Tiny Turtle Hatchlings

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Re: Tiny Turtle Hatchlings

Post by Kenickie »

Thanks, that's a good tip. I think I'll be fine, but that's why I didn't want to stop totally all at once as it would have effectively been going from four feeds to none which might have been too much.

Yesterday was night three. I spent most of it sleeping between them, which obviously isn't ideal but meant there was no real crying until 6:30, and then I swapped with P. So I'm hopeful that they've accepted the change now. I'm going to give it a few more days and then cut the bedtime feed and then I'll be done completely. :sleigh:

It is a good feeling although I don't think I'll do much with the freedom either! That's useful to know about the hormones, I'll keep an eye on myself.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

Well Done, Ken!

I hope they continue to do well. Then hopefully it won't be long until they're sleeping through without you in the bed too.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Thanks. I imagine only another five years or so. ;)

How did Conchie and J like Christmas? I hope Conchie liked opening presents as much as Topsy and Tim, although it was also a bit angering if the paper didn't rip easily enough. :lol:

How were all the other hatchlings at Christmas? Especially those who had their first Christmas like A!
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

They both had a brilliant time. J ended up opening most of Conchie's presents.

It was quite nice spending the day, just the four of us. My folks usually come over first thing to see the boys open their presents, but I've realised it really stresses me out having them here! I feel awful for saying that, because they don't do anything wrong.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

That sounds lovely, Rhod! I think a few people will be experiencing a similar side effect this year. We were only able to visit my dad in his garden for about 45 minutes, and while I’m sorry to miss the lovely day we usually have with them, it is a relief not to have 3 full Christmas days like we usually do (a day with him, day with my mum and day with C’s parents).

We had the loveliest Christmas morning yesterday, Hop’s “Open, Mama!” was in full flow and she was just a wee joy bunny all day. She also saw her cousins inside a house today for the first time in months (I can explain guv, but I won’t bore you!) and it was a pure delight. She had big heart eyes for both of them, 6 year old niece especially and she said her name for the first time within about half an hour of them playing and then didn’t stop. When she wasn’t following her around, copying her or handing her objects, she was gently taking her hand and leading her away to play in another room away from us lesser beings :love2:

She normally only infrequently sees them in parks when we meet for walks and she always stays mute and keeps her distance, so this was just so lovely to see. I wish we could do it more, but hopefully there’ll be scope for that in the not too distant (?) future.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

That sounds so lovely, Leap. Hop is so cute! It must be so nice to see her getting to play with other children. I think Conchie will really love playing with others now he's walking. I'm hoping it won't be too long until we can meet up with my sister and her boys (though, I was reading the rules for Scottish level 4 today and apparently we can still meet up with one other family outdoors. I'm so confused because I didn't think we could).

Three full Christmas days does sound very full on! One day is usually enough for me!
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

Sorry, Beatrix I missed your earlier reply. It's quite good still having some presents to open. We tried very hard to convince J not to open his all at once yesterday!

The Grand Old Duke of York! :)) I feel so sad that they are missing out on time with other children. At least J is at school now.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

It's so lovely to hear about them actually seeing family and playing with other children. Or having a less stressful time without family. ;)

On P's side, our nephews are 11-16 years older than Topsy and Tim so they're never going to play together, but my sister's kids are really close in age so it will be lovely when they can see each other properly again.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Yes, that's very true. I guess at least they don't know any different!
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Hop is 19 months today, and although it’s too early for actual potty training, the Start4Life emails mentioned that now isn’t a bad time to introduce talking about bodily functions etc so that she starts to make an association. So we’ve been doing that for a little while, although I wasn’t sure how much she was linking it to her own body.

Tonight she let me know. I was cuddling her on our bed, she was fresh from the bath so naked apart from a towel and she looked at me with a big smile and said, “peepeeeee!” while she did so right in my lap :lol:

She was so pleased with herself, and obviously I was too although had to take very cheerful evasive action :)) We do have a potty but I’m not contemplating any of that until there are more consistent signs etc, I’m just glad her first step was such a joyous one :lol:

How is everyone else doing?
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

:lol: similarly, my nephew is 3 and is only just coming around to the fact that Supreme Being and All Powerful Goddess of the House niece (6) can actually be defied sometimes :)) Hopefully M gets at least as long for oppressive love bombs on little A :love:

She definitely sounds like she knows her own mind when it comes to potty training. You sound very chilled though, it must help knowing she can do it but for whatever reason doesn’t want to just yet.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I find Emily Oster quote useful on the stats of potty training. It doesn't look like three is particularly late, and it might mean the process is quite quick and painless (four months less time taken after three!), especially given what you know of M's temperament. It does seem to say it's all swings and roundabouts so I took from it to just do it when you feel it's right.

