Homeschooling Help

Kleio

Homeschooling Help

Post by Kleio »

I consisdered calling it Homeschooling Hell as I reckon very quickly many of us will want to double teacher salaries.

Our Scout Group is posting regular badges and activities children can do. Although non-beaver/cub/scout children can't actually earn the badges themselves they're a good list of activities you can use when you're at the wtf shall we do today point.

I don't want to pop the link directly in here as it's a bit identifying but I'll put it on the facebook page and can pop it over to anyone by pm. Feel free to share it though.

Also, a load of museums are doing virtual tours so it might keep kids occupied.

https://www.travelandleisure.com/attrac ... tual-tours
Froozy

Re: Homeschooling Help

Post by Froozy »

There’s been a few (million) links in our year WhatsApp group. I’ll dig through them but to start with

American list of education companies offering free subscriptions: https://kidsactivitiesblog.com/135609/l ... criptions/

Teaching resources for primary ages: https://www.sparklebox.co.uk/

Plus this
C69B74ED-DC48-4F61-9201-18018C26B0EC.jpeg
We’re also going to trial a singing session tomorrow using Zoom and possible play dates with the same thing/Skype. Not quite sure how that going to work yet.

Folk have also suggested doing treasure hunts and possibly decorating windows to form some kind of trail, but that’s still in the planning stage.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

Also this
A661DD82-512F-428D-AE5A-1B34BB07D988.jpeg
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I saw this one too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Oh that's quite cute!
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

This could be a good project for older children.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jet

Post by Jet »

Ive got tons of stuff - I’ll try and consolidate here. Some of the live or youtube stuff won’t work real time but all are available afterwards.
Half-ten?! Half-ten?! I've never been up at half-ten! What happens?
Dandelion

Post by Dandelion »

Can anyone tell me what sort of writing note books key stage one use? Is it just plain blue lines? Any particular width apart? Or link me up on Amazon, I want to order a couple for F.

They are sold out of virtually all their workbooks.
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

Once things have calmed down at school and I have prepared work for my own class, I'll come here to add things for Turtle children. I'm happy to be on the Turtle Teaching and Learning team.

In the meantime, I would suggest not using sparklebox (sorry) as the man who created it was a paedophile so it is banned in most schools. Twinkl is a brilliant and more up to date alternative and is offering free access. It has everything you need short term. Also Primary Resources and TES are great for worksheets and PowerPoints.

Are your children's schools writing to you about what they'll provide?
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Yes - we got a letter home on Tuesday (attached).

We still tend to have structure during the holidays (set snack times are very important for P’s sanity :lol: ) and my two do ‘school work’ all the time anyway. Earlier this week, Sproglette spent an evening creating two exercise books for Elvis so she can practice spelling and handwriting, for no reason other than Elvis wants to!

I’ve told them we’ll do a similar structure to the holidays, so periods of quiet time, outside time, active time, etc. with a list of options to choose from, but with study time too.

Twinkl is great, like HHC says. I’ve already promised the girls I’ll look for some reading comprehension exercises so they can do book reports or something as I’m sure they’ll be reading a lot. We also have a chemistry kit from Christmas. :weewee:

I asked the girls to come up with a list of things they’d like to learn about, and Elvis has done her list. It includes space, colours, cold/warm, as well as learning the recorder and how to tell the time.

I’m going to dig out the laptop and see if I can find a touch typing course for Sproglette, I think. I was a bit older (13) when I learnt but it’s a bloody useful knowing where the letters are on a touch screen too! We also have a full Spanish course that Elvis has shown interest in previously so they can do that.

I might try and anglicise that Lego list a bit, but definitely love that idea! We’ve already saved some of the Netflix recommendations and there’s a mix of educational and entertainment.

I’m very fortunate, I know. The girls love to learn and exercise and whilst not going out on cultural visits or to see family will affect how we spend our time, I’m not too worried about them. P on the other hand...
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Oh, somebody posted about actors reading Shakespeare plays, which caught Sproglette’s fancy. Let me see if I can find it.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.broa ... e-20200317
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

You are likely to get a more structured learning plan than that for the full closure. Our will be getting daily reading, writing, SPaG and maths tasks for the next two weeks. We’re supposed to post any answers on to the website the next day. I don’t feel it’s sustainable though (and also very, very dull) so hopefully it’ll loosen up a bit after (what would have been) the Easter break.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Yes, I presume that’s what will be on google docs. HHC asked if schools had written, not if we’d had a structured plan yet.

eta - I read that back and it sounds a bit arsey - wasn’t meant to! I’m sure the school will send more info out today.
Last edited by wendy james on Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhighlandcoo

Post by happyhighlandcoo »

There is touch typing on the BBC for children. It is narrated by a Scouse goat and is highly entertaining. Google BBC Dance Mat typing.
Last edited by happyhighlandcoo on Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Oh fab, thanks HHC!
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I have L’s Sats guide books from a couple of years ago. I can scan reading comprehensions if anyone wants some.
Froozy

Post by Froozy »

happyhighlandcoo wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:18 am In the meantime, I would suggest not using sparklebox (sorry) as the man who created it was a paedophile so it is banned in most schools.
Blimey, really? Do you have any links so I can spread the word? Thanks
Chicky

Post by Chicky »

Wendy I saw this and thought of your two

https://www.vogue.fr/fashion-culture/ar ... -free-2020
wendy james

Post by wendy james »

Aww, that's brilliant, thank you! We were going to see Swan Lake but that's been cancelled obviously, so we can watch it at home. :love:
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

That's great! There's also lots of full length ballets on YouTube (I have them on in the background sometimes).
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.