Secondary Considerations

Topcat

Re: Secondary Considerations

Post by Topcat »

I can do a practice run on the bus into the new school over a weekend I suppose and she is fine on her own when I go down to the shops etc but I can't really think of what else I can do in advance of it happening.

Honestly, if this was two or three years down the line then I would be fine with it, but she isn't geared up for this shit yet.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

We walked to the bus stop and back a few times with H to make sure she knew the way. She started walking home from school alone in year 6 too to get used to it.

It is a massive transition and there were a few wobbles, I found it very emotional but everything's settled now and she is fine.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Cheers Is. She will get there I suppose, it's just going to be fraught along the way.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

It’s been a trial with Squeak, but we’re getting there. I mostly trust her, it’s her own fears causing our issues.
Luce

Post by Luce »

There’s lots you can do, Alan, although she might not need any of this shit that I have to do with F. I’ve stopped reminding him about homework etc, I make him walk home on his own sometimes (not since he had a run in with Bigger Boys but we need to start again) and I don’t remind him/bail him out when he forgets to take in homework or PE Kit or whatever. It’s actually more training for me because I’m a control freak and it wasn’t helping him at all. We’ve been doing it since the beginning of year 6 and he’s responded well so far. Again, Chop might already be good at all that stuff.
Dáire

Post by Dáire »

All three of T's best friends are at other schools. We knew one was aiming for a scholarship at a private - he got it :) - but yeah. There's only 7 boys in his current class as it is.

I'll get social and keep an eye out for some Meetups for him.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

She can't get to school on her own at the moment, it's too far away. Homework is a good idea though, but we have only just got back on track on that so it may have to wait until next term.

The rest of the stuff is difficult because she bounces between two houses it's generally down to the grown ups to work out where the swimming kit has ended up etc. That would be too much for her to cope with, and she is already at a disadvanatage when it comes to remembering things because her condition / medication does seem to cause issues in that area.

We did have the chat last night about schools, and although she was initially a little upset, her cousin did point out that she had earlier said she would be happy with either outcome. She did well. :mrgreen: There were a few more histrionics when she spoke with her mum about it but we self medicated with chicken and chips and chocolate gateau and all was well until this morning, which is standard.

So I think she'll be fine with the decision eventually and tonight we will look up the school website and the transport links and I will generally try to encourage enthusiasm about it all.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Topcat wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:52 pm She can't get to school on her own at the moment, it's too far away. Homework is a good idea though, but we have only just got back on track on that so it may have to wait until next term.

The rest of the stuff is difficult because she bounces between two houses it's generally down to the grown ups to work out where the swimming kit has ended up etc. That would be too much for her to cope with, and she is already at a disadvanatage when it comes to remembering things because her condition / medication does seem to cause issues in that area.

We did have the chat last night about schools, and although she was initially a little upset, her cousin did point out that she had earlier said she would be happy with either outcome. She did well. :mrgreen: There were a few more histrionics when she spoke with her mum about it but we self medicated with chicken and chips and chocolate gateau and all was well until this morning, which is standard.

So I think she'll be fine with the decision eventually and tonight we will look up the school website and the transport links and I will generally try to encourage enthusiasm about it all.
It's definitely a challenge, ensuring things come to and from the right house. We have had a few mishaps with no school tie here on a Sunday night etc, but the school have for the most part understood.

I made SB2 walk places on his own in the holidays before starting secondary, with me following behind booming "LOOK BOTH WAYS!!!!!" Then at some point you just have to have a leap of faith.
Malan
Little My

Post by Little My »

It's an exciting adventure for them, really. I loved going to secondary. Although I'm shocked that they are starting at 11 (even though it was the same for me) as it does seem so young. R won't start high school until 13, so three more years. She's already picked where she wants to go!

So pleased you are all getting your first choices.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Do they ever learn to look both ways? :puppy:
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

smalex wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:04 pm Do they ever learn to look both ways? :puppy:
Regarding Sb2 ... No 😵
Malan
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

They really are all too wee for secondary. We're just back from a welcome Mass at Joe's, and he's having a taster day each Wednesday for the next few weeks. He's going from a school with 76 kids to one with 1200ish, so it'll be quite a change :))
Dutchie

Post by Dutchie »

We've just been to register Joe for his choice of secondary school. *gulp* Over here, you normally start at age 12 but as he skipped a year of primary school, he's still only 10 (will be 11 when he goes). He seemed so small in that big, huge school! Happily, they have a special class for kids who skipped a year or two of primary school. They are notoriously hard to motivate and it's a smaller class where they get a bit more attention to keep them focused and interested. This has given us so much peace of mind! He's really looking forward to it too.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Fuck fuck fuck...in all this drama, I've completely missed the deadline for accepting Felix's place at school. I remembered this at 3am. He will never forgive me if I've fucked this up.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

I'm sure they'll be a bit flexible, Luce, giving all that's going on. When was the deadline? Is there anyone there you can call?
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

If ever there were extenuating circumstances, Luce, that time is now. Can you call the education authority and explain?
Luce

Post by Luce »

Well it's the actual school I'm supposed to inform and the deadline for that was 16th March (we were in quarantine then anyway). The letter also says we have to inform them in writing if he didn't want the place so as we've not done that, we might be ok. It was his first choice so they must know we want it.

I've called the school who have said they'll get back to me and obviously they're very busy at the moment but I just need to know it will be ok!
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Gosh, I didn’t think you had to accept school places. Our letter just said to contact if you didn’t want the place you’d been given.
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I almost did exactly the same, Luce, but got an email on the last day for acceptance asking if they'd missed my reply. Ours was done in the portal so I quickly accepted online and said sorry, I must have not fully completed the process first time :uhh: I just sagged with relief at J getting the place and then must have completely switched off from it all.

If you and I (usually organised) have both done it I'm sure It must be quite common and easily sorted :fc:
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Was it ok Luce?

As normal transition practices can’t take place (usually the staff would be visiting the Year 6s once a fortnight from now) they’re sending stuff like this.

Cube had to fill out a get to know you pack and this is how he treated his family. Part of me wants to send it to BB but that will only cause trouble.

He was also asked to state the things in his life he dislikes - My Dad, bullying and spelling.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kleio on Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.