have different levels at which you can do secondary school and he's doing the second highest level (aimed at university) so he does get a LOT of homework. Gone are the days that he could throw down his school bag and play till supper time. He's quite dedicated though and we never have to nag him to start his homework. He's got a nice mentor group and has made friends with a nice group of boys. One Friday they got out early and a group of them went to play together. One of the boys lives near the school so they dropped by his house. Jake was amazed at the sheer size of the house and excitedly told me they don't have keys - they get in using a finger print scanner! I think I can safely say he's not hanging out with the dregs of society! :lol:

At times it is overwhelming for him though - we've had some tears, mainly over homework and the volume of it. He was the youngest in his year at school so he hung out almost exclusively with boys from the year below him. This is what he finds hardest - he misses his best friend and his friend misses him as every time he comes over, Jake is doing homework and can't play with him! It's quite an adjustment for me too - helping him get his bag of books ready for the next day, getting up earlier so I can shepherd him along so he can cycle off on time, helping him with his homework, helping him plan his homework... I've heard they become more independent in their second year and I must admit I'm quite looking forward to that! ;)
Luce

Post by Luce »

We went to see F's (hopefully) school tonight and it has left him really excited which I'm so pleased about. He'd seen it before last year but we took it seriously this time. The Head is brilliant - she's been there a while and has made some excellent changes since I left 17 years ago, really progressive type things, really focused on inclusion and community. Their results are excellent and speak for themselves so I'm pleased she didn't highlight that any more than she needed to and instead talked about the things they're doing to make each student a fully rounded human with regards to their individuality. I love all that shit :))

I'm most excited about the app I get to use to spy on him because I'm so nosy. It tells me homework he's got due, when he's handed it in, behaviour marks (both negative and positive) etc etc. No wonder the kids are so well behaved, there is basically a generation of parents spying on their kids which would have absolutely horrified me at that age! :lol:

He can't wait, so that is the main thing.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

Luce wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:21 pm We went to see F's (hopefully) school tonight and it has left him really excited which I'm so pleased about. He'd seen it before last year but we took it seriously this time. The Head is brilliant - she's been there a while and has made some excellent changes since I left 17 years ago, really progressive type things, really focused on inclusion and community. Their results are excellent and speak for themselves so I'm pleased she didn't highlight that any more than she needed to and instead talked about the things they're doing to make each student a fully rounded human with regards to their individuality. I love all that shit :))

I'm most excited about the app I get to use to spy on him because I'm so nosy. It tells me homework he's got due, when he's handed it in, behaviour marks (both negative and positive) etc etc. No wonder the kids are so well behaved, there is basically a generation of parents spying on their kids which would have absolutely horrified me at that age! :lol:

He can't wait, so that is the main thing.
Is that Class Charts Luce? L’s school started using it this year and I really like it.
Luce

Post by Luce »

I think so, yes. My friend was showing me her daughter's and it feels very Black Mirror but I do like it.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

We have a different app but I love it. It tells me his timetable, achievement/behaviour points and I can notify any absences using it. I also like the payment app because I can check what he’s bought for lunch so I don’t double pizza him. This app lead to a discussion about how many fizzy can drinks each week are allowed.