Secondary Considerations

Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Re: Secondary Considerations

Post by Smunder Woman »

Joe won't wear one because everyone else just pulls their blazer over their head in the rain. I'm going to go down the too big pac a mac route too, because he'll need it in winter. Apparently they're not allowed, but I think he's misunderstood and they're not allowed wear them around indoors. I really can't see a school in Scotland banning anything more than a blazer in winter.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Ah, this is as I suspected. F is in the never-coat camp and is very much about The Done Thing, he'd sooner die of exposure than be uncool. I'll smuggle his pac-a-mac in his bag for now. I figured there would be some complicated shenanigans regarding lockers and my son is super lazy so I might hold off on shelling out for a massive, over-priced cost just yet. I've not even bothered buying him a jumper and will wait till he goes mental at me about it on a random Wednesday in December.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I think that's definitely the best approach. The chaps actually told my dad that I'd refused to buy them a coat so that he'd give them a lift home. :lol: Fortunately my dad knew it was bollocks although the soft sod actually does go and give them a lift sometimes when it's pouring.
Marth wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:33 pm SB2 carries every single massive book in his rucksack rather than use his locker. The bag is so heavy I can barely lift it up!
SAME. Honestly. I've packed lighter for a trip abroad.
Last edited by Ruby on Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Luce wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:10 pm Ah, this is as I suspected. F is in the never-coat camp and is very much about The Done Thing, he'd sooner die of exposure than be uncool. I'll smuggle his pac-a-mac in his bag for now. I figured there would be some complicated shenanigans regarding lockers and my son is super lazy so I might hold off on shelling out for a massive, over-priced cost just yet. I've not even bothered buying him a jumper and will wait till he goes mental at me about it on a random Wednesday in December.
Learn from me and do not shell out. Joe borrowed jack's waterproof during the first week, and left a new £85 Nike jacket in the bloody school :verm: This is what comes of last minute realisation that it's pissing down and his coat doesn't fit over his blazer. He's now also lost a packed pencil case which, of course, came from paperchase.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

Smunder Woman wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:15 pm
Luce wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:10 pm Ah, this is as I suspected. F is in the never-coat camp and is very much about The Done Thing, he'd sooner die of exposure than be uncool. I'll smuggle his pac-a-mac in his bag for now. I figured there would be some complicated shenanigans regarding lockers and my son is super lazy so I might hold off on shelling out for a massive, over-priced cost just yet. I've not even bothered buying him a jumper and will wait till he goes mental at me about it on a random Wednesday in December.
Learn from me and do not shell out. Joe borrowed jack's waterproof during the first week, and left a new £85 Nike jacket in the bloody school :verm: This is what comes of last minute realisation that it's pissing down and his coat doesn't fit over his blazer. He's now also lost a packed pencil case which, of course, came from paperchase.
SB2 routinely lost everything, that as well as leaving the front door open, losing his keys, wandering about aimlessly....
Malan
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

What is WRONG with them??

Poor Joe, he definitely has my executive function (i.e. none)
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

The blazers are vaguely showerproof here so it’s dove to wear something under it like a thick hoodie.

You’re not meant to wear anything over the blazer.

Jumpers are part of the uniform but never worn so I haven’t bothered to get one.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

Squeak will wear a coat over her blazer. A lot of the kids eventually concede to coats by October half term, based on my years of school run observations.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

H will wear a coat over her blazer too.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

A padded jacket, Luce? https://www.uniqlo.com/uk/en/product/ki ... padded3112

Gap always do them too.
Luce

Post by Luce »

That was my kind of thinking too, emmap but I need to wait and see if that is cool enough for him, he likes to follow a crowd. Unfortunately coats up here are a bit pointless unless they are a full on Jack Wolfskin all-weather proof type affair.

I'm already dreading giving F a key. I've never bothered till now but they're £15 a pop if/when he loses them. He walks past my mum's house on his way home so I'm also fully expecting him to call in to his Nana's on his way home for a cup of tea and to rinse her for any treats in the house.
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

Mine have all been coat avoiders - even in the middle of winter. I suppose they do have a shirt, jumper and blazer though, so are probably pretty warm without the coat.

They do have small umbrellas in their bag, so at least they don’t arrive at school soaking. The girls don’t mind carrying one but I don’t usually see any boys with them!
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Jesus, I am feeling massive guilt right now. Joe came home the other day and announced he had a girlfriend. I've been keeping an eye on his social media and she was being very manipulative, mostly probably normal for an 11/12 year old, but it was bothering me. Things like saying she had to go to hospital and it was his fault, and being all dramatic constantly over him not acting exactly how she wanted. I had a wee chat and told him that it's important to make sure people are treating him properly, as much as it's important for him to treat other people properly, he went away and told her to stop speaking to him like that or he wasn't interested, and now one of them has blocked the other. I feel a bit like I was meddling, but also felt it was important to him to recognise this is not healthy behaviour, and he doesn't need to jump every time she decides she wants him to :ruby:
Loralei

Post by Loralei »

I think that was entirely appropriate, Smunder. It doesn't sound as if you even told him what to do (I wouldn't have been able to help making endless 'helpful' suggestions :look: ), but gave him the support he needed not to be manipulated. I am taking notes!
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

You did totally the right thing.
viggy

Post by viggy »

That sounds 100% like he's learning how to set healthy boundaries, well done Smun.
Mayday

Post by Mayday »

You absolutely did the right thing, Smun. Eldest had a dalliance with a girl at a similar age and she was the same. He ghosted her for a week and then she confronted him and had a massive go at him (deserved, so fair enough). Obviously then we had to have a chat about respect and how you treat people.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

I imagine it’s so hard navigating these things and think you did the right thing, Smunder.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Oh, bless him. I think you (and he) did the right thing.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Thank you all. I really felt like a dick. I've just spoken to him again about it and he's fine. I think he was glad I gave him an out :))