Nephew five was nearly five when he properly got it, just before starting school. Even then he just held it all in until he got home for weeks. I think he definitely had problems around it, but he did get there in the end.

I definitely don't feel arsed to even try anytime soon. :lol: it feels like it will be a lot of hassle so I'm waiting for a time when I get some magic energy and enthusiasm about it.

That's so cute that Hop recognises what she's doing already. If not at the ideal time. ;)
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Oh that is interesting. I’m sure it was here I read here that the older generation are probably not misremembering/lying ;) when they insist their kids were all out of nappies by [improbably young age], but it’s a totally different animal because of the change in quality of nappies. Back then there was a real physical incentive for kids to stop feeling wet/smelly etc, whereas nowadays they’re more effective at alleviating that sort of thing so kids are less motivated. This is what I parroted at my mum anyway when she criticised my SIL (not my brother :ella: ) behind her back about nephew “still” not being potty trained when she thought he should’ve been.

If all goes well for us, Hop would be 2 and 2 months-ish when her whole world and home environment will turn upside down, so we’ve basically no plans to start before then and then obviously not for at least a few months after that. I certainly won’t actively inflict more than one chaotic episode on myself at a time if I can help it :))
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

When you are ready, I would recommend just going for it with pants. I'm a firm believer that having some wetness helps their bodies to learn. You have a few days of mess but then they get it (unless they're really not ready).
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

Hop is so cute and very clever!

I'm sure I've said before, that I went against the advice everyone gave me, of waiting until J showing signs of being ready to toilet train. As a result it took weeks for him to get (so definitely don't do that!). It was a month after his 3rd birthday.

We also found one of these really useful, for when you do eventually want to use the toilet. Makes it easier for them to get on the toilet themselves.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

We had this, which was hideous but useful and they really like it https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005ED8XPW/ ... -FbB6QKNAN
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

I definitely think just leave the potty training until they tell you (in their own way!). Tupac started when he was maybe 2 1/4?

He would just start wanting to take his nappy off when it was wet and letting you know when it was dirty, and we just got a musical potty thing :twitch: and he cracked it pretty quick, because of the terrible soundtrack of “big kid on the potty! I’m a big kid on the potty!!” brought him great joy :ruby: :lol:

I mean we were all stuck in the house anyway so :woteva: I do wonder whether it’ll be so easy when Biggie wants to, as hopefully we won’t be just stuck in the house then.

I hadn’t made any efforts at all to push him to it because (ha ha ha!!) in the parallel real world it was supposed to be my brothers wedding in August last year so I had it in my head that I would leave it until after that for the two week window before he started pre-school in September because I didn’t want to risk loo issues on a long drive/long wedding day etc :mog:

As it happened he definitely chose when he wanted to do it, and ultimately it worked out well with him being so young for the school year and having to start in September last year.
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

purple_dress wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:02 pm We had this, which was hideous but useful and they really like it https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005ED8XPW/ ... -FbB6QKNAN
Wheeee! We’ve got something similar (but just as ugly :lol: ) they are great. Tupac just puts it in place in the loo himself if he doesn’t need a stand up wee (also cannot push enough that showing boys how to stand up wee is a huge win :mog: ).
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Oh god I just had a horrible potty training flashback. :mog: Honestly it is my low-point as a parent. I did everything you are meant to, I promise, but the chaps simply did not consent to being potty trained at all.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Princess Morripov wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:04 pm I definitely think just leave the potty training until they tell you (in their own way!). Tupac started when he was maybe 2 1/4?
I am reasonably convinced W would still be in nappies now if I'd waited. I did wait, until he was gone 3. Introduced the potty, all the things you're meant to do. He was totally capable, just didn't want to do it. We had a week of trying to no avail, there was a stand off, I won, after which it was pretty plain sailing. I broke all the 'rules'. One day I'll write a book called 'A Guide to Potty Training: Sometimes You Just Have To Be A Bitch About It' :perky: