Early Pregnancy Thread

Rhodonite

Re: Early Pregnancy Thread

Post by Rhodonite »

Beatrix, please don't feel bad for hating pregnancy. It's okay to hate every second of it. No one will think it means you don't want the baby.

I know how you're feeling about asking for help. I felt that because my midwife didn't recommend I go to the Dr, it wasn't necessary. But don't suffer, when you don't have to.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I'm glad you saw someone so sensible and helpful! Hope the drugs are helpful and if not, keep going back to try other stuff.

Fingers crossed for Thursday!
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
lorri_b

Post by lorri_b »

That's really good news Beatrix, I hope relief is in sight.

Best of luck for Thursday! Is this your 12 week scan?
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Oh I’m so glad she took you seriously. I don’t want to put any unhelpful pressure on you but just in case you need to hear it: do take the sick line if you still feel like you did at the weekend. If you stayed in bed the whole time then even though WFH is flexible, you clearly still need the rest and it’s just as important as any other type of prescription a doctor might give you. I know your work have been great with you, but the mental load is still a big thing to contend with even if you can do it from bed.

Soap box away :)) I just needed to be told that myself, several times before I believed it and my issue was nowhere near as debilitating as yours. I hope the drugs kick in quickly and best of luck for Thursday baby viewing :love:
Peanuts

Post by Peanuts »

I am tentatively tip-toeing in to join you all.

I am a newbie (hello!) and have just found out I am expecting...4 weeks + 2.

I am 39 this year and it is my first, so worrying with all that comes with that. I have just got my booking-in appointment, for 5 weeks time. Must be patient!

I am hoping you'll let me scream in here as I already am barely tolerating my other half!!
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

Congratulations, Peanuts. How are you feeling? The waiting is so hard!
Peanuts

Post by Peanuts »

Thanks, Rhodonite!

I am feeling OK, not much on the symptom front, sore boobs, crap sleep. Catch 22 of not wanting to feel rough but wanting to feel preggo.

Are you pregnant at the moment?
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

Fingers crossed you stay symtomless, though I think mine started around 6 weeks.

No, that was me this time last year, though. My youngest is 5 months today!
Peanuts

Post by Peanuts »

Happy birthday to your little 'un!

I'll enjoy the next couple of weeks then. Thanks for your welcome - will see you around :)
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Congratulations, Peanuts. Lovely news (not the annoying husband thing)
Malan
lorri_b

Post by lorri_b »

Congratulations Peanut. The first few months are so full of anxiety aren't they?

I'm 16 weeks on Friday, and we have a gender scan booked on Sat. This time round I'm feeling so much pressure to have a girl. I think people assume as I have 2 boys I must be desperate for a girl - I'm really not!
rosy

Post by rosy »

That really annoyed me with my third, lorri. People who said "you must want a girl after two boys" got told "no, we're hoping for a donkey".
It’s like a normal midlife crisis only with more chandeliers and foreign languages.
Peanuts

Post by Peanuts »

Thanks everyone!

How exciting to find out what kind of baby you are having, lorri_b! I can imagine many people have preconceptions about wanting each gender, people are annoying.

12 weeks feels like a milestone, Beatrix. I see that you've not had an easy ride so far, I really hope it gets easier for you from here.

Did anyone pay to have an early viability scan? We are very tempted to at about 8 weeks.

