Tiny Turtle Hatchlings

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Re: Tiny Turtle Hatchlings

Post by Kenickie »

:lol:
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

I could have sworn I replied to this a few hours ago, but I guess I forgot to submit it!

Could they be teething, maybe? It can take a wee while for teeth to actually appear, but they can be in pain for good bit before they do pop through. Might be worth trying with teething gel / powder, although it might not help.
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Oh god Ken, that sounds SO hard. And honestly, WHY any partner would even try that argument, especially the one who is not breastfeeding is beyond me (can you tell we’ve already had our initiation over here? ;) ).

We actually had a mad one yesterday too, although nowhere near as bad. It matches general clinginess of this age (7-8 months) as she understands more, and maybe leap 6 - just very clingy and last night complete refusal to be put down in the cot, as in heartbreaking sobs each time I tried it despite her being on schedule for a nap/sleep. I ended up having a night that I haven’t had since she was VERY young, where like Topsy she would feed to sleep, when I would pop her off and let her sleep in the crook of my arm for her to get some rest. This went on until midnight and of course it was the first night out C has had in months so I had no one to bring me snacks or water or headphones :cry:

It comes with LOTS of cuteness though, she’s very chatty just now and by chance the noise she repeated most often all day yesterday was “Um-um-um” which of course very often sounded just like “Mum” :love2:

Fingers crossed all round for better nights tonight.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I hadn't thought about teething. I'm going to try and get out tomorrow so will have a look at stuff. Any recommendations?

That's so typical that it was when C was out. I'm sorry you had a bad night too. Fingers crossed they're going to all catch up tonight.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

How was Hop last night?

We had a MUCH better night. We essentially gave up on them sleeping in cots for the first part of the night, as that led to screaming, so from about seven til ten we just cuddled them and watched telly and had some wine, which made things less stressful. And then we managed to put them both down asleep, and they stayed there happily. :disco: They still woke up for food every two to three hours, but it was back to normal ie eat, cuddle, down in cot.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

What a result Ken, that’s great news. Do you have calpol? That’s what I started S on, then we moved to ibuprofen when he was old enough for that.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

We do. It often gets spat back out, but I've had a bit more success recently giving it on a spoon so I'll try that.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

I'm pleased you had a better night! I don't have any specific recommendations for teething stuff, as I didn't really find anything worked with J. Sorry that's not very helpful. But I will try a mixture of gel, powder and calpol for Conchie when he starts suffering with it, to see if anything works for him. Then there's the cold wet cloth for them to chew on and lots of teething toys! Basically I'll try anything!
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Have you done the shoving a dummy in immediately after the syringe trick, Ken? Syringe in one hand, dummy ready in the other.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I hope Conchie is more amenable than J then!

Ooh, I haven't, Cerise. Do you syringe the whole thing in at once then dummy or bit by bit?
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I’m not sure what my sister used to do so you could try half doses maybe.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Thanks, will do!

I now have ibuprofen as well in case they tolerate that any better!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Oh god, that sounds awful. Massive sympathy and a bit of solidarity as although mine aren't awake all night, we're still having very frequent wake ups. I guess it might be a stage but that probably doesn't help when you're in the thick of it.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I read somewhere that ssshing is a good stress relief as you can do it really angrily but it doesn't come across. ;)

I meant it must be a stage rather than might be a stage - I doubt she'll still be doing this at 30. ;) I'm glad she's cheery but it must be so difficult coping with it on top of pregnancy tiredness. I hope it's very short lived as a phase.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I hope that day is soon!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

They're five months old today. It doesn't feel like they've been around that long, although I'm also forgetting what it was like without them. They're both such a pleasure (when they're not tired or hungry etc) and are already quite different. Both of them really laugh at things now which is so sweet, and they love being sung and read to. We went to a music class today and in one bit they were both on my lap and were supposed to be banging a drum, but they couldn't as their outside hands were too far away and they just wanted to hold hands with their inside ones. :love:

They'd be pretty perfect if they actually slept. :lol:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

9-4 is good, I hope that's the end of her bad phase now (and she starts going even longer).
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Happy 5 months to the twins! :bel:

I have great sympathy for the sleep troubles. We are on almost alternate nights of good sleep/bad sleep (‘good’ having been redefined as stretches of 3 or more hours) and it is hard going after a really good run of thinking we were finally moving towards something like sleeping through (5/6 hours or more at a time). I know it is definitely linked to her development because even without her following the leap 6 markers we can see big changes almost daily, but nothing really makes being woken up after 90 minutes any better in the moment!

Thankfully one of the leap 6 signs she’s showing is the odd but accurate ‘acts unusually sweet’, so we are also having lovely days to counter the zombified nights :))
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

Happy 5 months, Topsy and Tim! Isn't it strange how much faster 5 months goes, now they're here, but 5 months of pregnancy dragged!

We have lots of laughing here too. Today, J was dancing around and Conchie was absolutely cracking up at him! It was so cute.

We've had a terrible week of bad sleep. Between me not getting back to sleep, Conchie awake every 2 hours and J in our bed because he was ill (and awake for an hour the night for a few nights), I don't think I got a full stretch of sleep last week.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Awww they all sound so lovely. And it must be so nice to see the sibing interaction.

It's definitely going much faster than pregnancy and is a million times nicer!

How's everyone's sleep? Ours was getting better and then last night we had waking up every hour and a half. And each at different times. :ruby:

#728 on things you'd never think people would object to -someone in one of my twin FB groups asked about gro clocks and someone thinks they emotionally damage children by showing them you're not always available, and what if they're seriously ill?! Honestly.