Tiny Turtle Hatchlings

Scooter

Re: Tiny Turtle Hatchlings

Post by Scooter »

Do you have a feeding pillow, Ken? I had a my breast friend twin pillow and I tandem feed on that with a bouncer between my feet to pop one in while I burped the other then swapped them over. You’ll find a way to make it work for you though. I soldiered in with ebf as making bottles for 2 babies was too much effort and hassle :lol:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Well, we're not having the best night! So far we've had one leaky nappy that's required a whole cot change, massive fighting of the midnight feeds, and a lot of general rage!

I tandem fed all the day feeds today, inspired by Scooter's post. My scar has been really painful today though, including during the tandem feeds so I don't know if it's a positioning thing or something. But having two painful nipples plus painful scar is not the ideal experience!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Nights are awful. Is P getting up with you? While SB was off I woke him and fed in bed. We burped one each and changed one each which really speeded things up. I hope everyone is settled now.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I've been using Lanisoh but will try shields.

P is trying to get some sleep at night so I can get some during the day. Otherwise, neither of us will get any when, like tonight, they're refusing their crib and will only sleep on a person. He got up tonight though because of them both screaming for hours for no reason and fighting feeds.

Topsy is being fed now and after a battle to get her on she's doing well and swallowing well. She's really snuffly though and I think has a blocked nose which is making it hard for her.

Sorry that M is awake too. :(
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

If you can get over the ick factor, this is really useful for blocked noses. I can’t do it but C does. They used a more industrial one in the hospital so I felt it wasn’t too faddy, and it’s definitely been really useful for us.

Nosefrida Nasal Aspirator https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00171WXII/ ... DDbWE036E4
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Sorry to post and run, hope you’re all sleeping now. Boots also sell a nose thing if you don’t want to use amazon/want P to go straight out for it. My groups also all recommended ASDA nipple shields as the best - I didn’t use mine for long but she did latch on immediately and I don’t think I got them until a few weeks in.

https://www.boots.com/snufflebabe-nasal ... e-10076203
Last edited by Leap on Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Thanks. That's kind of disgusting but if it works, it works!

Tim has taken ages and ages to latch on but finally got there. Only three hours until we do this all again! :lol: :ruby: It is very satisfying listening to the swallowing though.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

That's a good tip about the nipple shields, thanks.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

You're doing really well. Csection babies often have more mucus because of not being squeezed out! The first few weeks are all over the place (and I remember that so well with one!). They'll gradually start to know the difference between day and night and get into a feeding routine. I hope you get some rest today x
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Thanks. I've had about an hour or so this morning. :cheerup: BIL and SIL are visiting today but I might have to just stay upstairs sleeping when I can.

I think some of the issues are to do with too much milk all of a sudden and bigger breasts they're struggling to get on comfortably. The side a baby is not currently doing has started leaking a lot now. But I looked up positions for stuffed noses and me lying down, baby on top was recommended, which has helped with leaving Topsy a bit more space to breathe through her nose, and I think also helped with them being a bit more in control of the flow.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

The good side of the milk coming out everywhere though is that it was much less painful!
maya

Post by maya »

You sound like you’re doing so well and glad the feeding is going ok - definitely stay in bed as much as you can/want, visitors or not. No one should expect anything else at this stage!
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

You're amazing, Ken! I hope you get as much sleep as possible in the circumstances.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

When your milk comes in, and your boobs are massive and round, it's really hard for newborns to ... er ... gain purchase on your nips. It's like trying to eat off a beach ball. I used nipple shields.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Ruby wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:22 am It's like trying to eat off a beach ball.

:mog: It is exactly like this. It's even worse for Tim I think as he's the smallest, and it's probably why he was getting so angry and frustrated last night.
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

You are amazing, Ken! Have a look at reverse pressure softening. There’s a kellymom article. It really helped me.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Honestly, it is amazing what you’re doing. I am just going to keep throwing products at you that helped me, feel free to ignore.

The naturebond (called a Haaka in the US) is a manual pump that collects foremilk and I found it to be a lot easier and less messy than hand pumping. You can use it to reduce the pressure a bit before the babies latch, to help either them or you really. I was just shit at hand pumping and found the milk went everywhere no matter what I did - I believe most people are more skilled :cackhanded:

NatureBond Silicone Breastfeeding... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LZ2ZVCY? ... b_ap_share
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Thanks both, will have a proper look at those later.

For now I just want to complain about the fact that I'd just settled myself down after feeding for a rare opportunity for some sleep when a hospital midwife arrived. Why can't these people let us know they're coming? There's no point trying to sleep until after the next feed now so I feel so angry and upset. I don't get how it's fine to tell me I need to stick to a three hour feeding schedule and not get that with two babies that means that I can't just sleep when I want so if I miss an opportunity it's gone.
ParisGal

Post by ParisGal »

Do you think they're trying to catch parents off-guard? I can't think nowadays why they wouldn't phone ahead, even if unpredictable visit lengths mean they can't tell you a couple of days beforehand that they'll be there at 3pm.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I have no idea! I mean like you say, I get that they can't necessity give an exact time, but they could give a ball park. We weren't even told that someone was coming at any point today! I think I'm going to start refusing to answer the door if they don't give me any warning.

In contrast, the health visitor called last week to say she'll be round at ten on Friday. I don't get why they can't all be like that!