Buns in the oven

sally maclennane

Re: Buns in the oven

Post by sally maclennane »

My twin uncles had their own language when they were babies.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Luce

Post by Luce »

There is no getting away from this bit (and the next bit) being hard, to be honest. But what is really important to remember is that it is still temporary, even when it feels terrifyingly permanent. Life feels normal again before you know it. I wish I had realised this.
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

Luce is right. I keep telling my new parent friends that life will feel like life again soon. :))
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Yes, I had horrendous PND both times but the really difficult stage passes relatively quickly. I still want to stab people I hear saying to enjoy the newborn stage, because it passing quickly was exactly what I liked about it :))

It'll be great when your two are a bit older and have each other for company too.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

From what I've read, twins are more likely to have language delays but I'm not sure if it's just because of the prematurity or a separate risk factor.

I didn't get out today as the sickness has been worse but I'm feeling a bit better this evening and have been able to eat a bit more so hopefully I can do something tomorrow.

Thinking of things as temporary is helpful.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Figaro

Post by Figaro »

It’s a twin thing, even if they’re term, because they have each other :love:
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Mine didn’t say their first proper word until they were about 15 months old, due to only having 30% hearing and needing grommets after constant ear infections :( The dr told me that this is quite common in prems because of the angle of the eustachian (I think) tube. We didn’t see a speech therapist or anything and once they started they didn’t stop. Still waiting for them to stop talking now! They are very articulate little boys :lg:

They had no problems communicating between themselves though.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Are yours identical, Scooter? They look very similar. :love: There's a small chance mine might be but at the first scan they could see that I'd ovulated twice so it's more likely that they're separate eggs. I guess I will have my answer if it's a girl and a boy!

I'm feeling on a much more even keel emotionally so I feel a bit embarrassed about my outburst now. It's genuinely what I was feeling at the time and have done before so I guess it's useful for me to reread with the responses if/when it happens again.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Don't ever be embarrassed. God knows you have helped other people on here enough in the past so it is good to be able to help you if we can! I'm glad you're feeling brighter.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

You can’t be embarrassed about that, dafty. I’m glad you feel brighter today, there will be horrible down days but knowing it’s normal and that everything does pass helps a lot.

My friend gets asked if hers are identical, a lot. She always responds that “No, you can tell they aren’t, Charlotte has green eyes and Thomas has blue”. She’s dry as a bone but people don’t catch on because her French accent sounds so languid.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

:lol:
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

That’s gold, Hamm :lol:

Mine are identical although I think they look very different! Their ‘resting’ face makes it very difficult for people to tell them apart, but when they are animated they look different and they have very different personalities too.

I’m glad you’re feeling chirpier now. Keeping babies safe is a massive responsibility and definitely the least fun rollercoaster I’ve ever been on!
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

When I was pregnant I had someone at work argue with my that G/B twins could be identical. I :ella: ‘d til my eyes rolled out oft head.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Hamm wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:03 pmMy friend gets asked if hers are identical, a lot. She always responds that “No, you can tell they aren’t, Charlotte has green eyes and Thomas has blue”. She’s dry as a bone but people don’t catch on because her French accent sounds so languid.
This is brilliant :lol:. My friend has girl/boy twins and gets asked this. She has another child who is the same height as one of the twins and looks more like one of them than the other twin does, which adds to the confusion. When they were small she said it took her hours to get round the supermarket. She wanted to have leaflets printed and hand them out to anyone who asked, with FAQs including no, twins don't run in the family and no, they weren't IVF.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

:lol: People have already asked me if they're IVF, including P's sister which surprised me. I mean, it's one thing not making a family announcement that I'd decided to stop taking the pill but I don't think we'd have kept IVF treatment a secret from our parents and siblings.

My mum saw the mum of someone I know from school in Mass and she came up to my mum to congratulate me, and also said 'both [girl I went to school with] and I were really shocked to hear she was pregnant'. I get my actual friends who've I've had discussions with about what a nightmare pregnancy sounds like and babies being boring being surprised (and am totally fine with people like that saying it and have found it quite funny) , but I've seen the girl I went to school with once since I was a teenager when I bumped into her in a cafe about 18 months ago so I find it strange that her and her mum had such a strong opinion about the likelihood of me reproducing.

I've heard back from the consultant now and they want to do a cervical length scan at 16 weeks which is great. I've not heard back from my NT and blood test yet but as it's been a week now I think that hopefully means it was fine (they said high risk =a call in a couple of days, low risk =a letter in two weeks). Have you had yours back, Rhod? Fingers crossed you get good news.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

I don't know why, but I'm still shocked at the things people say! I'm sure most people assumed J was a surprise pregnancy, as I had a lot of similar reactions. I remember my boss at the time said she thought I'd only ever have dogs!

That's good news about your consultant appointment.

I haven't heard anything from any of my bloods either. I got a letter to say what my blood type was (which I already knew) but that's all. I also asked for them to call me, if there was any bad news from my screening bloods. The sonographer did say the results would probably be published on the app before I got a letter, but I keep checking and there's nothing there. I'm not sure how on the ball they are with updating it though. I assumed it would be automatic, but perhaps not.

How have you been feeling?
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I hope no news is good news for both of us then! Your trust is quite fancy with an app, I think mine are only just getting to grips with email. ;)

Your boss! That's such an odd thing to say!

I'm feeling a bit better than I did last week, so going in to work tomorrow and hoping that I'll be OK. I'm supposed to be away all next week for a work thing which I really don't want to do but as it was all booked and paid for months ago and no one can go in my place I think I'm going to have to unless I'm feeling really awful.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

The app is handy to have on my phone, but I do miss the book a wee bit!

I hope you are feeling better for going away next week. I wouldn't want to go either, but I be exactly the same if it was already booked and paid for. I'm clinging on to the fact I'm 15 weeks tomorrow, so hopefully heading into the short period of feeling ok! I did attempt to eat some healthy food at the weekend, but let's just say, it was a mistake!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I hope that 15 weeks is the turning point for you!

I think I've given up on the idea of eating healthily /like a normal person until I'm feeling a lot better.
Hamm

Post by Hamm »

It’s hard to eat, I think I took most of my nutrients in fluids, I was so thirsty.

Good news about the cervucal scan. What did you do about your holiday deposit?

People are rude, I had an argument with some who insisted we only got married because I was pregnant. I get it was a quick wedding and he was a honeymoon baby but the dates wouldn’t work and anyway, surely I know? Although saying that, I was surprised Ken. I assumed you had no interest.