Tiny Turtle Hatchlings

Princess Morripov

Re: Tiny Turtle Hatchlings

Post by Princess Morripov »

Ugh, I hated weaning, and I was massively lazy and just bought pouches and jars, I am definitely not looking forward to that again :lol:

I found cheese spread sandwiches and toast good for BLW though, and those gross vegetable crisps that melt in their mouths :lol: I did a bit of a mixture and let Tupac feed himself with less messy things :twitch: and I’d spoon feed in pouches or yoghurts.

I’m assuming I can work the same hours when I go back (tues-fri) and will pull the same Friday stunt and wfh with Biggie. Tupac will have started nursery at school then so at least I won’t be working around too. Luckily my current childminder can juggle some stuff around to accommodate us and keep to her quota so we are sorted for now. It’s such a faff trying to find something that suits work/availability etc though, I hope you both get something sorted. Both of mine have been booked in before they were born as there isn’t a lot in terms of nursery/childminder around here.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Kenickie wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:54 pm I think you need a spreadsheet with some complicated formulas, Leap.
It was my spreadsheet that threw me into a tizzy :lol: We’ve spoken about it since and I think I’ve narrowed some things down. I think realistically that I need to strongly present 3 days as my preference to work, and work from there on whether they would agree to it and what 3 days vs 4 condensed days would work out.

What we’re now tentatively planning would be that I would have Hop for 2 days, C would have 1 day, my mum has already offered 1 day and we’re pretty sure PIL will also be up for a full day*, meaning potentially no nursery required just yet. The logistics of all of this are still baffling but at least it gives us somewhere to work from (and then blow up when work tells me No :ella: ).

*I don’t think I’ve mentioned this, but PIL have bought a house round the corner from us! It’s a new build and will be finished in July. They’ve been looking to move for longer than C and I have been together and been massively indecisive on what they wanted, but since retiring last year have decided being close to family is top of their list. Luckily C’s only sibling lives in Aberdeen, so we win the in-law lottery :lol: I’m sure it will have its challenges but they are great, good company and they love Hop to bits.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Sorry I’m on broadcast only, drunk on the buzz of having sung Hop back to sleep when she stirred an hour ago :lol: I feel like a magician.
Luce

Post by Luce »

That is good news about the in-laws!

Quick thing about nursery and sorry if you already know this - a lot of nurseries (but not all!) have a minimum time per week you can send them for - I think in theory it avoids disruption for the child because it can be quite hard to settle if you're only there 1 morning or 1 day a week. Might be worth having in the back of your mind if you're not sure you can cover all days - you might not be able to find a nursery you like that would only take Hop for 1 day. Hopefully you'll have it all covered anyway but you might want to factor it in your spreadsheet! :))
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

That's so brilliant that you will have family so near, and that they will be up for regular childcare. I'm well jell. ;)

I hadn't realised that about childcare, Lucy.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

That's fab news. Hopefully you'll find a nursery that does just one day a week. I know there's some round here that allow you to do it.

On the back of the sleep thread, I've just made the massive mistake of testing out what happens if I leave conchie, rather than feeding him straight away. As I suspected, things escalated from chatter, to getting upset and instead of being able to feed him back to sleep in a few minutes on my side, while I doze. After half an hour, I've resorted to picking him up to feed him, while I sit up. I'm now grumpy and wide awake and he's still not back in his bed. I won't be trying that again any time soon! :lol:
Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

There’s one nursery by me that will do one day a week but I think generally they only ever have a Friday available as that’s usually a day that people that work part time would be off.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Rhodonite wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:38 am That's fab news. Hopefully you'll find a nursery that does just one day a week. I know there's some round here that allow you to do it.

On the back of the sleep thread, I've just made the massive mistake of testing out what happens if I leave conchie, rather than feeding him straight away. As I suspected, things escalated from chatter, to getting upset and instead of being able to feed him back to sleep in a few minutes on my side, while I doze. After half an hour, I've resorted to picking him up to feed him, while I sit up. I'm now grumpy and wide awake and he's still not back in his bed. I won't be trying that again any time soon! :lol:
This is exactly the type of thing that would happen to me when I tried to change or influence behaviour :lol: It’s bad enough being wide awake without kicking yourself for possibly being the cause of it!

