Secondary Considerations

Dáire

Re: Secondary Considerations

Post by Dáire »

Places are online early.

He's in. He's got the school with a roof and a kitchen and some permanent teachers, as opposed to, y'know, the one that doesn't have those things.

Didn't have to move house after all :lol:
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

That must be a relief, Dáire.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Good news Dáire.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Oh good one, Daire!
Demelza

Post by Demelza »

That’s great news Daire
Luce

Post by Luce »

Phew, F is in to his chosen school. He'll be pleased. Although, actually who knows with Captain Hormones, he might just demonstrate no emotion whatsoever.
Demelza

Post by Demelza »

Such a relief Luce! We've just had the email – D has got a place at our preferred school. It's the one his sister and brother went to and the bus to get there stops just a few doors down from our house. Mr D was surprised I was so relieved to hear as we're in catchment for it but that's not a guarantee anymore. Just waiting to hear if anyone didn't get their preference.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Well the Child has been accepted into the school that we wanted, for the first time ever it was over subscribed so thats good.

Her mum wanted to tell her this morning but she was adamant that she didn't want to know. :lol: But she did say that if it happened to be our choice and not hers that she would be good with that. Will have to see for sure tonight. :lol:
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I hope she is good with it. Seems to be good news all round for Turtle offspring.

Demzela, our letter came with a warning that no siblings would be guaranteed a place.
Dáire

Post by Dáire »

Demelza wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:25 am Such a relief Luce! We've just had the email – D has got a place at our preferred school. It's the one his sister and brother went to and the bus to get there stops just a few doors down from our house. Mr D was surprised I was so relieved to hear as we're in catchment for it but that's not a guarantee anymore. Just waiting to hear if anyone didn't get their preference.
For sure. There's a school here ran out of places in category 2 - so no siblings got in if they didn't make it on distance. It serves two towns since they closed one town's school some years back, so those kids are in a right mess finding places.

T's school used to run out at under a mile, but they extended two years ago and can now take a class-full more. That's the only reason we're in.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Yeah, F's school has just expanded this year too. 11 forms per year! F is current in a 1 form primary so it'll be a huge change.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

11! Crikey!
Luce

Post by Luce »

I know, right! I think it was 9 form entry when I went. Technically, the numbers are for 10 classes per year but they've made it 11 to try and make the classes smaller.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

11! Cube is going from a 1 form primary to a 9 form entry and I think that’s going to be crazy. Last year they took just shy of 240 children into year 7 which is just smaller than his whole school.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

11! Cube is going from a 1 form primary to a 9 form entry and I think that’s going to be crazy. Last year they took just shy of 240 children into year 7 which is just smaller than his whole school.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

I know that she obviously isn't, but my beast seems way to young to be doing this. She'll only have been 11 for a week and it's going to involve having her own door key, phone and getting a bus on her own.

There are times when she can't cope with putting a pair of shoes on, I can't see how she is going to deal with this.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Can you start practicing now? Cube has a birthday this week but Elf will be the same as Chop as he has a late August Birthday.

Cube is getting a key for his birthday and he’s started biking to school (in a different direction) on his own and I let him stay alone while I pop to the shops. It’s so hard.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

TC, I really felt the same way about my H but honestly, you will be surprised.

She's six months in now and every morning she sets an alarm, makes her own breakfast, leaves half an hour before everyone else, walks down the road and gets the bus. She mostly gets picked up as she does sport after school every day and finishes at the same time as me but has on many occasions got the bus home, let herself in and made a snack.

She always has her bag packed and ready, remembers PE kit etc, does her honework. It amazes me.

Doesn't remember to turn off lights, put wrappers in bins, put her plate in the dishwasher when at home etc but still. :))
smalex

Post by smalex »

I went from a year of 12 kids (school was about 95) to a year of 250. I've always felt like the kids who came from bigger primaries settled in quicker, because they knew more people, but maybe it was just my perception.

Glad to hear everyone has what they wanted so far. It is crazy all your kids are going to secondary school.
Luce

Post by Luce »

I've been training F for this for ages because he's so laid back that I know his first term is going to be littered with detentions for time keeping etc. He's 12 in November so old enough but Christ, would it kill him to make a note of the time every now and then? Best of luck to his new teachers.