I would like to also share a really stupid paranoid thought about the fecking coronavirus..! My partner travels a fair bit for work and I work at a uni with a huge international cohort. I know we can't do anything about it and I am not usually a worrier about such things. Feel free to tell me to shut up!!
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Congratulations, Peanut! I would say do it if you’re ven thinking about it. We got an 8 week scan as part of our treatment (IVF) but I wouldn’t have hesitated to pay for one if that hadn’t been the case. As it was, we paid for a private one at 11 weeks because the official dating scan wasn’t until week 13 and we just couldn’t wait that long. It was such a negligible amount (obviously that’s relative) for the peace of mind, and it’s such a nice way to do it too when the official ones can be quite hit or miss in terms of...warmth :look: We also got a private gender scan at 16 weeks and I was so glad we did as the 20 week anomaly scan was very formal and stiff for all of us as of course the focus is on checking all the health markers and we were holding our breath the whole time. The 16 week was only about first checking in she was doing okay, and then just fun watching her bob around and hide her bits :))

Lorri - speaking of which! I had a tea and a sugary breakfast an hour before I went to help prevent a sleepy baby, and she was practically a spinning top as a result :lol: I had to do a lot of wiggling and turning but we got there. I hope you have a more straightforward time! Please report back :bel:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

A spinning top. :lol:

Hope the scan goes well tomorrow, Beatrix. I meant to say earlier than the forums on the pregnancy sickness support site are very helpful if you want advice on dealing with the side effects of cyclizine. I remember it totally knocked me for six with exhaustion at first, but I'm not sure if I managed to find a strategy to deal with it, which is not very helpful -i find it really hard to think back to that time as I seem to have blocked so much of it out in my mind which is quite weird but I guess nature's way of meaning you'll have another. ;)

Congrats peanut! I paid for private scans at 8 weeks, 18 weeks (I had NHS scans at about 16 and 20) and then one at about 24 weeks which was 3d. At the time I fretted about whether it was a waste of money/ridiculous, but looking back it was worth every penny and if anything I wish I'd had more as it was the only times I felt reassured and not massively anxious. I was a bit mental all the way through though. :cheerup: So if you can afford it, go for it.

Hope your scan goes well on Saturday, Lorri. I think people always have silly comments about gender. I've lost count of the number of people who have been like 'oh, a boy and a girl, how perfect, you must be done then' as if there's no other reason to have a child.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Peanuts

Post by Peanuts »

I needed to hear that – consider myself checked, you are right! I’d borrow worry from elsewhere. Good point re Flu Jab, will get on to it.

You’ve also convinced me to go for the scan, didn’t take much– there will be no stopping me now, I’ll be there every week! So cute to hear your baby was as excited as you were, Leap!

I’ve got the beginnings of a cold/sore throat etc, I guess that is one of the joys – at least it is something though!
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

I'd definitely go for an early scan too, if it will make you feel better. We had loads of scans with my second, and it was hugely reassuring. I'd be tempted to go private for additional scans, if there was ever a 3rd.

Your poor aunt, Beatrix. What a horrible thing to do to her!

People can get so funny about the sex of the baby. Even though we didn't find out, people would constantly ask me what I thought I was having and would keep pressing me for an answer when I said I didn't know!
Peanuts

Post by Peanuts »

That is exactly what I was thinking - I am conscious that I do it! Ask if they know what they are having when being faced with a newly pregnant person! I have a lot to learn - it's usually as after 'congratulations, how are you feeling' etc, I get a bit stuck for what to say next. I am also a dick.

Thanks for the heads up - defo getting the flu jab now, sore throat and no medication is bad enough. I quite the pill-popper normally!
lorri_b

Post by lorri_b »

Leap 😂 I will try not to overload too much on sugar then. I couldn't find out at my anomaly scan with R, so I'm hoping baby cooperates.

I also had an early scan each time and I wouldn't hesitate to do so again. The chances of something going wrong once you've had a scan with heart beat reduce, and that helped me relax a bit.

Fancy a midwife doing that Beatrix. My nan died a week before I found out, and so my family are all desperate for me to have a girl for sentimental reasons. It was getting me down a bit.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

God, that is so difficult and unfair. A woman in my babycentre group has two nephews and now two boys herself, and has had no end of moaning from her mum about how she will never have a granddaughter. It makes her quite glad in a way as in her case she knows for sure now if her youngest had been a girl there would’ve been definite favouritism :ella: It’s not as if we choose these things or have any influence anyway!