The one nursery I’ve contacted did only offer one day but in any case I’m sure that spot has gone now. It’s good to know that might not be the case elsewhere though, I did wonder as I also worried that just one day of nursery might be quite tough on her for settling in. I’m really hoping the family care will work out, even if we just do it for the first few months and then we can establish how best nursery would work in with everything.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Oh no, Rhod. I guess it at least proves you've been doing the right thing? Mine were both a nightmare last night, wanted feeding every 90-120 mins and wouldn't settle after. Maybe today we will get a good day and a good night. :fc:
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

Fingers crossed you don't need nursery at all just yet, Leap.

We've had an awful morning. Took over an hour to settle little one in the end, then he only slept for a short time before he woke up crying! It's taken me until 10.45 to get him to go back to sleep. He's been so over tired. It could all just be a coincidence of course, but I won't risk it again tonight, just in case!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Sorry you're having such an awful morning. Mine are really over tired too. Topsy is completely refusing to sleep.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Sorry, I missed your post leap. I hope family care does work out for you, it sounds ideal.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

Must be something in the air or maybe a leap going on.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

We have a tooth! :bel: And dare I say it, it arrived with very little of the expected fuss :look: Hop is actually sleeping SO well at the minute, 7 and 8 hour stretches, plus she did a random 2 hour nap yesterday afternoon when she normally does 30 mins max. I only noticed last night because she was taking a long time to settle - not upset, just shouty and wide awake in the face of all my best tricks. Weirdly, after I discovered the tooth (finger gnawing suddenly having a jaggy edge) and got C to come up and see, she went straight to sleep :lol: Glad to see her communication is developing :))

I actually felt a bit bereft after it, which I hadn’t expected! How can my wee baby have a tooth?! It makes me quite glad most changes are so gradual, I don’t appear to be set up to cope with sudden ones.

How is everyone doing - has sleeping settled down at all?
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

A tooth! :love: I'm glad it came through without much fuss. We've got lots of drooling going on here, so definitely the start of the teething.

We had the health visitor again today. We got his little sippy cup ready for weaning at 6 months and his toothbrush and toothpaste for when he gets his first tooth!

He's had a horrible cold though, and keeps gagging on the mucus in his throat and this morning his poor wee eyes were all gunked up, almost totally shut.

Don't need to see her again until his 8 month milestone review. So I'm pleased about that.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Tooth! Very exciting! Although I'm a bit fearful of feeding with teeth so I'm hoping mine are very late with theirs.

Being given a sippy cup and a toothbrush is so cute! I really like the Scottish way of doing things.

Hope Conchie's better soon, that sounds tough for him.

The least said about sleep the better here. Tonight's not been so bad but the last few have been like newborn level. They've also been feeding loads since Christmas, about ten times a day when they'd previously gone down to six. Despite all this, I feel you on the growing up thing, Leap, my crazy hormones are finding it really hard that they're moving up clothes sizes etc and are no longer teeny tiny and are making me feel like I want loads more babies. :lol: :look: Don't worry, there's realistically no way I want to be pregnant again and I couldn't cope with any more but it's such a strange feeling.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

I'd love another baby too, but realistically I don't think we will. Apart from hating pregnancy, I think D and I are both getting too old. We both said last night that it's a shame we didn't start a family sooner. I also have this feeling that we'd be pushing our luck, having a 3rd.

Anyway, onto the current little pea. He has his last lot of jags today, so it's feeling out of sorts. I feel so sorry for him.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Poor little boy. I hope he cheers up.

I've started late but I'm quite pleased we waited until I was properly ready. Plus I probably wouldn't have had twins if I wasn't so old. ;)

I think Topsy has conjunctivitis, but the NHS site seems to say not to take her in unless her eye is red, which it isn't.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

Yes, the HV said to me yesterday that unless the whites of the eyes are red, then not to worry too much. Just keep them clean with cooled, boiled water. You can even try gently rubbing a finger down the side of her nose, as it could be a blocked tearduct.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Thanks, will try rubbing her nose!