Homeschooling Help

Cerise

Re: Homeschooling Help

Post by Cerise »

I’m bringing my homeschooling chat here so that those that aren’t suffering don’t have to read it!

The two lessons (maths and RE) attempted so far for J (Yr7) had an IMPOSSIBLE amount of work in them! I know they’ll need to level it out but you would have thought that would start lightly to help establish a routine.

They’re having a break in the garden now and I’m just going to go out and blow my whistle to end it. :))
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

We’re doing OK so far. L finished geography and started maths a bit early and they had a half hour football break. L has now started on drama, I should go and check what he’s doing. A has done some worksheets and spent some time puzzle solving. I think he’s writing a story at the moment but he can’t get on to his maths website.
Glint

Post by Glint »

Youve both been more productive than me, one note isn't functioning properly, so we have done Joe Wicks (until he froze), a planning timetable and a bit of sumdog. He's currently watching a Horrible Histories.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

It turns out drama is a quiz and word search about Shakespeare. I was hoping to find him reciting speeches, possibly to the badger skull he has on his desk.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Cerise wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:35 pm They’re having a break in the garden now and I’m just going to go out and blow my whistle to end it. :))
Brilliant. :lol:

We have a timetable from the school and live classes kicking off at 9am. Maths, English, science and Spanish are all time tabled and you have 2 slots throughout the day to pick one an ‘enrichment activity’ music, art, PE, library, stem or media. There are set activities for each of these too.

M requires quite a bit of supervising between live classes so I’m getting nothing done.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Our school is using J2E and it's been down all morning, so we've Joe Wicksed, then we did some reading, then shoved them in the garden for morning break, then did the one task that managed to be uploaded, which was a welcome task and the same for all of them.

J2E seems to be working now and YR and Y5 have work set, but we're going to tackle that after lunch. The biggest hassle so far is logging in and out of the site for each child on my chromebook, so I'm trying to think of the best way to allocate each a tech device.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

The chaps have done some computer science, Mathswatch, Geography - which was set online.

I've now told them to recreate the trench system (the SAM) and a motte & bailey castle (N) on MineCraft.

I'm going to chuck them in the car and drive to the top of a hill in a bit to get them some fresh air.
Little My

Post by Little My »

Our home learning was launched today, but it's a bunch of links to figure out and accounts to set up (I already have my own giant list of links that I need to go back and make sense of!). And it's glaringly not covering Grade 5 math for some reason. I clearly need to work my way through the information for parents section before making sense of it all.

We have math* and literacy to work on today that needed finished up from school anyway, with added exercise, music practice and a bit of art. It'll be right. Honestly, we're starting with a 'tidy your room' period because they both slept in pillow forts last night and their rooms are destroyed! :lol:

* They are both, handily, working on multiplication so I will use a deck of cards today to practice math facts. https://www.weareteachers.com/math-card ... M.facebook
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Ruby wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:34 pm The chaps have done some computer science, Mathswatch, Geography - which was set online.

I've now told them to recreate the trench system (the SAM) and a motte & bailey castle (N) on MineCraft.

I'm going to chuck them in the car and drive to the top of a hill in a bit to get them some fresh air.
This is kind of what I'm doing in lieu of getting at least something from the school. Kind of makeshift lessons Including stuff like TT Rock stars, Khan, Netflix and Minecraft. 😂

Geography?! Music?! OMG. There is no chance.
Morganna

Post by Morganna »

A friend of mine teaches yoga to primary school children, and is setting up online classes via Zoom. She has put this on Facebook, and I thought I would post it on here in case anyone is interested:

I am a primary teacher and teach yoga to over 600 local children in their schools each week. My classes are all taught through storytelling and give your child a chance to exercise and relax in a fun way. Many of your children will already know me. I am about to start live online yoga classes for children on a daily basis, offering a different story each day. If you are interested in your family joining my classes please contact me by email on debbiemacalister@hotmail.com. I will get back to you in the next couple of days with an invitation to join. There will be a small charge. In the meantime please download ‘zoom’ on your laptop and please share this information with other families who have young children. Thank you very much .
Little My

Post by Little My »

Topcat wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:25 pm Geography?! Music?! OMG. There is no chance.
We're only doing music because we normally do instrument practice.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Master D’s having his piano lesson via Skype RIGHT NOW. Technology’s pretty cool!
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

There are lots of YouTube tutorials that teach piano like Guitar Hero on the Wii used to. If your child has access to a keyboard, that’s quite good fun.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

I threw a tantrum today :lol: 4 different apps for each different child and no cohesion between the work at all. I think the teachers have been amazing managing to send it all out but at one point i was doing literacy with Cube, geography with Betty and reading the time with Elf all whilst being badgered on various apps and hounded by questions. So I stamped my foot, had a cry and then pulled myself together.

Now I’ve got the hang of them all I don’t think it’ll be too bad and having the worksheets done was really helpful.

We did Joe Wick, school set things, break time and snack, finished the school set stuff, lunch, sign language then art/cub badge work. The afternoon was really lovely.

I’m trying to get them to write a daily diary as it might be something they’d like to look back on when they’re older.
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

Topcat wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:25 pm
Ruby wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:34 pm The chaps have done some computer science, Mathswatch, Geography - which was set online.

This is kind of what I'm doing in lieu of getting at least something from the school. Kind of makeshift lessons Including stuff like TT Rock stars, Khan, Netflix and Minecraft. 😂

Geography?! Music?! OMG. There is no chance.
We’re doing chrome music lab where kids basically can jab at buttons, pick different instrument sounds and create beats or learn to recreate songs they like from YouTube. It’s free and actually good fun. Definitely worth looking at.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

Cheers olive, I'll have a look.

I do hey the feeling that I'm not taking this seriously enough, but then I'm also supposed to be working abbe fielding calls from my director and my team, it's quite tricky really.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Topcat wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:29 pm Cheers olive, I'll have a look.

I do hey the feeling that I'm not taking this seriously enough, but then I'm also supposed to be working abbe fielding calls from my director and my team, it's quite tricky really.
Have school not sent work, mog?
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Cube has been sent a work book via Showbie for a few subjects. If you haven’t anything I can work out how to screenshot and send them over.
Topcat

Post by Topcat »

No, nothing at all so far. If they had then I'd be all over it but I'm a bit lost without at least an idea of what it is she is supposed to be learning. :lol:
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Print some Yr6 stuff off Twinkl! She’ll be delighted!

Actually, we don’t get sent stuff. We have to retrieve it from the school website.