Secondary Considerations

Ismee

Re: Secondary Considerations

Post by Ismee »

Teasel wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:34 am Thank you both. It's good to know others go on the vibe/feeling you get as that's mostly what I've been basing things on.

Last night was good. It's the first time I've seen the school (we went to the other 2 last year's round of open evenings) and I liked it a lot. N also did a taster day with her class last term so has had a good feel for it. A year 7 pupil who had come from N's primary showed us round which helped because they knew each other so asked things I don't think they've asked otherwise.

I'm going to ask your library question at the next one Pip!
That sounds really positive!
Teasel

Post by Teasel »

6th form?! :faint:
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Haha! I've just been sent an email from the school about a trip to Berlin.

They want £700 for two nights and the first £350 of it in a weeks time. Oh, and parents have to pick up and drop off at the airport. :lol:

Ahahahahaha! Fuck right off. :mog:
Little My

Post by Little My »

That's quite a lot of faff and expense for a measly two nights.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Topcat wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:10 pm Haha! I've just been sent an email from the school about a trip to Berlin.

They want £700 for two nights and the first £350 of it in a weeks time. Oh, and parents have to pick up and drop off at the airport. :lol:

Gosh. That's ridiculous.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve paid about the same for squeak’s three nights in Rome but she is leaving from school.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

That seems to be a little better, especially with leaving from school.

Thankfully The Child actually came out and said that it was outrageous and that she didn't want to go at the price, which made me a bit chuffed if I am honest.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

£700 still seems a lot to me but maybe that's with inflation. I've priced a similar trip at about £500-600 - setting off from school - for 3 nights though. School trips do cost a lot. Insurance, meals & transport all add up. Most people would never go full board on a city break so they don't necessarily factor that in when they're looking at a hair-raising price .

The insult really is the payment schedule. Ideally you want a 9-12 month lead in so you can structure the payments.

I am queasy about expensive school trips. I think they're inherently exclusionary but - at the same time - whilst I would take my own kids to Berlin, the vast majority of my students would never get the chance to go.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Its bollocks, frankly. One of us will take her ourselves on a £40 Easyjet flight from Bristol airport which would be about the cost of the pick up and drop off to be added to the cost of the school trip.
kiwi

Post by kiwi »

Have you looked at easyJet flights to Berlin lately? No more cheap as chips trips these days. :cry:
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Well yeah, 40 quid would be amazing but still.
Luce

Post by Luce »

Topcat wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 10:10 pm Haha! I've just been sent an email from the school about a trip to Berlin.

We’ve just had a similar email for the year 11 Geography field trip to Naples. £900 for 3 nights and they’d like £200 of that this month :cry: It’s also just for the Geog lot so will be super obvious if you’re the only one not going. Bloody hell. I’d love to see Pompei too!
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Funny you should say that.

There is another email on the way for five days in France by coach for a mere £600. The trip is in July, I suspect the bulk of this will need paying before Christmas..
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

£520 for 4 night in Newquay. :wave:
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Newquay is awful. At least some of the others sound appealing, cost aside. :lol:
Little My

Post by Little My »

:lol:

Perhaps everyone is going a bit mental now, after all the covid restrictions.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

L’s trip to Iceland was about £1100 and oversubscribed.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I can't wait until I get all these demands X2. :lol:
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Oof, that will be some sticker shock, Ken! Pick your favourite. :))
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

wendy james wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:52 pm Newquay is awful. At least some of the others sound appealing, cost aside. :lol:
The Newquay trip is all water sports and massively active - surfing, kayaking, coasteering, SUP, etc. They are in the go with surf school and such all the time and they have an absolute blast! Even though I wouldn’t want to go to Newquay myself. :))